Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to study any length of time!!

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

As the title states I'm Unable to study any length of time. I'm horrible at Maths and Physics, I don't study them at all and as a result I'm geting NG's in Tests :D
    Any advice would be great, and No I can't drop down in subjects as I need maximum points!
    I'm well capable of doing them, teacher has told me so just I'm putting no time or effort into it. But I want to change and actually start working.
    Advice people I need Help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Give yourself two slaps on the face and get to work.

Laziness can be fought easily, you just have to find its weak point, lame massive damage joke and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Open your eyes perhaps? We're in a recession if you didn't already know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You want to change and actually start working. Okay. So start working?

Make it easier for yourself by setting aside a place and a time to do your work, where you won't be distracted or tempted. (For me it was straight after I'd gotten home and eaten, there was a spare room upstairs that had a table in it.) ie, don't work around where people will be pottering around, don't work near tvs, near computers, etc. Set aside the time you'll spend and then FOCUS. Don't go "oh an hour left... I'll just flick through some pages". You're fooling yourself if you think that's helping in any way. Maths and Physics are actually simpler to study than a lot of things because you're forced to be active when you're doing it. For maths - do problems. Problems after problems after exam papers and more problems. Practice. By doing problems it should help you to understand what it is exactly you're doing.

Don't give up because it's difficult. Keep working through it. The information is in your book, you should be able to do it. If you're spending hours at a particular section, okay, move on. Do something you know you can do if you're losing spirit. But don't neglect things you have difficulty with. Maybe ask someone in your class for help, or obviously your teacher.

With physics, of course also do problems, but it's a reasonably simple task to write out your definitions. Yup, comb the book for definitions (if you're using Real World Physics I THINK they're in yellow boxes.), write them out. Repeatedly, if necessary. Draw pictures to illustrate things. Explain to other people how, for example, x-rays are formed. Just don't sit there reading it out of a book.

And if you're lacking motivation... well, if you fail maths, you're almost certainly not going to college. Do you want to go to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

YDo you want to go to college?

Ofcourse I do, hence the reason for me needing to do everything at higher to get the course I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

K-Bowie wrote: »
    Ofcourse I do, hence the reason for me needing to do everything at higher to get the course I want.
    If you're in 6th year, then act like it.

If you're in 5th year, start doing your homework and study for tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

K-Bowie wrote: »
    Your desire to go to college should be channelled in to your desire to study to get the points to get in. So you should have plenty of motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

My technique involves using explicit language at myself. Seems to work.

"You want to go to f*cking college and be a f*cking doctor? Do some F*CKING work and don't let yourself be F*CKING miserable come August. Don't say I didn't f*cking warn you. F*ck."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sadly, no amount of 'wanting' or 'needing' to do Higher Level will get you to pass a Higher Level exam, much less get an A grade.

You have to do the work.

Listen in class, ask questions if you do not follow something and do your homework properly. This doesn't necessarily mean getting the questions 'right', it means doing your homework in such a way that you are sure you understand what is going on and why the answer is what it is.

You need to know the JC course inside out as it is taken as a given for Higher Level LC. You need to know the HL exam structure inside out and practice, practice, practice to get your timings right. The game of trying to predict what might come up and leaving pieces of the course out isn't one I'd recommend.

Break each course into sections, re-do all your homework for that section of the course and then extract exam questions on the topic. Do them as if they were exam questions and re-do them if you make mistakes. Do questions from the Ordinary Level papers too, as practice.

Advertisement