Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something Fun

• 15-10-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm scared to post this anywhere cause there is no area that seems suitable... anyway....

I am interested in electronics and computers etc... I want to build something relatively inexpensive and fun that won't be too much of a challenge (kind of gadgety).
    Can anyone recommend anything? I know its kind of like how longs a piece of string but still... :p

I was thinking about a homemade GPS but that seemed impossible. Also, a strong directional wifi antenna but... I don't know... I might still do this.

Anything else?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

How about Microprocessors? They are cheap (€7 ish), very powerful and there are endless things you can do with them for fun! For example you can use them to make basic robots that will be completely autonomous, as in they will actually “think” for themselves. You programme them with you computer through a PIC Kit (€40). The software comes with it. I am learning about them at present, very interesting. I still have alot to learn about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

would agree with fishdog - go for the PIC microprocessor stuff - plenty of interesting projects available in Elektor magazine - its available in Easons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Start off in Maplin with the kits that they do. They stock Velleman kits (http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/home/) and I have found them to be great.

Keep us posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Start off in Maplin with the kits that they do.

Yeah, agree. Maplin have some great starter kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

Wow... I'd never have thought of making microprocessors! I thought it would have been impossible.

Is there anywhere to look (internet) that would teach me about them and making them?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

make a remote controlled device that moves your satellite dish to the various positions it needs to be in to recieve data from the different TV broadcasting sattelites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I'd never have thought of making microprocessors!

You are using them rather than making them. They have 16 & 32 bit data registers, digital and analogue inputs and outputs. They can also input or output pulse width modulation type signals. This can be used to drive stepper motors (€16). Lots of cheap fun and learning!

You programme them using c.

As said earlier, I think Maplins would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you could also look at the life hacking forum and see if there is something to make there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Instructables.com

thousands of projects from easy to rocket science (not joking ! )

Advertisement