Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENNISCORTHY CLOSED FOR BUSINESS

Options
  • 15-10-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody see Enniscorthy featured on You Tube? The footage is a bit ropey but the point is clear enough. The town has been dying on its feet for the last few years and the current downturn in the economy is the coup de grace for many businesses in the town.

A handful of business people own almost all the commercial property in town and their rackrents are responsible for the appalling state the place is now in.

The Castle Museum is closed - and likely to remain so - pay no attention to the 2010 re-opening sign. The Athenaeum is a monument to the local leadership given by the RC Church authorities and across the street St.Mary's Church Institute stands derelict as a monument to the Church of Ireland.

Not shown in the video clip are the Super Valu shopping trollies in the Slaney - somewhat ironic given that they sponsor the Tidy Towns Competition. Also missing are the unpainted seats along the Shannon Quay, the burnt and badly maintained seating on the Promenade, the graffiti on the childrens playground etc.etc.....

It is difficult to believe that the town has two (!) Dail TDs - John Browne (until recently a Junior Minister) and Paul Kehoe FG Chief Whip. While John Browne can frequently be seen working flat-out in O'Briens Sandwich Bar (drinking coffee!!) Paul Kehoe is the original invisible man!!!

Anybody else any thoughts??:confused::confused::confused:

Try this link.

ENNISCORTHY GHOST http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=fi2Cd2eDOZY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

It doesn't surprise me. The town has been dying for years, it just needs the last rites.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

i started working in Enniscorthy in january, i was shocked how many businesses closed in the period of six months, i was even more shocked when i lost my job cause there was no business..

PS before any smart a*ses say anything, me gettin a job up there wasnt to blame!!! :p

I left there 20 years ago and the town was moribund then. But I'm hugely p*ssed off at how they've let the Athanaeum go to pot. It's a genuinely historical building FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

It’s a shame but it’s been along slow death for Enniscorthy. I think it’s been a combination of many reasons and there is no easy fix.
    The Tesco’s development would be a huge bonus but it must be very frustrating for the developer, a local man, to see the scale of objects from local small minded business men. I hope it gets the go ahead.
    The business community themselves have a lot to answer for, they have made very little investment in the town are slow to react to market trends and instead spend all there energy complaining about customers who go to other county towns to shop.
    The Dunne’s on Rafter Street closing is a big loss just for the aesthetics of the street; however I couldn’t believe that the council didn’t see it coming.
    The local council and councillors are rubbish and have been for years. The standard of the council is poor, poorly educated and with no vision. One of the side effects of the Celtic Tiger has been that clever business men who once joined local council’s and committees no longer have the time and instead have concentrated on their own business. This left us with a poor local council with no vision. The main aim of Enniscorthy Town council has been to waste money and try to fit as many speed bumps and pedestrian crossings into the town. And destroy the Market Square with a mass of granite steps and kerbs.
    On a larger scale the performance of our T.D.’s has been very disappointing. John Browne has done nothing at all for Wexford and Paul Kehoe is making a lot of noise but has little else to offer. Ivan Yates was a big loss to Wexford and Enniscorthy in particular. He is the only TD we have had in recent times and he would have been a cert for the FG leader position if he hadn’t left politics.
    The residents of Enniscorthy also have a lot to do with the situation in the town. Even in boom times there were high levels of unemployment. Most of this is second and third generation and is a career choice as oppose to a situation. They have no aspirations to work or progress themselves or the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

sundula wrote: »
    It’s a shame but it’s been along slow death for Enniscorthy. I think it’s been a combination of many reasons and there is no easy fix.
    The Tesco’s development would be a huge bonus but it must be very frustrating for the developer, a local man, to see the scale of objects from local small minded business men. I hope it gets the go ahead.
    The business community themselves have a lot to answer for, they have made very little investment in the town are slow to react to market trends and instead spend all there energy complaining about customers who go to other county towns to shop.
    The Dunne’s on Rafter Street closing is a big loss just for the aesthetics of the street; however I couldn’t believe that the council didn’t see it coming.
    The local council and councillors are rubbish and have been for years. The standard of the council is poor, poorly educated and with no vision. One of the side effects of the Celtic Tiger has been that clever business men who once joined local council’s and committees no longer have the time and instead have concentrated on their own business. This left us with a poor local council with no vision. The main aim of Enniscorthy Town council has been to waste money and try to fit as many speed bumps and pedestrian crossings into the town. And destroy the Market Square with a mass of granite steps and kerbs.
    On a larger scale the performance of our T.D.’s has been very disappointing. John Browne has done nothing at all for Wexford and Paul Kehoe is making a lot of noise but has little else to offer. Ivan Yates was a big loss to Wexford and Enniscorthy in particular. He is the only TD we have had in recent times and he would have been a cert for the FG leader position if he hadn’t left politics.
    The residents of Enniscorthy also have a lot to do with the situation in the town. Even in boom times there were high levels of unemployment. Most of this is second and third generation and is a career choice as oppose to a situation. They have no aspirations to work or progress themselves or the town.
    I agree but you could have left out the word Enniscorty and let the reader's fill in what ever town in Wexford they liked.
    Celtic tiger me'arse.

• Advertisement

I have to agree, particularly about the council and the residents themselves. The council appears to be pretty much teh saem shower of useless sh*te-talkers it always was. FFS, Sean Og Doyle was on the council when I was born 40 years ago, I think. What sort of new thinking can he honestly claim to bring to the table? And Peter Byrne has been on it since he left school. I'm amazed Charlie Kavanagh isn't on the council still.
    As for the residents, yes there is and always has been a culture of welfarism in the town, especially in certain areas where it would appear the dole card got passed from father to son. (And I always wondered how 20-odd years ago when there was huge unemployment in the town and further afield, Enniscorthy could afford to support 30-odd pubs.)
    It annoys the p*ss out of me, to be honest, because the town could be lovely. It looks okay, but there's a level of resignation in it that sickens me, from the appalling standard of the Echo's "journalism" to the way successive councils have let the town be gradually scarred by failing business and drifting poverty. They should be ahsamed of themselves rather than sitting smugly in their chambers waiting to be re-elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I would have to agree as regards the Council. Although I live closer to Gorey which is more vibrant and go ahead, this is more due to the recent influx of people than to the stagnant public representatives. I had hoped the new residents would have made a difference but unfortunately these people spend half the week working and the other half commuting, they have little spare time and what they have they would rather spend with their families than get involved in local affairs. The result of this is, those councillors we do hear of are usually posing beside some pile of rubbish dumped in a scenic area, for a publicity shot, rather than getting up off their a*ses and doing something about it. Hopefully in next year's local elections we can get rid of these wasters completely and get some new blood.

Bmaxi, you're right about needing new blood, but not just in the council, in the whole town. I knew a few people who moved to Enniscorthy because it was handy to commute to Wexford for work, but they didn't stay long. They all said that they didn't feel comfortable in Enniscorthy, which is hardly surprising given the amount of thuggery and violence on the streets back then. And I noticed the last time I was home (2 yers ago) that it hasn't changed much. There's a strange darkness about Enniscorthy.

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Bmaxi, you're right about needing new blood, but not just in the council, in the whole town. I knew a few people who moved to Enniscorthy because it was handy to commute to Wexford for work, but they didn't stay long. They all said that they didn't feel comfortable in Enniscorthy, which is hardly surprising given the amount of thuggery and violence on the streets back then. And I noticed the last time I was home (2 yers ago) that it hasn't changed much. There's a strange darkness about Enniscorthy.

I second that. I am living in enniscorthy my whole life, bar some stints in away for college and work, but anyone i know who came to the town for commuting purposes in recent years has never really felt like its become there home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Interesting reading, sad but alot of it is true. Welfarism, thuggery, poor leadership and a clannish vibe. I still love the town , with all its faults, its still home.

Closing the Athenaeum and Castle were major mistakes. Tesco won't change anything either way. A huge supermarket on the outskirts of town isn't going to help business. I love Tesco, but talk of it helping the Town is a White Elephant.

I blame the business's in Enniscorthy for all this. Year in year out they sold a very small variety of product at the highest price possible. People shop in Wexford, Waterford & Carlow for variety, quality and competitive pricing. Always did always will. Everytime I was looking for something in town, they didn't have it but could order it for me! Quicker to hop in car and get it yourself.

All the property is owned by a few. Rents are extremely high yet business doesn't reflect the rate of rent. Greed means that premises are locked up rather than rented at a "competitive", viable rate.

Enniscorthy is a Market Town with a Market Square so wise men got rid of the Market on the odd Tuesday, due to complaints from (expensive) business in the market square! Moved it out of sight, uphill.

The Strawberry Festival was very sucessful. Hopefully it will continue to grow as it gets little or no help from the business of the Town or County Council. It was very sucessful down the Prom in the late 70's early 80's. Every year the Councillors scolded the Fair for exra cost in cleaning the Prom. Yes thousands of people spending money will be messy! The Amusements and Stalls could still be on the Prom if the Council wanted! In full view of the N11, encouraging people to stop off in the town for a while.

Its a beautiful town. House prices and rents are as high if not higher than Wexford. It could be a great town. Just need to work positively and remove the old guard. Greedy unsustainable rent on commercial property will continue - they own the building - no mortgage therefore no rush to rent it out!

• Advertisement

I'm glad to see there are more of us who are less than impressed with the performance of local authorities. All that is needed is to change the attitude of those who vote FF, FG or whatever, do so "because my father and grandfather did" or "because his father was a councillor". My father was an electrician but I'm hard pressed to change a light bulb, so contiuing a dynasty for the sake of it rather than electing someone who can do a job doesn't make sense. We might as well have our own Royal Family. That should apply to National elections as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Sory folks but was eniscorthy ever actually OPEN for business,

I remember as a kid when the Strawberry fair was mostly on the river, and I can rememberthe series of small and seriously innociuos decisions that destroyed the whole thing IMO

twas the buildng of the new bridge that started all that off, the relocation to the top ofthe town was a temporary thing in the beginning, but as has been dscussed Councils, not enough power to do anythin of use but Shag the life out of the town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The relocating of Dunnes didn't help.
    I blame the stagnant polititians, what has J Browne ever done ?
    I think former FG'er Yeates at least tried to do something for the town.
    It definitely needs a major injection of a BIG businness, but........thats not going to happen in this 'current economic climate'.

The relocating of Dunnes didn't help.
    I blame the stagnant polititians, what has J Browne ever done ?
    I think former FG'er Yeates at least tried to do something for the town.
    It definitely needs a major injection of a BIG businness, but........thats not going to happen in this 'current economic climate'.

Browne was on S.E. radio the other day and was asked about the €53,000 he got, presumably because his boss thought he was f.a. use at his job. His answer was, "sure it's no big deal". I wonder how many of the people who are losing their jobs, or pensioners who are going to lose their Medical cards, or people with young families who can't pay their mortgages, would agree with him.

Sory folks but was eniscorthy ever actually OPEN for business,

I think that history shows that Enniscorthy was a very important market and trading town, but thats all history. However if you look at some of the business and business men that live and started off in Enniscorthy its impressive, its just a shame that there fortune hasnt carried on through the town.( not the fault of these guys )

Sam McCauleys - McCauleys Pharmacy's
    Jim Byrne - World of Wonder
    Dan Kickham - Datapac
    Ivan Yates - Celtic Bookmaker's

bmaxi wrote: »
    Browne was on S.E. radio the other day and was asked about the €53,000 he got, presumably because his boss thought he was f.a. use at his job. His answer was, "sure it's no big deal". I wonder how many of the people who are losing their jobs, or pensioners who are going to lose their Medical cards, or people with young families who can't pay their mortgages, would agree with him.

I am glad he has taken such a casual attitude to his 'FF pat on the head now do what your told money" and i hope the people of Wexford remember it when it comes to election time. Its the only way that politicians will learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think that history shows that Enniscorthy was a very important market and trading town, but thats all history. However if you look at some of the business and business men that live and started off in Enniscorthy its impressive, its just a shame that there fortune hasnt carried on through the town.( not the fault of these guys )

Sam McCauleys - McCauleys Pharmacy's
    Jim Byrne - World of Wonder
    Dan Kickham - Datapac
    Ivan Yates - Celtic Bookmaker's

I beg to differ with your comment 'not the fault of these guys' as one of them in particular is one of the property owners that I referred to in my original post that excercises a stranglehold on property rental in Enniscorthy.:eek:

Careful now... no libellous statements please.

I beg to differ with your comment 'not the fault of these guys' as one of them in particular is one of the property owners that I referred to in my original post that excercises a stranglehold on property rental in Enniscorthy.:eek:

Its hard to see how anyone could have a monoply on the rental market given the number and variety of vacant rental properties in Enniscorthy

Its hard to see how anyone could have a monoply on the rental market given the number and variety of vacant rental properties in Enniscorthy

I suggest that you try renting a property yourself and see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Rents do seem high. Its hard to see how one could sell enough to cover rent, rates, heat, electric etc.

If rents are comparable or similar to Carlow or Wexford, then I know were I'd prefer to set up shop (excuse the pun!)

Parking is also a big problem and quite expensive. A large retail park with free parking will increase the problem but then it adapt or die, commercial evolution. Retail parks survive and prosper because they provide free parking, quality, and a large variety of goods in stock at competitive prices.

The business' in Enniscorthy will need to be inventive and more competitive to survive. They need to try to encourage people to shop in the town. People will vote with their wallets. The main street in Wexford is always packed, it seems to trive, yet Wexford also has Tesco, Lidl and 2 Aldi's!

I've aslways thought that perhaps Enniscorthy has too many small businesses. For a town of about 9000 people, it has quite a sizeable commercial area, from the bottom of the Esmonde Road to the end of Island Road and from Templeshannon to Bellfield. Anad a lot of shops are selling the same things, so ti's amazing any of them are making a buck at all. I'm amazed that some shops are still going at all, given that even 20 years ago when I was living there they were struggling.

This thread has veered off subject slightly as there is more wrong with Enniscorthy than just extortionate rents. There is little or no civic pride in the place, no leadership from the Council and those businesses that prosper put very little back into the town. There are a handful of businesses that present their premises in a attractive way and the rest are a shambles. There is a rough element living in the town and there is little evidence of effective law and order. At nightime the streets become the domain of the 'boy racers' and later on the drunks and other misfits.

The Garda station must rate amongst the most well appointed of its kind in the country, and they certainly have a wonderful display of police hats from around the World in the entrance foyer but as for a presence on the streets.....

As I mentioned in my OP the state of the river and adjacent public seating, playground etc. is also disgraceful but why do I bother nothing is ever going to change - is it? I grew up in a larger East Coast town in which the UDC also presided over the total run-down of the place and Enniscorthy is no different. :(:(:(

JD, the problem with the rougher element is that they have been in the town for generations. Enniscorthy has always been a rough town. Just ask anyone why Warsaw was called Warsaw and you'll see that this goes back many moons. Why the cops don't do anything about it is another question and one perhaps only they can answer. While I wouldn't advocate a return to the questionable policing practices of years gone by, there must be more that the Gardai can do about the ****ehawks beating people up in the Square or on the bridge. To be honest, I've never felt as threatened anywhere as I do in Enniscorthy and I've travelled a lot.
    The coucnil could also do something. I'm not asking for much, just something. Perhaps introducing an alcohol ban in certain areas, so tat the boozers are coralled in the pubs rather than on the streets. I eman, after all the eyars they've sucking at the public tit, you'd think they'd eventually actually do something, wouldn't you?

I never had the need to enquiry or query commercial rents any where but i would have thought Enniscorthy would be at the lower end of the scale. However if you say its commercial rents are near to or on a par with a town with a population like Carlow then there is something not right. And as you say why would a business limit itself to a small town when it could rent in a much larger area.

I have to agree with both of you on many points. I think this country has plenty of existing laws regarding drinking in public, public disorder and the boy racers - they just need to enforce them.

I have had the recent misfortune to see the Gardai in close operation as they examined the scene of a robbery at my parents house. The whole process wouldnt fill you with any confidence.
    The whole think is a process of excuses.

" You should cut down your front trees so your house is visible from the road it just attracts them"
    - its your fault for wanting some privacy
    " You shouldnt keep any valuables in the house it only attracts them"
    - so where exactly do you keep your stuff ??
    " Very little chance of getting any evidence - these guys watch to much CSI and they know not to leave anything"
    - we couldnt be bothered looking
    " We will let you know if we hear anything"
    - we will never contact you again and you dont contact us
    " They were probably from Dublin, we have noticed a unusual looking D reg car in town over the past few mondays"
    - its never locals, an imaginary gang drove from dublin to break into your house steal about €100 in a coin jar, one old 5510 NOKIA phone and a DVD player?? what a massive haul to split between the gang as they return to Dublin, lucky we have no local criminals garda or else your hands would really be full.

The building boom seems to have done little for Enniscorthy except create more 'ghettos'

PS. If you see any tree loving dub's with a Nokia 5510 watching their CSI box set on a hot DVD player while counting out 20 and 50 cent coins please contact the Enniscorthy Garda Station.

Sundula, you hit the nail on the head. A few years ago I was home on holiday and my brother and a mate and myself were walking through the Market Square. We were attacked by seven young hoors who had nothing else to do and my brother and mate were both taken to the hospital (one for stitches, one because he was beaten unconcious). When the Gardai eventually arrived (and only after being called by the ambulance), they took me on a drive around the town and I identified the ringleader (who was a member of a fairly notorious family - clearly the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). They got out and had a word with him and he said he'd kicked my brother in the head. When I asked them were they going to arrest the guy, they said "No evidence." I pointed out that the bloke had admitted to assaulting my brother and the cop waved me away with a lofty "Here in Ireland we require proof. It's innocent until proven guilty."
    I then pointed out that in NZ we had a thing called assault and it was perfectly legal to arrest someone on suspicion of it, epsecially if they admit it to a uniformed police officer. He told me to get out of the car and make my own way home. I got a couple of punches form the guy and his mates, bnut I gave a few back too, so I wasn't too worried, but I was disgusted by the actions of the police, who were clearly too cowardly to arrest the guy while his mates were there.

No discipline in the Gardai, simple as that. It would seem that after their probation they are just left to their own devices. I remember in Gorey a couple of years ago, before the bypass, two Gardai standing opposite the Coach House pub at the entrance to the town watching chaos develop as motorists continually blocked the box junction and doing absolutely nothing to resolve the problem. I can understand how they have become apathetic, with the way the politicians and the judiciary abdicate their responsibilities and how often, months if not years of work are wasted on the whim of some well intentioned, though misguided judge but surely a degree of intuition could be used. Seriously off topic now but we really have only ourselves to blame, by continuing with parish pump politics which leads to incompetent, self serving government and the knock on effect that has in the public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

shocking,
    this video only shows the places that are closing down, and putting ppl off visiting, taking the look off the town, no matter what video they make they will never EVER take away the history of this town, its one of the most historic places in Ireland if not THE WORLD!!!
    All you got to do is visit vinegar hill,

Do It

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

akenny01 wrote: »
    shocking,
    this video only shows the places that are closing down, and putting ppl off visiting, taking the look off the town, no matter what video they make they will never EVER take away the history of this town, its one of the most historic places in Ireland if not THE WORLD!!!
    All you got to do is visit vinegar hill,

Do It

Good luck

I beg to differ
    I was born in the 'scorty, and after being back there the last few weeks, I'd say there are a lot more premises that they could have shown.
    The place is a joke, the UDC have to take most of the blame but the average scalder doesn't give a $hite about the place, so why would the UDC bother to do anything about the fact that the place looks like a town from in the 80's somewhere east of the berlin wall.
    I hate to see it like that but it will never change until people start making a noise about it. Ok it's a historic town but "one of the most historic places in Ireland if not THE WORLD!!! " is a bit over the top :)

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

is it though. u need to learn a bit more history HONESTLY.

also, hopefully steven spielbergs film will rebuild the greatness of this town ( hes going to do a movie about 1798) . if you dont know who he is then

:eek:

Advertisement