Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENNISCORTHY CLOSED FOR BUSINESS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Good God
    Be careful who you tell to learn more about the history of the town dude, I might know more than you think.
    The Spielberg film about 98 was proposed but if its made (which I doubt it will be) it won't just be about Vinegar Hill (though a decent battle scene there would be cool).
    As for knowing who Spielberg is.......didn't he just win the US election? :cool:

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Its a beautiful town with great potential.

People need to take pride and take the initiative. (We all seem to be waiting for someone to come to town and do it for us!)

A town needs a centre and we seem to be killing the centre. The square looks great but a market would look so much better. We closed the traditional market stalls and then decades later opened a farmers market in a car park!

Floods is gone, theres no central meeting point anymore.
    Any positive ideas or recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Good God
    Be careful who you tell to learn more about the history of the town dude, I might know more than you think.
    The Spielberg film about 98 was proposed but if its made (which I doubt it will be) it won't just be about Vinegar Hill (though a decent battle scene there would be cool).
    As for knowing who Spielberg is.......didn't he just win the US election? :cool:

HB
    Mod Edit: akenny01 banned for personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

akenny01 wrote: »
    sssh you little prat,
    he is actually going to do one on the 1798 rebellion base on vinegar hil,
    Not only was in the crappy news paper, It WAS On his main site ;)
    So It will be made you little tool, trying to be smart LOL doesnt suit ya,
    n00b

What age are you?

sssh you little prat,
    he is actually going to do one on the 1798 rebellion base on vinegar hil,
    Not only was in the crappy news paper, It WAS On his main site ;)
    So It will be made you little tool, trying to be smart LOL doesnt suit ya,
    n00b

nOOb?
    Seen your post count lately?
    As Statso has already observed, you're obviously some disillusioned newbie, and there's no need for name calling young man.
    Put yer head back in to the sand with the rest of the town and stop talking when grown ups are talking

HB

• Advertisement

akenny banned for a week.

back on topic people!

Cheers zaraba
    Anyway, it's not that I think that badly of the town, it's where I was born and I'll always call it home but its depressing to go home and see the state of the place. Gombeen politics at every level from town council to the laughable T.D.'s from the area
    Hope it changes, can't see it though :(

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

RKQ wrote: »
    Its a beautiful town with great potential.

People need to take pride and take the initiative. (We all seem to be waiting for someone to come to town and do it for us!)

A town needs a centre and we seem to be killing the centre. The square looks great but a market would look so much better. We closed the traditional market stalls and then decades later opened a farmers market in a car park!

Floods is gone, theres no central meeting point anymore.
    Any positive ideas or recommendations?

You hit the nail on the head. Even when you think of the river, it's almost ignored by the architecture. I took a kayak down the river a few times and noticed that a lot of the buildings have their backs to the Slaney. Anywhere else it would be a huge asset, but maybe Enniscorthy has lost its focus. And we need a proper town centre, not a permanent friggin traffic jam. People need to get more involved in the town, there is too much of a disconnect between the people and the actual town. And the more people who are engaged, the less chance the UDC has of ****ing it all up, because they know they'll be watched. It might also help of the Echo actually questioned some of the decisions the UDC takes, rather than simply reporting it as though it was the word of God being passed on to the mere mortals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bearhunter wrote: »
    It might also help of the Echo actually questioned some of the decisions the UDC takes, rather than simply reporting it as though it was the word of God being passed on to the mere mortals.

I'd say the local media think about advertising revenue before criticising the great and the good. Even a letters page would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi All, I would just like to start off by stating that this thread is a complete joke. The video on youtube shows the towns streets in a way I never see them, its v.hard to find castle hill down to either bridge without lots of cars on it. I reckon whatever joker made video made it at 6 am or something.

There are a fair number of premises up for let at the moment but same in every town and city in Ireland, just look at some huge new shopping centres not far from Wexford that lay dormant.

Business comes and goes throughout the years, good and bad, town has improved in many areas, lots of eyesores gone, prom is cleaned up, old malt is now a shopping complex, out towards milehouse is all developed, old gethings truck yard gone and replaced with lidl and aldi, I could go on all day about improvements...

The population of the town has increased so much that all schools are above capacity and refusing students.

There are bad, useless, people in the town, and I dont mind saying that I wish all of them could be sent packing but miracles like that dont happen.

There are some great pubs in town and some pubs that I hate and thus avoid going there. I suppose the point is a town is made up of many types of people, every town is, and each of those people have their shops, restaurants, barbers, pubs etc

Places that have closed down recently did so because they werent doing well, end of, some shops in the town have been open 30-50 years and still going strong.

On a week to week basis I rarely ever cant find something that I want in the town as a consumer and if I cant find them in the town the internet usually provides an solution.

So sorry for a bit of brain dump but the whole thread is just redic and I just wanted to point out all the obvious arguments to points previously made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Any body that has had to drive through Enniscorthy will be more than aware of its traffic problems. Lots of cars doesnt mean that the town is fundamentally sound. I dont think the youtube video was suppose to depict the town at peak times it simple high lights the amount of closed and vacant premises.

Your view is some what rose tinted. Just because the population has increased in recent years doesnt mean all is well. It just shows that poor sods were forced to move further away from our large cities in order to find affordable homes and further highlights the failure by our council and governement to develop schools to match the housing estates they were granting planning permission too.

I think some of the views in this thread show that there is an under lying problem in the fabric of the town, well i certainly believe that there is. I also believe we have more than our fair share of closed businesses when you go around the rest of the country. Business may come and may go but Enniscorthy has seen far more home grown business go than come, many good business which were never replaced.

You can go on all day about the improvements if you want but i think you will find that the vast majority came from commercial investment from outside the town and not internal investment or decisions by the Co. Council. And some of the stuff 'developers' got away with is far from an improvement.

sorry :( i just dont like to see ppl dissing my hometown, it has a lot of potential to be much better :(

sorry i stepped out of line guys

in the video, there's a shop with the sign "closeing down"

if i put a sign in my shop, i wouldnt spell it like a 5 year old

sorry :( i just dont like to see ppl dissing my hometown, it has a lot of potential to be much better :(

sorry i stepped out of line guys

Hey akenny
    Welcome Back
    No need to apologise.
    I also love the town I was born in and like I said will always call it home.
    You're right, it has a lot of potential and could be a really nice place to live.
    Here's hoping...........

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hello - Anybody see the new Enniscorthy video - Enniscorthy Down Town - on You Tube? It is marginally more professional than the first effort but shows an entirely positive view of the 'thriving' town and this despite the fact that several more shops have closed since the first negative video. The streets remained rough at night, covered in dog poo and gum by day and even on St.Stephen's Day the local scumbags saw fit to smash the window of Whytes Music shop on Rafter Street. Nothing is going to change while the business people of Enniscorthy remain in denial. In this week's Guardian it is reported that Bunclody businesses have clubbed together to hire a private security firm to patrol their streets at night so poor is Garda coverage - what about it Enniscorthy? :)

See the video and weep at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvF2gIUgw0

thanks for the link mate, EXCELLENT VIDEO!!!

Should of used the tune
    MGMT - Kids, lol I played that looks even better :D , great video, Nice to see someone showing how good the town is aswell, shame he didnt actually show the hill, but still great, looks us look a great community

thanks

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Haha Im in that video.... more than once.

arseagon wrote: »
    Haha Im in that video.... more than once.

Seeing as theres some footage from Houlohans, I'm not suprised

:):):)

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Seeing as theres some footage from Houlohans, I'm not suprised

:):):)

HB

Quiet you.... can't be giving the whole thing away... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

This video (and its response commissioned by the Chamber of Commerce) was on the front page of the Guardian (or was it the Echo?) this week, anyone see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

See the video and weep at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvF2gIUgw0[/quote]

Great Video. I'm moving back to Enniscorthy in the next few weeks. It's been 10 years since I lived there. I'm looking forward to it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What is it you are looking forward to? The general air of decay? The boy racers and skangers? Trying to pick your way between the pools of vomit, dog poo, chewing gum and broken glass that litter the streets every morning? Or the prospect of attending the bulging dole office - the only growth industry in the town? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

What is it you are looking forward to? The general air of decay? The boy racers and skangers? Trying to pick your way between the pools of vomit, dog poo, chewing gum and broken glass that litter the streets every morning? Or the prospect of attending the bulging dole office - the only growth industry in the town? :(
    Nothing has changed then in 10 years excellent:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mickbyrne

I agree with a lot of the points raised, but Enniscorthy also has a lot going for it. Enniscorthy people and business need to invest time and money into the town to develop it. We can't expect others to do it for us.

Follow the link below showing some of the positives of Enniscorthy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvF2gIUgw0

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

I was in Enniscorthy yesterday, was like a ghost town at 3.30pm. I remember going in there every Saturday as a child with my gran to do her shopping in the L&N, and trying not to let the trolley take off down the ramp. Hope some more businesses open in it soon though, Rafter Street had tumble weed on it!

Advertisement