Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patch 3.0.2 gone live today

Options
  • 15-10-2008 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭

The pre-WotLK patch has been launched today, so what do people think of the changes that have been brought in? I didn't look at the patch notes before today, so some things were a surprise to me.

New mage talent builds so far kick ass. I have gone for deep frost with a 0/5/56. Strangely enough, the launched tree didn't match the calculator on the wow-europe website, so my planned build had to be changed slightly. But I like the 15% chance for a clearcast instant fireball. Almost imba :)

The changes in the character screens are odd. Bag space is saved if you own multiple mounts due to them being considered 'pets' now. The PVP tab is changed to 'currency' and takes account of all tokens, honour, etc.

I am a bit miffed that the epic 3-piece tailoring speciality sets had their stats changed from specific +magic to overall magic (e.g. spellfire changed from arcane+fire to +spell damage), as I had planned on levelling WotLK in frost, so had the frozen shadowweave set crafted by the time I dinged 70 last week. Would have gone spellfire spec if I had bothered reading the patch notes

What are people's opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

My realm isn't fully operational yet. Still getting horrific lag. Takes about 40 minutes to get from the character screen to fully logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yeah, lag and world server crashes seem to be the changes that are affecting the most people, the most consistently ;)

Still, a patch this size, I guess it is to be expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I am a bit miffed that the epic 3-piece tailoring speciality sets had their stats changed from specific +magic to overall magic (e.g. spellfire changed from arcane+fire to +spell damage), as I had planned on levelling WotLK in frost, so had the frozen shadowweave set crafted by the time I dinged 70 last week. Would have gone spellfire spec if I had bothered reading the patch notes

What are people's opinions?

This confuses me a bit,

Surely you should take this as a good thing?

I also have this set on my mage, and i think its amazing now that it will boost my arcane frost and fire.

Where is the downside to this?

Spec whatever way you want while still getting your bonus damage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

WellyJ wrote: »
    This confuses me a bit,

Surely you should take this as a good thing?

I also have this set on my mage, and i think its amazing now that it will boost my arcane frost and fire.

Where is the downside to this?

Spec whatever way you want while still getting your bonus damage
    It's a good thing AND a bad thing. I chose shadowweave because I wanted the +fr damage for the first few levels in WotLK. If I had known that the +spell dmg would have been generic, I would have gone spellfire for the set bonus, as i think the shadowweave set bonus is crap in comparison. Also, spellcloth is (or was) much cheaper than shadowcloth on my server, and motes of fire are much easier to farm than motes of water when you're frost specced, due to water elementals and their immunity to +fr dmg.

Also, lack of addons is annoying. The new cartographer = teh ghey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im on, been on ages now about 2 hours. Have respecced 2 lvl 70's and omg. Hunter is just stupidly imba, same with the lock. Played about a bit with my 53 warrior too and the dps jump is crazy 105 upto 160ish.

Also, certain mods/addons like xperl seem to disable ingame chat which is strange. Questhelper refuses to load. But id imagine a new version will be out tomorrow

Oh yeah, tried to pvp a warrior dual wielding 2 x 2h weps... i think i lasted abotu 2 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Anyone got a decent link for the patch? I don't have an active subscription but I like to keep up to date just in case :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Drake - there's mirrors on Wowwiki.com - link on front page.

I'm the same re: shadoweave - I have two parts made already and making shadowcloth for the third. Would have gone spell too.

Can anyone tell me how to activate my addons now? The addons button is gone from the character selection screen.

Cheers, got a rapidshare link :D

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/tags/wotlk/default.aspx

list of addons that work. ive tested the usuals and they seem fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I dont know about anyone else, but I'm hearing all my guildies etc saying how there chars have all been stronger, but mine, is pants.

I've been reading all over the net, how shadow priests are feeling ****ed over again, which we are. We dont accept that we are a dps class, we are a raid class, an essential part to every group.

A shadow priest is so useful its ridic, my guild find me indispensible in raids. The mana we give to the team, the added healing we give through casting offensive spells.

Shadow seem very nerfed, and im totally lost as to what to put my points in to make it better, and the priest community feel the same. I've broken my backside on hours of play to get good dps gear ( which is pants for shadow priests) and now im totally lost. Looks like i need to go back to holy, or try disc, which ive never tried before.

Saying that im rolling a DeahtKnight new expo , they look immensly cool, their builds are all simple and imba, and look the biz...but still, seems my priest is dead, im not arsed grinding more hours upon hours to try get holy gear etc.

• Advertisement

you must be doning something wrong, as we have a few SP's in our guild who pump out crazy dps. And their gear is nothign fantastic !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Manties, what spec are you running with on the Hunter ?

I like patches and huge changes like this myself as I've 5 x 70's to respec and enjoy again on live :)

Manties wrote: »
    you must be doning something wrong, as we have a few SP's in our guild who pump out crazy dps. And their gear is nothign fantastic !
    I pumped some crazy deeps when I was playing lols =]

Mana back xlan they called me

Manties wrote: »
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/tags/wotlk/default.aspx

list of addons that work. ive tested the usuals and they seem fine.

It's not that - I downloaded the essential updated ones - but I've no addons button on the Char Selection screen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

just about to start the ui fun.

this curse client is a pos bring back wau

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Bah, 12 hours of downloading and that patch finally finishes
    Then I was going to go onto wow website to reactivate my account but its been down all day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

spent all my talents back to the affliction tree...
    Maybe its my imagination...but I took out a mob of about 6 or 7 ogres in about 15 seconds..then again...could be my new haircut :D

affliction ftw!

Affli is crap in heroics tho - was just in Heroic SV - no damn time on mobs for dots to have much affect. Apart from healer the group wasn't well geared and we did the instance in about 45 mins.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Manties, what spec are you running with on the Hunter ?

I like patches and huge changes like this myself as I've 5 x 70's to respec and enjoy again on live :)

I went with a slightly unorthodox 7/54/0 the added crit is zomg. 36.7% in pvp gear and just under 30 in pve.

Heres a link in case you wanna try it out

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonglade&n=M%C3%A9ndez

Went pretty much full affli on my lock too with some in demon and destro. and i agree its stupidly OP. Haunt is just a joke. And that demon form... LOL 1k damage per second just from the aura. Something tells me this will be the future pvp spec for locks.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Moonglade&n=Mendez

Just checked there, and the armory hasnt updated the new tallets yet :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I dont know about anyone else, but I'm hearing all my guildies etc saying how there chars have all been stronger, but mine, is pants.

I've been reading all over the net, how shadow priests are feeling ****ed over again, which we are. We dont accept that we are a dps class, we are a raid class, an essential part to every group.

A shadow priest is so useful its ridic, my guild find me indispensible in raids. The mana we give to the team, the added healing we give through casting offensive spells.

Shadow seem very nerfed, and im totally lost as to what to put my points in to make it better, and the priest community feel the same. I've broken my backside on hours of play to get good dps gear ( which is pants for shadow priests) and now im totally lost. Looks like i need to go back to holy, or try disc, which ive never tried before.

Saying that im rolling a DeahtKnight new expo , they look immensly cool, their builds are all simple and imba, and look the biz...but still, seems my priest is dead, im not arsed grinding more hours upon hours to try get holy gear etc.
    my main is a shadowpriest, and yes we still appear to have low dps but there is some serious changes you need to watch, the fact that devouring plague is now one of your main dots every 26seconds and you only need to apply swp once with the right spec. the crits on mindflay are awesome, i crit 3 ticks in a row at 1500 each along with the other ticks in it. mind blast at 3-4k crits too

also they are changing shadowform and VE soon

Vampiric Embrace:
    now only gives back 5% of your dps in health to the party which is a nerf. but gives back 25% of your dps in health to you. (thats cool)

Shadowform:
    while in shadowform, your SWP,DP and VT gain an additional damage bonus based on their crit. so 25% crit on your gear and you get a 25% damage increase on those spells while cast in shadowform (very cool!)

also Vampiric touch now gives back twice as much mana, its been doubled :)

overall im happy with the patch. its all good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah, typical panicer ehre me, I've played some more and its ok, but what im noticing big time is

In BG, everyone is dieing faster. I'm literally getting 1/2 shotted by paladins mostly, and there seems to be some uproar about paladins being back to imba.

But I have noticed that players are dieing alot faster, its like they removed armour or soemthing. Rogues for example, usually have high resist against my spells, but i have been casting on them like theres no tomorrow.

Patch overall is ok, changes are ok, some are happy some arnt. New features are gimicks, achievements, 12gold to get your haircut and some other gimicky things. Achievements are ok should you get them, but I cant see myself ever gonig outa my way to get them.

I guess time will tell, i did find that my "spellpower" is higher then my old spelldmg was, but still seeing my dps has lowered, when everyone else says they have got an increase.

Can say im too dissapointed, new talents are cool, the mindflay thing is cool that it resets SWP.

And sure im rolling DK come enw patch so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Dinged 69 the other day with lock. Had previously went Demo mainly, then changed to affliction. Went demo again last night after the patch so hoping should cause more damage in dungeons again. Thought the deamon form might be a laugh :)

http://www.armory-light.com/eu/Terenas/Bernzilla

Rogue at 70. Dunno if spec is ok or not. Wanted to try Fist weapon and Dagger from Hyjal but seems damage doesn't look the best even with 10 points spent between CQC & Malice.

Warcrafter
    http://be.imba.hu/?zone=EU&realm=Terenas&character=Bouncinbetty
    At the moment. Didnt think there was 2 unused :s In work so cant check.

Also have these 2 swords which seem'd to give more damage in melee attack profile thingy. Just dunno weather to go back to combat swords with these like before patch or try dagger and fist weapon.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28295 with mongoose
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34609 with greater agility

Advice on either would be appreciated :D

am i missing something..

i've seen links in the last day or so where people are spending points half way down a tree??

Like the one Manties posted...the destro tree...how did ye get ruin without devastation?

i'm gagging to resub, log in and change my hairstyle :(

Einstein wrote: »
    am i missing something..

i've seen links in the last day or so where people are spending points half way down a tree??

Like the one Manties posted...the destro tree...how did ye get ruin without devastation?

Thats bugged i think. as im sure i dont have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Einstein wrote: »
    am i missing something..

Think some sites like Warcrafter aint updated the talent trees and they are bugged as a result. Some stuff go over and some have changed and dont match the current ones.

Berns wrote: »
    Think some sites like Warcrafter aint updated the talent trees and they are bugged as a result. Some stuff go over and some have changed and dont match the current ones.
    was pretty sure that was the prob alright...

i'm stupidly addicted to this game...who ever thought a barber shop could make a 30 year old giggle like a child :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Cheers Manties.

Think I'll go back to MM on the Hunter when I get home later. Just went BM to see what the DPS increase was like with the pet. BM was alright but I miss playing as MM in pvp.

Have to say though that I was really enjoying playing the Mage last night in pvp, full on Arcane spec and the damage output from the instants was great, without being too overpowered.

Played my Shaman (Elemental) for a couple of BG's and gave up. Honestly still of the belief that the Shaman as a class is dead and gone and don't see anything improving anytime soon, it's even worse in the beta and that's a couple patches ahead of the live now at this stage.

logged into my mates account earlier today.. i was so close to resubbing to **** about with all my characters again.. :[ i think i'll be able to hold out til wotlk is released tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wasnt able to hold out :(

Advertisement