Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking for decent car dealer

Options
  • 15-10-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi wonder if anyone can help ..

i am looking to buy a first time car but dont have a clue where to start ..
    thinking of micra or other such small car. am still learning , on provisional etc...

can anyone reccomend a decent car dealer to purchase from. i dont know anything about cars. live in bray and can travel anywhere round dub really ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..there's a sign outside our town which says: 'Keep your town in business, keep your business in town!'

In other words, for a newbie like yourself, I'd try and stay local. Might be handy until you're au fait with motoring, generally.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just to repeat myself from the other thread.
    It's not a dealer you should be looking for, but rather a specific car!
    Once you decide on a few cars, you can look privately and from dealers, tbh, for a low cost car like a micra etc, a dealers warranty is worth very little, so private purchase may be better.
    Just make sure you get any car you decide you want to buy checked out by a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eve21

thanks for advice. so do you think that i have to bring a mechanic to check the car even if i buy from a dealer? have decided on micra's ... if i do i may as well go private and prob get it cheaper ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

eve21 wrote: »
    thanks for advice. so do you think that i have to bring a mechanic to check the car even if i buy from a dealer? have decided on micra's ... if i do i may as well go private and prob get it cheaper ...
    Hey,
    Im in dublin.how much have you to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Good choice with the micra. Cant really go wrong with jap cars once you look after them they'll go forever!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

as a prevoius poster said, look for the car and not the dealer. Anyway, get on to carzone.ie, use the filter for the price you are willing to spend and see what cars pop up.
    Use this for a week or so and you will get a very good idea of thee value of the cars and you will have the knowledge of the car that you want to buy. After a week or so of looking at cars on the web, you willspot the one you want.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

your better buying privately imo

main dealers will shaft you, any warranty you get from an independant dealer will be worthless as they will do anything to avoid honouring it, sadly the good ones are few and far between and get drowned out by the **** ones.

Privately will save you a grand minimum, get it checked out and enjoy motoring

Hammertime wrote: »
    your better buying privately imo

main dealers will shaft you, any warranty you get from an independant dealer will be worthless as they will do anything to avoid honouring it, sadly the good ones are few and far between and get drowned out by the **** ones.

Privately will save you a grand minimum, get it checked out and enjoy motoring
    Privately also gets you no warranty !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tv3 wrote: »

Yes but the money saved from buying private vs from a dealer can be put aside for any potential repairs if needed.;) Do your homework and you can minimise the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And, warranties are often not worth the paper they're written on these days, privately is probably the way to go. The important thing is to know what these "warranties" cover, and then you can decide on whether the additional cost is worth it.

• Advertisement

And, warranties are often not worth the paper they're written on these days, privately is probably the way to go. The important thing is to know what these "warranties" cover, and then you can decide on whether the additional cost is worth it.
    Thats completely untrue.The warranty you get in a garage will cover alot of things..also its a reinsurance that you have a comeback if something goes wrong.Garages at the minute are doing great deals "bargains" so wouldnt even think about going private !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Very true.

Thats completely untrue.The warranty you get in a garage will cover alot of things..also its a reinsurance that you have a comeback if something goes wrong.Garages at the minute are doing great deals "bargains" so wouldnt even think about going private !

lol sure they are, such great deals that they can't give away a car as they are so massively overpriced compared to bringing a higher spec car in for the uk, or buying privately.

Even the regularing body SIMI is a joke, they have zero interest in making their members (cronies) adhere to any standards.

But then you would say that then wouldn't you

;)

lol sure they are, such great deals that they can't give away a car as they are so massively overpriced compared to bringing a higher spec car in for the uk, or buying privately.

Even the regularing body SIMI is a joke, they have zero interest in making their members (cronies) adhere to any standards.

But then you would say that then wouldn't you

;)
    The op is talking about spending 3k on a car not 30k,so i hardly think she would be better going to the uk now would she....:rolleyes:

Have you got any examples of what cars exactly are "over priced"???

Most cars that come from the uk are clocked or are some way dodgy...maybe you didnt know that;)

The op is talking about spending 3k on a car not 30k,so i hardly think she would be better going to the uk now would she....:rolleyes:

Have you got any examples of what cars exactly are "over priced"???

Most cars that come from the uk are clocked or are some way dodgy...maybe you didnt know that;)

lets not hijack the thread here, but if you really think that Irish dealers are giving good value on the prices of their cars then good luck to you.

There must be some other reason then why every man and his dog is importing higher specced fsh cars from the uk, paying large vrt rates and still saving many thousands on them.

lets not hijack the thread here, but if you really think that Irish dealers are giving good value on the prices of their cars then good luck to you.

There must be some other reason then why every man and his dog is importing higher specced fsh cars from the uk, paying large vrt rates and still saving many thousands on them.
    Every man...:rolleyes:...Like i said the op has 3k so hardly worth her while going to the uk now is it !:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Care to back this up, or is it just a 'fact' you heard down the pub?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Care to back this up, or is it just a 'fact' you heard down the pub?
    Any garage would tell you that..thats why i said most !Do you go out much:D

Any garage would tell you that..thats why i said most !Do you go out much:D

Mmm and the same garages probably tell you their cars were all owned by one careful little old lady from new too.

There are is just as much chance of finding a clocked car on a forecourt over here as in the UK. At least in the UK there are more proper ways to verify mileage than over here.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mmm and the same garages probably tell their cars were all owned by one careful lady owner from new too.

There are is just as much chance of finding a clocked car on a forecourt over here as in the UK.
    Yes i agree but at least if you buy in ireland you can go back and tell the garage what to do if you do notice probs etc..:pac:

• Advertisement

Yes i agree but at least if you buy in ireland you can go back and tell the garage what to do if you do notice probs etc..:pac:

Do your homework properly prior to buying whether here or over there and you will not need to. ;)

Do your homework properly prior to buying whether here or over there and you will not need to. ;)
    Well anything can go wrong after 1 day or 30 days so better to be safe and buy in ireland.Its rubbish when you hear/see people saying irish garages are expensive..Maybe they are if ya dont go out much;)

Well anything can go wrong after 1 day or 30 days so better to be safe and buy in ireland.Its rubbish when you hear/see people saying irish garages are expensive..Maybe they are if ya dont go out much;)

Sorry but that statement is false.

The same can be said about buying privately. Your buying it cheaper so there is a certain element of risk involved. Do you own or work for a garage here by any chance?

And just to let you know there are lots of cowboys sitting at desks behind fancy showrooms over here who will try and burn you just as quickly. Also most used car warranties only cover the basics such as engine and gearbox which can be inspected by a mechanic at the time of purchase. Any other issues and your generally told where to go.

I dont work for a garage but ive bought many cars over the years

Sorry but that statement is false.

The same can be said about buying privately. Your buying it cheaper so there is a certain element of risk involved. Do you own or work for a garage here by any chance?

And just to let you know there are lots of cowboys sitting at desks behind fancy showrooms over here who will try and burn you just as quickly. Also most used car warranties only cover the basics such as engine and gearbox which can be inspected by a mechanic at the time of purchase. Any other issues and your generally told where to go.
    If you buy from a decent dealer they will not tell you to get lost if something goes wrong.At the minute alot of garages would take your arm off to sell you a car the way things are and also alot of dealers are cheaper than private at the minute according to "carzone".

So have I.

My first two cars were bought private and had no problems with them, compared to the rubbish that dealers were offering in the same price range.

I'll be going over to the UK for my next motor.

So have I.

My first two cars were bought private and had no problems with them, compared to the rubbish that dealers were offering in the same price range.

I'll be going over to the UK for my next motor.
    What you going to buy??

So you don't sell cars then?

really?

So you don't sell cars then?

really?
    Taught you have finally gone... :mad:

I will report you if you keep acting the *****:Dunderstand

• Advertisement

Taught you have finally gone... :mad:

I will report you if you keep acting the *****:Dunderstand

So thats a yes, so you really are a car dealer and you are making up stuff to attempt to justify the laughable prices that the garages over here ask for.

Thanks for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement