Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration Fee

Options
  • 15-10-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

With the registration fee having been increased to €1500 from next year, should we abolish the €150 for the new student center. €1650 is an absolute fortune for those of us who don't have a grant/Daddy to pay for it.

While it seems we can't do anything about the €600 Batty is charging us, surely now is the time to hold a referendum on abolishing the €150 charge.

So for the SU people on this board, how does one go about raising this issue for referendum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thank **** I'm in 4th year and won't have to pay this crap next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

pithater1 wrote: »
    With the registration fee having been increased to €1500 from next year, should we abolish the €150 for the new student center. €1650 is an absolute fortune for those of us who don't have a grant/Daddy to pay for it.

While it seems we can't do anything about the €600 Batty is charging us, surely now is the time to hold a referendum on abolishing the €150 charge.

So for the SU people on this board, how does one go about raising this issue for referendum?

300 signatures from students I believe

Don't you think thats a bit of a waste though? I was against the building initially but don't you think its a fat waste of thousands of euros that students ahve already paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

€1650 is an absolute fortune for those of us who don't have a grant/Daddy to pay for it.

Suck it up. In the 90's some of us had to pay over IR£2,500 p.a. by working part time and full time during the summers.

Feel lucky that you don't have to pay the full over €30,000 p.a. that it actually costs to put you through college.

I'd suggest you get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Protest!

Where are the anarchists!

Studying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

gubbie wrote: »
    300 signatures from students I believe

Don't you think thats a bit of a waste though? I was against the building initially but don't you think its a fat waste of thousands of euros that students ahve already paid out.

Good point, perhaps even a reduction may be more appropriate though.
    ArseBurger wrote: »

I'd suggest you get a job.

I do have a job

Good point, perhaps even a reduction may be more appropriate though.

I'd be equally opposed to that because work would take forever and I think the current non-final year students would like to get to use it and not just throw good money away.

By reducing it you're basically bringing in a whole more couple of years that won't get to use the new sports centre and thus complain about not getting to use it

I'd be equally opposed to that because work would take forever and I think the current non-final year students would like to get to use it and not just throw good money away.

By reducing it you're basically bringing in a whole more couple of years that won't get to use the new sports centre and thus complain about not getting to use it

Fair point. I was of the understanding that we're only going to get a measly 6 month membership for our €450/600 involuntary contribution, so aren't we essentially throwing good money away as it is?

Fair point. I was of the understanding that we're only going to get a measly 6 month membership for our €450/600 involuntary contribution, so aren't we essentially throwing good money away as it is?

Oh but that's only a few of us, should the building be completed on time. Take for example a second year in a 4 year degree. They'd have paid €300 by now and €600 over the span of their degree. They've 2 and a half years left. If its completed in 2010 then they'll get a whole year enjoyment out of it and now UCD have great facilities. Now if the fee is cut in half, then thats €450 they'll end up paying and now the sports centre will get delayed because its only got half the amount of money going towards it. If this is anything over a year then that student (and thousands more) will have no use of the facilities at all

Myself and my brother will have paid 3 years on it (About €500) and will never get to use it. Initially I was against paying it, but for the people who are still in UCD, they shouldn't begrudge past students' decision. That €500 isn't a lot of money and at the end of the day, I respect the majoritys decision and I'm disgusted at new students who scream out for its removal

Oh but that's only a few of us, should the building be completed on time. Take for example a second year in a 4 year degree. They'd have paid €300 by now and €600 over the span of their degree. They've 2 and a half years left. If its completed in 2010 then they'll get a whole year enjoyment out of it and now UCD have great facilities. Now if the fee is cut in half, then thats €450 they'll end up paying and now the sports centre will get delayed because its only got half the amount of money going towards it. If this is anything over a year then that student (and thousands more) will have no use of the facilities at all

Myself and my brother will have paid 3 years on it (About €500) and will never get to use it. Initially I was against paying it, but for the people who are still in UCD, they shouldn't begrudge past students' decision. That €500 isn't a lot of money and at the end of the day, I respect the majoritys decision and I'm disgusted at new students who scream out for its removal

that was all well and good when the registration fee was less than €1000 but seeing as we've been hit with a 600 increase that makes the 150 for something I'll never get to use that was voted on by people who it wouldn't effect a bit galling.

• Advertisement

that was all well and good when the registration fee was less than €1000 but seeing as we've been hit with a 600 increase that makes the 150 for something I'll never get to use that was voted on by people who it wouldn't effect a bit galling.

It was not voted for people who it wouldn't effect. It was mostly voted for people who would have to pay this fee and never use it. I voted for it. I voted no. I will never use it. My brother voted on it. He voted yes. He also will never get to use it. That's €500 down the swanny but I don't begrudge it because it will benefit others and benefit UCD which I think has given so much to me in the past years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Suck it up. In the 90's some of us had to pay over IR£2,500 p.a. by working part time and full time during the summers.

I do. I worked full time all summer when a lot of my friends and girlfriend went away for the summer.
    I work part time in an off licence during the year (minimum of 10 hours a week, usually closer to 15-20 on marginally more than minimum wage) I also used to work in the off licence at nights during the summer as my day job finished at four.
    And I also work in promotions during the year whenever I can.
    I'm still going to struggle to afford this though. Yes I easily make that much money through all these different jobs, but hard to splash out 1650euro and have any sort of social life and try to run a car (which before anyone says it an unnecessary luxury, its not, otherwise it would be two buses to college and up at half 6 most mornings, then wouldnt get back in time for work at night so wouldnt have any real income)

Frisbee wrote: »
    I do. I worked full time all summer when a lot of my friends and girlfriend went away for the summer.
    I work part time in an off licence during the year (minimum of 10 hours a week, usually closer to 15-20 on marginally more than minimum wage) I also used to work in the off licence at nights during the summer as my day job finished at four.
    And I also work in promotions during the year whenever I can.
    I'm still going to struggle to afford this though. Yes I easily make that much money through all these different jobs, but hard to splash out 1650euro and have any sort of social life and try to run a car (which before anyone says it an unnecessary luxury, its not, otherwise it would be two buses to college and up at half 6 most mornings, then wouldnt get back in time for work at night so wouldnt have any real income)

Welcome to the real world mate.

Some of us had college 9-6 in the 90's and had to use public transport. Back in the day where there were no bus lanes. Average daily commute for me was about four hours. I knew others had longer commutes.

If you want a social life, drop out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Protest!

Where are the anarchists!

Here's a few options:

Thursday 16th of October – There will be an anti-fees demo taking place in Dun Laoighre organised by both IADT and UCD Students' Unions. Free buses will be leaving the Student Centre in UCD at 12:30. All welcome.

Friday 17th of October – Protest preparation session. Banner making, Placard making, Chant writing etc. Bring your own materials if possible. Starting at 1pm in the Astra Hall (Student Centre)

Monday 20th of October – Brian Lenihan Protest/Blockade. Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan will be chairing a meeting in the Quinn School of Business at 6:30 pm. It is important that we let him know that we will not accept cutbacks in our education. Meet outside the Quinn school at 5:50pm and let him know what you think. If he blocks our access to university, we'll block his!

Wednesday 22nd of October – THE BIG DUBLIN DEMO. This will be the highlight of the week when all colleges from across Dublin unite. It is starting at the Spire at 1:30 but buses will be leaving the Student Centre between 12:00 – 12:30.

If you want a social life, drop out of college.

I'm sorry but this is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous remarks I have ever heard.
    No-one should have a social life during college? Get real mate.
    Did you not go out at all during college? I really hope not.

And as for 'welcome to the real world'?
    How are you supposed to proceed with college if you spend most of your free time working instead of doing college work??

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous remarks I have ever heard.
    No-one should have a social life during college? Get real mate.
    Did you not go out at all during college? I really hope not.

Of course I did. I had a great time. I also managed to hold down a job four nights a week and use public transport and get a good degree.

Stop whinging and put your back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Of course I did. I had a great time. I also managed to hold down a job four nights a week and use public transport and get a good degree.

are you for real?

most students have jobs to help pay for college, it will still be a big struggle to get 1650 together for the registration fee on top of things like rent etc.
    if you went to college in the 90s, why are you trolling here when people are trying to discuss things that matter to them directly?

I'm not whinging about anything. I'm disagreeing with the idea of free fees and arguing my points against it the same way you are arguing (or should i say whinging?) about why you think you had it hard in the 90's when the Celtic Tiger was prospering as opposed to now, when we've entered a recession.

I'm quite clearly putting my back into it as I'm working two jobs, that doesn't mean I can easily afford the yearly hikes in fees to attend UCD.

I don't think anybody here is whinging apart from your good self. I also work 4 nights a week and use public transport and am in the process of getting a good degree.

Why are you trolling this board if you went to college in the 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

are you for real?

most students have jobs to help pay for college, it will still be a big struggle to get 1650 together for the registration fee on top of things like rent etc.

To be fair, most students go on expensive holidays over the summer, such as the J1, inter railing, Australia, Thailand etc.

Im against the rediculous increases in the registration fees, Im appalled that countries with fees are often have fees smaller than the UCD registration fee. But I think Frisbee has a very legitimate point, that its perfectly within peoples means provided they work a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 _raven_

Getting back to the topic, you guys don't really realize how lucky you are.
    I hail from Croatia, a hot, overly sunny pithole IMO. I wanted to go to UCD to study Medicine, being born in Ireland and having an Irish passport.

Guess what's the price of one year. 29000 Euros. Nope, no typo. And thats only tuition.

If I had proof that I lived for three out of the last five years in an EU country (which I haven't), I could get by with them free fees they're offering to proper irish citizens. The guy at the information counter in UCD was feeling sorry just by pronouncing those numbers.

So that's one dream shattered. Not completely, though. If you're interested, I'm going to go to study Medicine in Italy for three years, then come back here as a transfer student on free fees. Of course, I do realize that it's only free in theory, but it's cheaper than "real" 29000 Euros.

On a completely unrelated topic, does this forum really not have custom avatars or am I just stupid?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I don't think anybody here is whinging apart from your good self. I also work 4 nights a week and use public transport and am in the process of getting a good degree.

Why are you trolling this board if you went to college in the 90's?
    Because he's a cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Because he's a cnut
    Personal abuse is not permitted on this forum, please read the charter before running your mouth off in future.

Love,
    Raphael

Advertisement