Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to go back

Options
  • 15-10-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all,
    Read the boards but would still like to hear some fresh views.I am 40yrs old and thinking of going back to collage next sept,well seeing if I could get a place.I left school at 15 after my inter cert spent my life at sea not qualified.I would like to do a degree in computing but could only try one collage as I can,t upsticks and move.I have a keen interest in computers(build my own this years)but looking at last years courses in the collage I would be going to there was only 40 places on such courses.Am I aiming too high?.What chance do I stand ?.How many places if any would be set aside for mature students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

seract wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Read the boards but would still like to hear some fresh views.I am 40yrs old and thinking of going back to collage next sept,well seeing if I could get a place.I left school at 15 after my inter cert spent my life at sea not qualified.

That should not be an issue. Life Experience counts for a helluva lot these days, seriously.
    I would like to do a degree in computing but could only try one collage as I can,t upsticks and move.

Have a look at Oscail (www.oscail.ie). It's based in Dublin City University, but has affiliations with various other colleges around the country. There should be one near you. I did my degree with them. They also offer a diploma, which you get before your degree. So if you don't want to go the full way, at least you come out with something. They run a legitimate distance education course which would allow you to study in your own time, perhaps while working.

Having said that, since you have been out of the education system for a while, it may suit you better to enroll in a course where you have to attend classes and have a face you can ask questions to.

Either way, don't let your circumstances put you off.
    I have a keen interest in computers(build my own this years)but looking at last years courses in the collage I would be going to there was only 40 places on such courses.Am I aiming too high?.What chance do I stand ?.How many places if any would be set aside for mature students?

You stand a very high chance and it certainly sounds like you would be well able for it. Just look into the maths component of any course you consider. A lot of computer courses have a strong maths element which you might need refreshing on.

Colleges are almost begging students to attend these days, so I would think you should have no trouble getting a place on a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 seract

Cheers for that Tom Dunne gives me some hope to try anyway.As for the maths I know it was a long time ago and what I did at inter cert was basic but it was my best subject got an A (Hc).Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ring up the college where the course is run and ask to speak to someone in admissions or a tutor from the course and see what qualifications/experience they expect a mature applicant to have. Take it from there. They'll also tell you how many places are put aside for mature applicants etc.

Advertisement