Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback requested "...bitch..."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

People are allowed to have opinions even if they are idiotic or just plain wrong.

They are entitled and that's why I voted not offended. I know what to expect and therefore don't visit AH. It would be perfect if (at the risk of sounding like a nerd) we could adapt Joshua Cohen's theory on content regulation, that everyone is entitled to a opinion if they can reasonably state their case. But that's not going to work on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes it is offensive and derogatory and as I pointed out in the Ladies Lounge it is indicative that sexism/misogyny is more tolerated than racism. If it said swollow you black/asian/arab bitch then OP would have been banned. If OP were interested in the women's health aspect of this he would have posted it in bio or in the ladies lounge.

However, saying this, I don't have a serious problem with "offensive" as long as there is a level playing field and as long as there is some kind of alert system or warning so that parents who have children or teens who look at these boards will be made aware and act accordingly to what they want their kids exposed to.

But.... there isnt a level playing field and it seems that there are protected species on boards while others are perfectly ok to degrade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nerin wrote: »
    It seems(just seems,and i'm only saying to me) that since i've joined,AH or at least the users has/have been getting more extreme.

I would agree to a point. I post there less and less nowadays, not solely because it's extreme, more because of the sheer volume of useless posts there.
    I think AH has become a victim of its own popularity and maybe it's time to ship more of the useless crap over to TCN as was the original idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Personally, I'm not offended by the thread title but I do think it's in bad taste. Thaed and dr bollocko were pretty spot on with their comments; it's the context.

A small edit to "Swallow, it's good for your health" would remove much of the bite without ruining anyone's fun (and I use the word loosely).

As for where do you draw the line; you don't. You draw as many lines as you like and keep the flexible moderation you've had in AH running.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Karoma wrote: »
    There's a thread title in After Hours: "Swallow bitch, its for your health!"
    We have received one or two reported posts (literally) complaining about the "misogynistic" thread title.

I can understand that some will take offense at the title (and maybe the content) of the thread; that does not necessarily mean it's offensive.
    To those of you offended, I ask: why didn't you report the thread?

Where do we draw the line re: language used?

No action has been taken up to this point as I don't see any malice in the OP's intentions, there has been a disproportionate number of reports to the number of views of the thread, and because I don't want a Politically Correct AH or to be accused of it, etc.
    The thread has been moved to Feedback where the moderation is out of AH moderators hands.
    There is an anonymous poll added - if you're going to post, please back your post/vote up with something worthwhile.
    o_0

Well I didn't think it would be an issue but I'll abide by any decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Earthhorse wrote: »
    A small edit to "Swallow, it's good for your health" would remove much of the bite without ruining anyone's fun (and I use the word loosely).

As for where do you draw the line; you don't. You draw as many lines as you like and keep the flexible moderation you've had in AH running.

I am inclined to agree, however there are (as you can see) quite a few upset people complaining that sexism is tolerated more than racism. Well, yeah, because women are better represented on boards.ie and quite vocal and do give as good as they get. There is a lot of sexism direct at men (Remove the blinkers if you think otherwise), and the vast majority of it is in good humour and received as such; racism is rarely received the same way. Again, context plays a big part in it.
    In this case, I do think such a title change is in order. However, I would have thought the OP's one line in the post would also cause offense. Seemingly not. Thread title changed.

I'm just confused by some views: sexism is okay...as long as it's the right kind (?!)... obscenity is okay...to an extent...
    Now, wonder why I threw this out to the floor for more views?
    I had completely forgotten that thread in tTL. *wanders off for more reading*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Kiera wrote: »
    Am i the only girl who see the funny side of it? I didn't or wouldn't ever take offense of something like that in AH. This is getting blown way out of proportion by the "burn you bra brigade"

I tend to agree with you. I don't find it in any way offensive. In that context I find it kind of funny.

But people are entitled to their opinions whether I agree or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Am i the only girl who see the funny side of it? I didn't or wouldn't ever take offense of something like that in AH. This is getting blown way out of proportion by the "burn you bra brigade".

having had time to read over this in full I was on my way to change the title but Karoma sniped it. the after-article comment has been deleted.

I was hoping the humor of the article would hold out, but clearly overshadowed by PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

janeybabe wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you. I don't find it in any way offensive. In that context I find it kind of funny.

How the hell did you do that????

Replied to Kiera 2 minutes before she posted..:confused::confused::confused:

You broke time.

• Advertisement

I am inclined to agree, however there are (as you can see) quite a few upset people complaining that sexism is tolerated more than racism. Well, yeah, because women are better represented on boards.ie and quite vocal and do give as good as they get.

Anything like that is hard to quantify I think. Haven't been on a lot lately but hadn't noticed a trend either way.
    In this case, I do think such a title change is in order. However, I would have thought the OP's one line in the post would also cause offense. Seemingly not. Thread title changed.

Thread content is at least optional to view but thread titles aren't if you want to browse the forum.

janeybabe wrote: »

Am i the only girl who see the funny side of it? I didn't or wouldn't ever take offense of something like that in AH. This is getting blown way out of proportion by the "burn you bra brigade".

We need more time warped posts like these to break the tension at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SteveC wrote: »

You broke time.

Lol I have the power!

Or else Kiera's post was deleted by the time I'd finished typing my reply and reposted later! Shhhh!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You broke time.

What in the? How in the?
    Were you driving in a delorean at 88mph at the time of writing that post?
    Cos the whole 88mph trick didn't work out too well for jorg haider.

You broke time.

We need more time warped posts like these to break the tension at a time like this.

Haha, did you like that?

Were you driving in a delorean at 88mph at the time of writing that post?

How do you think she burns her bras?
    Haha, did you like that?

Do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tone and context. Moderators should surely be able to make those judgements better than what has been demonstrated here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This is getting blown way out of proportion by the "burn you bra brigade".

I would NEVER burn any of my bras.

Thank you karoma for making the change and dropping the word bitch from the title;
    it is all I asked for when I first reported the post 24 hours ago.

How do you think she burns her bras?

Do it again!

Cant the delorean is out of petrol. Cant afford to fill it now with this new bloody budget!

Overheal wrote: »
    having had time to read over this in full I was on my way to change the title but Karoma sniped it. the after-article comment has been deleted.

I was hoping the humor of the article would hold out, but clearly overshadowed by PC.

TRY CAPS AS WELL, THEY MIGHT HEAR YOU BETTER! :D

Academic in any case, only a forum mod can edit the title afaik.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would NEVER burn any of my bras.

Thank you karoma for making the change and dropping the work bitch from the title;
    it is all I asked for when I first reported the post.

So now it's about prostitution???

I'm not keeping up here Thaed..:confused:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

TRY CAPS AS WELL, THEY MIGHT HEAR YOU BETTER! :D

Academic in any case, only a forum mod can edit the title afaik.
    Advanced Editing Window lets you change the title. It just doesnt let you add polls after the original post (grr)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Good to see peace and tranquility being restored to AH.

...wait

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    Advanced Editing Window lets you change the title. It just doesnt let you add polls after the original post (grr)

I thought it has a 24hr limit though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

Im pretty sure its 48.

Im pretty sure its 48.

For normal posts yes, for some reason I thought OP's had a shorter limit.

Out of curiosity, can you still edit the one we're talking about?

/don't mean to be going off topic but I think the original issue is resolved.

Ironically, the title of this thread is now appearing on the front page so the word b*tch is still there - hmmm

so - who's for tea?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So now it's about prostitution???

I'm not keeping up here Thaed..:confused:

Nope that was a typo combination of a few glasses of red wine and my dyslexia.
    I edited the post and fixed it.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Nope that was a typo combination of a few glasses of red wine and my dyslexia.
    I edited the post and fixed it.

Sorry, poor attempt at humour on my part. :D

Advertisement