Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giganews problems

Options
  • 15-10-2008 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

The last few evenings I've noticed giganews connections going really slowly - I'm talking 30-40kb/s. I contacted their support desk and there's no issues on their end. If I run speedtest.net, I'm still pretty much getting my full pipe of 7Mb (last week's test in sig below). This evening, it was grand at 5.30 but when I got in at 7.30 everything had timed out.
    I'm on Eircom 7Mb out of the Celbridge exchange.

Anyone in the same boat??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have the very same problem with Giganews. I reinstalled the PC I use for it last weekend and put sp3 on it. I though it may have been something to do with that. My speed tests are normal. It's interesting that someone else has similar problems.

I'm on 7mb with UTV on the swords exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Captain Bouncy

Hi funny I am having the same issue, what Usenet application are you using, I use Newsrover, it only seems to happen if I set the system to download a lot of messages. The throughput seems to spike and then nothing happens and the system times out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

How many connections to the server are you using? Try increase that in your usenet server settings in the software to your max and see if it makes a difference. Thats if you dont have it set to the max already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Captain Bouncy

Hi, Thanks I did that, found another solution too, I changed t NewsBin Pro, and added SSL to my Giganews account a works a dream. Looking back on it I can only really rememeber these issues occuring after I upgraded to NewsRover v14.2.

Shame really as I really like the NewsRover interface.

Rgds

Capt B

UPC could be throttling, Ive been using SSL for over a year so havent noticed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement