Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Battery that goes ON & ON & ON

Options
  • 15-10-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Got a nice little kitchen radio of sentimental value which runs only on batteries. Now it takes 6 of those smallish finger size disposable batteries at a time and as the radio plays a lot, the batteries only last jigtime which is damned annoying.
    Is there anything dangerous about me connecting the 6 battery connectors to a single largish disposable battery. The insert space is ample big to hold one or two larger batteries so why can't I do it ? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you are confident, then there is no issue.
    Ensure that the voltage is matched.

I do encourage you to use rechargable batteries instead. They will give you a better life-time as some of these can go to 2.5A, while standard AA batteries are typically half of this or less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Most batteries are 1.5V and in a radio they're normally stacked in series.
    This means the radio requires 9VDC to operate (6x1.5V).

Assuming they are 'AA' or 'AAA' size, then to operate form any larger one you'd still need 6 of them in series to get the required voltage. You could try one of the small rectangular 9v batteries but it would probably not last as long.

If I were you I'd either go the re-chargeable route or buy a small 9VDC power supply and connect it in to the battery contacts - the radio may even have a power jack for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Thanks Guys. I'll try my luck with this advice and hope it's OK.smile.gif

Advertisement