Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD 5 or GOW 2

• 15-10-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

which do you want more.

Gow 2 for me personally.

which one 65 votes

Gears of war 2
    0% 0 votes
    Call of duty 5
    100% 65 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

gears 2 here as well.

haven't paid much attention to cod5 tbh....see what the reviews are like and maybe get it for the pc. [its multi-platform ya?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

Ain't no way I am getting GOW2. Played the first and hated it, I,ve never understood why everyone likes it. I'll probably get Fable II and then after a while finally get COD5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Far Cry 2 for me...:D I watched a few vids of COD5 today and am not impressed at all. It looks absolutely terrible. Ah there's always COD6 :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Gears 2 man, COD5 is being developed by treyarch, which means it'll be ok at best, but prob not that good :D

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

DarkJager wrote: »
    Far Cry 2 for me...:D I watched a few vids of COD5 today and am not impressed at all. It looks absolutely terrible. Ah there's always COD6 :)

wasn't mad about the first far cry. just bored me a bit but i will admit the second looks very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,975 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

GOW2 for me enjoyed the first one, just need to track down the cheapest place to buy it now :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Looking forward to Far Cry 2. COD 5 doesn't interest me in the slightest. I will probably get Gears at some stage. Didn't even get around to finishing the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Looking at the beta vids on youtube I very surprised at how little they've done with CoD5. It's CoD4 with WWII textures/weopons (Although attack dogs are cool).

Funny thing is that I enjoyed the multiplayer in CoD3 alot. So I may have to get it just for that alone.

As for Gears it the oppisite I couldn't get into the multi - too slow by far for my taste. The sp was plenty of fun, but I only played through twice before losing interest. So I'll pick this up when it's piled high in the bargin bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Def lookin forward to gears more but i think i'll get both anyway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Gears without a doubt! Cant wait for it! I'll get COD5 eventually though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'll be getting both for sure.

I'm not mega excited about either though. Looking forward to Saints Row 2 And Fallout 3 more at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im more interested in playing cod5, im playing the beta and its good. Nothing fantastic but its good, I agree its alot like cod4 with different skins/perks etc.

I played gears one found it average good enough to make me finish it.. In co-op I couldn't play it on my own, I tried once and fell asleep :p Im hoping though 2 will get me into more! Im looking forward to the 4 player co-op though.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking like Gears at the moment. Have only played the CoD Beta for an hour or so but a little wary about whether or not it will have the staying power of 4, but will decide that after a bit more play time. But given the sheer volume of releases, GoW will likely be picked due to a great first outing and promising Horde mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Gears is a definite yes. Co-op on the first was played to death, so its a no-brainer. Going on the beta, CoD 5 is more like a 70e mod for CoD 4 so I'll see what the reviews are like for the single player mode before I buy. Jack Bauer's voice can only go so far.

If only usermade mods were on the 360! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

after playing gears 2 last night, im slightly underwhelmed. its pretty much the exact same game but with a flamethrower

cod5 im not really hugely excited about either, bearing in mind its a treyarch game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Il be getting PES & DeadSpace before both of them, but Hoarde mode has nearly convinced me to get GOW2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

First time I played Gears at a demo station I was blown away by the graphics. When I sat down to play it with a mate I got bored really quickly. I'll skip the 2nd as it'll most likely be more of the same.

Saying that I still play COD4 and if COD5 is more of the same but different then I'm all in. Defo still waiting on reviews to see if it gets bumped ahead of other games on the shopping list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I'm going to say COD5. I know who its being developed by, but as I haven't been fortunate enough to lay my hands on a beta key, reading reviews of it, the multiplayer remains largely similar to COD4, which in my opinion was the best MP i've ever played online. Dogs instead of helicopters seem like a nice addition, and it should stop some camping.

I don't think they really need to change much of the multiplayer mode really, it requires more of an update than an overhaul.

I liked the first Gears without absolutely loving it. I didn't like the camera not being directly behind you when you are running, It makes it more difficult than it needs to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Played GOW2 last night and its practically the same ****ing game!

Bear in mind I only got to play MP on 3 maps I didnt think much of it at all, not a fan of treyarch either so I dunno if id pick up either of these games to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

Definitely GOW2. Been following it for months (kinda hard not to if you visit IGN). Can't bloody wait for it, should be pretty unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Fieldog wrote: »
    Played GOW2 last night and its practically the same ****ing game!

Bear in mind I only got to play MP on 3 maps I didnt think much of it at all, not a fan of treyarch either so I dunno if id pick up either of these games to be honest!

aye echoes exactly what i said

its the EXACT same game with minor addons

in software terms, its probably gears of war 1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i will be getting both. but the reason i would go with gears over cod is that i got bored of cod4 to the extent of considering trading it and have had no desire to play it for months now. so if 5 is going to be more of the same just with a different setting i won't be in a hurry to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Gears of War 2 definitely - I mostly play single player anyway so the COD games don't appeal to me as much, plus COD5 is again WWII set so not really worth it IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

COD5, didn't like the first Gears of War much. Enjoyed the campaign but much prefered COD4 for online play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I loved Gears of War but it was unfinished. Hopefully this will be much more rounded. I've played COD4 to death and don't really fancy trying for another prestige on what is basically a mod. If the single player is good I'll get it in a few months on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

Def COD5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Id pick COD 5, im not a big fan of the campaign mode but the online play is brilliant. its almost COD4 with a ww2 skin on it so it makes no difference who made it. the gameplay is the same. I prefer COD4 simply because its modern. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

cod5 all the way if you like shooting aliens and all that crap well then gears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Gears for the single player, COD5 for the multiplayer

Advertisement