Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If your family cat goes missing you can blame your wheely bin.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Guys, as members of the Pet forums, you may not yet have been exposed to run_to_da_hills_cause_the_aliens_are_after_me.

See this ----> .

That dot is about the amount of care you should put into his postings, I personally believe he is a wind-up artist who does it exceptionally well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

lightening wrote: »
    Pix of fox

Jeez, your electronic fox sure gets around:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holyshow

My area has no wheelie bins but tons of cats. Point proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I'm not saying it's not a real fox (but then again I did have to have a second look at barbie dog) strawberry_dog_steps_stairs4 1.jpg and I'm still waiting on the answer B.P.E. ?

If he is not your pet do you recon he is getting hold of the birds on the beach or milling into some seaweed, won't mind getting some of what ever he's eating and giving it to my animals his coat is in great conditon.

I've never none foxes even in captividy pose for the camara ?

It's nice to see one in such good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm confused. Is the original poster claiming that foxes are hunting, killing and eating domestic cats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yes. He maintains that since the introduction of the wheelie bin, we have cut off a steady food source for the urban fox and that they can and have resorted to hunting the domestic cat instead.

Which is interesting, because the urban bin-bag used to be a steady source of food for the feral cat, and I haven't heard anyone rejoice over a sudden drop in their numbers, through either a lack of food or through being eaten by the urban fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,500 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we had 3 cats in the vicinity of clarecastle, and we frequently saw foxes. maybe it was easier for them to forage out in the rural areas, but our cats never had an issue - outdoors and all. I can see the problem when domestic indoor cats that dont know any better get eaten i suppose.

No offense Hills but that needs to be backed up with research. Surely an urban fox, especially in Ennis, which is surrounded by rural environment, would have no qualms about either expanding his territory or moving on to forage elsewhere. Its like saying we should keep our garbage out for grizzly bears so they wont eat our dogs, when they should be going after deer altogether.

in the end though i have always found that raising your cat to function outdoors and maintain its own territory is very healthy for the cat to do. pure indoor cats tend to become fat and lazy, and god help them if they step outside - they are a free meal to fox or take-away restaurant alike. My moms cat Tiger is the healthiest tabby I have ever seen in my life - sleeps in the garage during the heat of the day and does god knows what the rest of the time, but he's pushing 8 years old with no signs of aging, and florida wildlife (snakes coons' and gators) to contend with. An adorable little God among felines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I'm not saying it's not a real fox (but then again I did have to have a second look at barbie dog) strawberry_dog_steps_stairs4 1.jpg and I'm still waiting on the answer B.P.E. ?

I don't know, but I still think it's cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I've never none foxes even in captividy pose for the camara ?

It's nice to see one in such good condition.

Right, I see what you mean. I guess we have a special relationship with our wildlife here in Dublin! Its like an African game safari, the animal is just used to people. There are herons, egrets, brent geese, pied wagtails and a million other species there that you can get very very close to before they take flight. There is a colony of shockingly friendly and playful seals there too, I was out longboarding there last winter and there was a young seal actually surfing the same wave as me, looking up at me.

In Howth some of the older seals (and one blind one) are permanent fixtures in the trawler harbour, people get unwanted fish from the mongers there and feel them. Its like feeding time at the zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Overheal wrote: »
    we had 3 cats in the vicinity of clarecastle, and we frequently saw foxes.
    Clarecastle is rat infested so I couldn't see a problem for cats and foxes having a plentiful food supply. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Why should we discriminate against foxes? :confused:

Translation: "ZOMG! Racism!" (or foxism if you prefer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Jumpy wrote: »
    Guys, as members of the Pet forums, you may not yet have been exposed to run_to_da_hills_cause_the_aliens_are_after_me.

See this ----> .

That dot is about the amount of care you should put into his postings, I personally believe he is a wind-up artist who does it exceptionally well.

So so true. He's obsessed, chooses to believe tabloid papers before the so called wildlife experts/ professionals he refers to.
    He's been preaching this wheelie bin thing for quite a while now over on the nature and birdwatching forum. Will somebody please ban this nutter for baiting.

Here are his previous posts on the same topic. The first thread was eventually closed due to his bullsh1t

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311384&page=6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055330543

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055397863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

So so true. He's obsessed, chooses to believe tabloid papers before the so called wildlife experts/ professionals he refers to.
    He's been preaching this wheelie bin thing for quite a while now over on the nature and birdwatching forum. Will somebody please ban this nutter for baiting.

I saw'd it on teh Interwebz on YouTube so it must be TWUE lolz!!!!!!!!

Next week: Leave your wheelie bins open, or else you will find your cat's head on your front lawn and the local foxes will all come down with anthrax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I can see why they are so healthily now lighting.

Run-to-the-hills if you want to encourage people to feed the foxes you need to ask them to put out the scraps they put in the compost bins as alot more people put them in there then the wheelie bins, I've got my hands full from one end of the year to the other with rescue animals and money is always tight, but I do buy cheap bags of cat food which is better for them than dog food and leave it out for them at night in the local park next to me in a place people can't see them to hurt them, I feed a lot of feral cats so I don't want them in my garden if I can help it, but don't want them to go hungry either.

Some times you have to take a softer approach and educate them in small doses shuffling it down their throats is not a good thing as they will run to the hills to get away from it all. sorry :D no pon intented.

Advertisement