Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Trawlers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

ValerieR wrote: »
    Does anyone remember that huge Italian military ship that docked in Galway in the summer of 1996 (+/- 1 year)?
    Would anyone have pics of it?
    It was so big that it scraped off the docks' wall coming in and the pilot boat had a tough time pushing it against the quay !

Hi Valerie,

That was the Italian Frigate Zeffiro, she never scraped off the docks wall as she was long and slim, i was there at the dock gate when she came in on that sunny morning.

Here she is and its not my picture:
    cbwirelessp4-07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Steyr wrote: »
    she never scraped off the docks wall

Ah, sorry - I thought she did touch the angle where the tankers normally dock. Must be the angle I was looking from ! :-)
    405ft long - that was impressive though!
    Thanks for the info.
    Valerie

PS - yes, the weather was fab that day. It must have been when we still had summers !!! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

ValerieR wrote: »
    Ah, sorry - I thought she did touch the angle where the tankers normally dock. Must be the angle I was looking from ! :-)
    405ft long - that was impressive though!

No problem , also you may remember they used a rope gun to fire the lines to the shore from the bow, never ever seen that done before.

Does anyone know anything about the Château Thierry other than it also being a village in north-east France?

It looks like a very small ferry / WW2 beach landing craft.
    It was in the docks on Christmas eve, not sure if it is still there.

Advertisement