Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone driving a Honda Civic Hybrid ?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We're thinking of trading in our Passat for a more economical car. Have been reading varying reviews of the Honda Civic Hybrid. It seems that the mpg figures vary hugely in reality.
    As we don't know anyone driving the Civic, we'd really like to hear from anyone who does . . . . how do you find it? Are the petrol bills significantly lower? Are you happy with the choice you made ?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think JHMEG has one, I'm sure he'll be along with details in good time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Bump
    Anyone? Perhaps if you don't own one, then maybe you know someone who does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I have the 1.8 iVTEC petrol version of same. Very well equipped (all electric windows, CC, 6 CD changer built into dash, fully adjustable steering wheel, electric sunroof, 6 speed gearbox etc, climate control) and roomy inside (not much difference to the outgoing Accord). Mechanically sound as you would expect from a Honda. 42 mpg on 80 mile round trip which is pretty good so I assume the hybrid will be above 50mpg. From what I hear the Prius gives better mpg (horrid looking though!).

EPS is not one of my favourite things about it though - lack of feedback IMO. The overall build quality does not feel up to traditional Honda standards I feel. A few rattles from the dash but the dash is ergonomically excellent although it may take a little getting used to as its quite deep compared to many other cars due to the windscreen rake. Ride quality bad and a little too much road noise.

Blind spot between front door and windscreen can be a pain in the ass but most of the new cars seem to have the same problem.

Overall, I'm happy with it but I think I'll go back to the Accord when changing next. It feels "sturdier" and better put together but I'm not sure why I feel that way.

I know you are looking at the hybrid and mine is a petrol but hopefully some of what I've said will be of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Drove one last year with the intention of buying one, found it to be a little under powered to be honest, but that could be just that I am used to something with a little more power. However other than that it was nice to drive, nothing special, and I like the shape of the car. However I would give a little more thought to a diesel before buying. I think that the MPG should be the same if not a little better with a lot more power. I remember a test been done between the Prius and a diesel, and it was found in the city the Prius was better but on longer drives the diesel was found to go further. Hope this helps, best of luck to what ever you decide to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi,
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. It's a big decision to make. The 100 Euro car tax and cheaper running costs for the Civic Hybrid are tempting. On the other hand, they sure aint cheap to buy.
    Decisions, decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

We have 2 Civic IMA's. PM me if you want to know more.

Advertisement