Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using USB Network Adapter: do i still need to install Wireless Router?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I have a network adapter. Do I still need to install the wireless router onto the computer? Or do I only need to install the network adapter?

If I need to install the router, is there any way to do this with only one ethernet cable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

the idea of the wireless adapter is that you don't need to connect a Wireless router directly to the laptop. Once you have broadband if is not wireless you will need to get a wireless router. If it's for cable internet (NTL/UPC) make sure you get a cable router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

All you need to install is the driver for the adaptor, you don't even need the client software that comes with it as XP or Vista will have their own client software that works just fine. The router is a separate device and is not installed anywhere.

To configure the router use the Ethernet cable though as it is easier to configure without having to figure out if the reason you can't connect is due to the wifi not connecting or some other reason.

MC

Advertisement