Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Skills

Options
  • 15-10-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else get those two guys to their school to tell you about different study techniques? How did yous find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

We got that. It was alright... I only found a small bit helpful. The study method is a bit broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Got something like that at the start of the year. Would have been helpful if I hadn't a clue how to study, I suppose... Wasn't worth the moneyz IMO, but maybe others enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

thought it was very good and the woman doing it was very hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Yeah I got that in my school, it was very good and I thought it was worth the money....however the only thing is after a few days I completely forgot what was said and didn't change anything about my study.

So if you're going to do it, go in with the intent of remembering main points and intend on using them to change how you study.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Did anyone else get those two guys to their school to tell you about different study techniques? How did yous find it?

Two english guys?

Found them to be genuinely unhelpful, then again im not really receptive when people use rugby analogies :pac:

Same goes for when people are condescending/throw facts around, we had a drug talk in 4th year which just descended into an arguement with the guys who where giving the talk. Showing us brain scans, and other realistically incomprehensible things. What im trying to say is that my school is absolutely rubbish at finding speakers to talk to us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my school is getting them in, and they're blackmailing students to go. If at least 60 of us don't go there'll be no debs :eek:

I'm not going though, I've had experience with this kind of thing before and it doesn't help me. Also I don't want to miss double chemistry and maths for some silly talk!

My year head is really passionate about it for some reason. She started off telling us how amazing it was and how a tenner is really cheap ("Think of how much more you'd spend on a manicure!" She said.) but when she realised it wasn't working she took away the debs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We had that last year...wasn't very helpful but some tips were pretty useful, like making flashcards to remember facts...but then I spent hours at night making colourful cars and not studying.

I figured just sitting down and reading stuff is the only way for me to study, not writing out notes, not making flashcards, just good ol' fashioned reading and exam papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

crazy going to it tomorrow, yeah getting up early is gonna suck on a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Study skills? Sounds ridiculous.

All you really have to do is bash your head in with a book over and over again. If you're still alive after an hour you might find that you know the book inside and out.

The science is a bit complicated so I'm not going to explain why that's the case but just trust me on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

loved the guys cockney accent
    was well good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

They were s**t especially when you were in a class full of messers and the Teacher couldnt control them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Fad wrote: »
    Two english guys?

Nah. Seems to be a fair few of them.

I thought it was pretty helpful. One of the guys explained how after studying something we only retain like 20% of the information, but there's a method in which you're meant to remember about 80% through trial and error, and testing yourself against the clock.

Advertisement