Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Play.com vat and buying a new game

• 15-10-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

I was going to buy a new xbox 360 game from play.com but was wondering is there extra vat or delivery charges for games or is the price what they say it is on the site?

I also know it says free delivery but that does that also apply to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yes its free, used them many times. There is no extra VAT as its within the EU and its included in the price. Only thing is Play rob you with the exchange rate, you'd get them cheaper in the shops here unless they are doing an offer. They can take 5-10 working day to deliver in my experience with them. If you look at their UK prices and them switch to Euros you can see it. The UK get better deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, the price you see (well at least in Euros) is the price you'll pay, delivered and all. I agree with Captain Chaos though, unless they are doing a special (they have quite a few of them throughout the year) there's little point in getting anything from them. If you want a title on release day, you need to get it in town somewhere, play.com will take 4-10 working days to get it to you and they never ship before the actual release date. You may even end up finding a game cheaper in the shops...

If you don't mind waiting, www.play-asia.com (nothing to do with play.com BTW) is much cheaper - if the game you want is available region free (they have a dedicated section). Delivery is something like $3.50 and if you only get one/two games at a time, you should avoid import charges. It takes around two weeks to get most games from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Yes I guess you're right guys.

The game in question is gears of war 2 limited edition.
    I'm not going for the plastic lancer though as that's a rip off.

How much do gamestop usually charge for limited editions of games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

quinnd6 wrote: »
    How much do gamestop usually charge for limited editions of games?

Lots! probably €70 at least knowing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Yes its free, used them many times. There is no extra VAT as its within the EU and its included in the price. Only thing is Play rob you with the exchange rate, you'd get them cheaper in the shops here unless they are doing an offer. They can take 5-10 working day to deliver in my experience with them. If you look at their UK prices and them switch to Euros you can see it. The UK get better deals.

Play.com are not in the EU.
    They are located in the Channel Islands so you could be charged import tax etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

No you won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've used Play more times than I can remember, and have never been charged import tax. It's not going to happen OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's been crackdowns by customs in the past (usually at Christmas time).

November '06
    February '07

Not sure if it's fully sorted now, but there's been no threads recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

kensutz wrote: »
    No you won't
    qz wrote: »
    I've used Play more times than I can remember, and have never been charged import tax. It's not going to happen OP.

But it could. Sure, it probably won't... But speaking as fact here, a mate ordered The West Wing, seasons 1-6 about a 2 years ago, got stung for €40 in tax...

I've never been hit myself, but it's best to be entirely informed!! Again, it's probably not gonna happen.

Didn't know that about Play.com... It has never happened to me even with electronics (I bought the 360 steering wheel from them - oddly enough, they will ship console accessories here - for free too - but not electronics/gadgets.. go figure) and definitely not with games. I don't think I've ever placed an order real close to Christmas though.

It also would seem that customs look at the physical size of a package rather than just value... The West Wing set would be pretty big I guess. Whenever I get stuff off Play-Asia, if it's only one or two Xbox games, I've never been charged import duty (which would always apply to them) but when I once got 5 together, it was bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

GOW 2 deluxe edition can be bought for €57.34 delivered if you order before 12pm tomorrow as there is 10% off everything so don't know if that will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Not really related to this topic but play-asia were mention earlier. Does anyone know if you import a 360 region free game from the US or Asia can it be traded in the like of Game and xtravision? I know imported PS3 and DS games can be exchanged but all those games are region free.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not really related to this topic but play-asia were mention earlier. Does anyone know if you import a 360 region free game from the US or Asia can it be traded in the like of Game and xtravision? I know imported PS3 and DS games can be exchanged but all those games are region free.

Ive had problems with that before in gamestop, the disc said NTSC instead of Pal but was region free but because it said NTSC they said they couldnt take it even thought they knew it was region free and would more than likely work fine but they dont test them there and then to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Axwell wrote: »
    Ive had problems with that before in gamestop, the disc said NTSC instead of Pal but was region free but because it said NTSC they said they couldnt take it even thought they knew it was region free and would more than likely work fine but they dont test them there and then to find out.

hhhmmm thats what I feared. cheers.

I'd only import a 360 game that I know I'd want to hang on to in that case. God I hate region locking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The savings buying from Play-Asia offsets any potential lost tradein value.
    "Should I buy the game in Ireland or from Play-Asia where I can save €30?
    If I get it from Play-Asia I can't trade it in and get €20 back from an Irish shop"

Just buy the game and keep it.

The savings buying from Play-Asia offsets any potential lost tradein value.
    "Should I buy the game in Ireland or from Play-Asia where I can save €30?
    If I get it from Play-Asia I can't trade it in and get €20 back from an Irish shop"

Very good point. And you could always just sell the game on Adverts or something - most people won't give you the hassle Gamestop/Game will. I tend to buy most of the games that I don't want on release from Play-Asia if they are region-free. The Asian versions usually work out at €35 for most new titles...

Advertisement