Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aidan Lynch

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭

Up until some time this year, Aidan Lynch was the presenter of "Icon" on Tuesday nights. Cathal Funge is now the permanent presenter, having stood in for Aidan many times on this slot earlier on this year.

I also notice that on Phantom's website that Aidan Lynch is still listed as a presenter on Phantom. However, if you click on his name, instead of getting the bespectacled gent, you get a page displayed about "Icon" with a picture of Cathal Funge.

Aidan was one of the guys involved with Phantom from the outset way back in its pirate days. Using the moniker Paul Clarke, Aidan was on Coast FM initially and then left to form the more pure alternative rock station Alcatraz. After the demise of Coast FM in February 1996, Spectrum was formed in July 1996 with some from Coast and some from Alcatraz, including "Paul Clarke". This was succeeded by Phantom in late 1998, with most of the Spectrum personnel, including Aidan, still in place.

So I have three questions of interest to me:
    1. What has happened to Aidan Lynch?

2. What station or stations was Aidan involved with, prior to Coast FM in the
    '90s, starting with his radio involvement in 1987? (I learnt from a submission given by Phantom in one of its previous attempts at a licence that Aidan's radio experience goes back to 1987.)

3. When are you going to sort out the discrepancy that I noticed on the website, and mentioned above ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi Declan

To answer your questions:

1. Aidan is now known as "The Great Stupendo" and is making a living performing in a travelling circus as has been his dream since childhood. This summer he enjoyed a successful season on Blackpool pier. Failing that, pressure of business has meant that Aidan has taken a back seat at Phantom towers for now.

2. I'll leave Aidan to give you his radio pedigree which involves rock radio over quite a number of years including the aforementioned Alcatraz.

3. Ooops...Ill get the web boffins to get that one sorted.

Aidans replacement "Cathal Funge" was an orphan owned by some fishermen in Wexford. We bought him and used the skills of Professor Lynn Cummins to create the broadcasting collosus he is now. Tune in to Icon Tuesdays from 8pm and Saturdays from 8am to find out more.

Cheers,
    Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Hi Declan

To answer your questions:

1. Aidan is now known as "The Great Stupendo" and is making a living performing in a travelling circus as has been his dream since childhood. This summer he enjoyed a successful season on Blackpool pier. Failing that, pressure of business has meant that Aidan has taken a back seat at Phantom towers for now.

2. I'll leave Aidan to give you his radio pedigree which involves rock radio over quite a number of years including the aforementioned Alcatraz.

3. Ooops...Ill get the web boffins to get that one sorted.

Aidans replacement "Cathal Funge" was an orphan owned by some fishermen in Wexford. We bought him and used the skills of Professor Lynn Cummins to create the broadcasting collosus he is now. Tune in to Icon Tuesdays from 8pm and Saturdays from 8am to find out more.

Cheers,
    Simon

Nice one, Simon! Thanks for that. Cathal is going from strength to strength under expert tutilage!

Simon,
    With the various schedule changes since this station commenced broadcasting and with some taking backroom or executive seats and others leaving, you are now the only regular Phantom voice who goes back to the Coast FM days. Indeed, I think you and Jack Hyland may be the only regular voices from the Spectrum days, unless John Caddell was there. (I know he was with Alcatraz alright).

Wow, it's amazing how things change. There are so many new or newish talents on Phantom now, which is good to see - I mean hear!

I take it you were being a little flippant re Aidan. I hope he is enjoying his backroom role and his other business career.
    Best wishes to Aidan Lynch.

Advertisement