Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEART

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

who loves heart ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Eh no no no;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

They've grown on me the last couple of years, being a big Guitar Hero player, and Crazy On You and Barracuda have become catchy tunes. Their mid-late 80s years didn't do them any justice at all though, to be honest.

Saw them on Rock Honours a couple of years ago, Ann Wilson can still belt 'em out, to her eternal credit. Nancy's voice sounds wretched lately though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I only know four songs by them, but I like what I've heard.

I love "Magic Man" and "Crazy On You"! "Barracuda" is pretty cool too. "Alone" is ok, but power ballads aren't really my thing.

I only know four songs by them, but I like what I've heard.

I love "Magic Man" and "Crazy On You"! "Barracuda" is pretty cool too. "Alone" is ok, but power ballads aren't really my thing.

Alone is actually the best of a bad bunch, you'd better stay the f*ck away from "All I wanna do is make love to you", and "These Dreams"

Especially the latter as it's the living proof that Nancy was the inferior vocalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The song 'magic man' is a seriously excellent song. No doubt about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Dreamboat Annie (which includes Magic Man and Crazy on You) is one of the great rock debuts, and one of my favourite albums.

However, I do agree that the "MT-USA era" (I call it such, 'cos I associate Fab Vinnie playing These Dreams almost every week) is best avoided.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have a few of thier albums, at thier best Heart combined the knack of pop-radio friendly tunes and a hard rockin' sound, a sort of distaff Cheap Trick.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

one of the best bands for power ballads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a <3 that dare not speak its name....

However, I do agree that the "MT-USA era" (I call it such, 'cos I associate Fab Vinnie playing These Dreams almost every week) is best avoided.

I would actually like to partially retract my original statement. This thread made me dust off the double CD Essential Heart, and Nothin' At All is actually a pretty strong track, and that was released in either 85 or 86.

It does go rapidly downhill from there until about 92 though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Check them out as The Lovemongers covering Zeppelins Battle of Evermore. Its Class.

Surprised some little bint hasnt made an arse cover of Barracuda yet, tho I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Well, McCain robbed Barracuda for his campaign, much to the chagrin of the Wilsons and guitarist Roger Fisher, who co-wrote it.
    However, Fisher's philosophy was inspired, namely that he didn't mind the Republicans using the track, as he was going to reinvest the money he made for it back into the Democratic coffers, so that McCain was technically funding Obama.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Nea wrote: »

Surprised some little bint hasnt made an arse cover of Barracuda yet, tho I could be wrong

She also performed it live, with Heart, on American Idol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I wouldnt say thats an arse cover. Fergies voice aint too bad.
    I meant on the level of Britney covering Joan Jett

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Fergies version is a bit too sexed up imo. the random usage of oohs and ahhs disturbs me...

sadista wrote: »
    Fergies version is a bit too sexed up imo. the random usage of oohs and ahhs disturbs me...

It was supposed to be! Hence the reason behind the song.
    For those not in the know, a reporter claimed that the two sisters were lesbian lovers, which pissed off Ann Wilson, who then put pen to paper and out came Barracuda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    For those not in the know, a reporter claimed that the two sisters were lesbian lovers.

A teenage Stovelid applauds and hopes this was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    It was supposed to be! Hence the reason behind the song.
    For those not in the know, a reporter claimed that the two sisters were lesbian lovers, which pissed off Ann Wilson, who then put pen to paper and out came Barracuda.

I dont get it....

stovelid wrote: »
    A teenage Stovelid applauds and hopes this was true.

It wasn't, Nancy Wilson ended up marrying Cameron Crowe. I don't believe Ann ever married.

Ann was in fact shagging her other sister Lynn! :p

Mike

• Advertisement

Nea wrote: »
    I wouldnt say thats an arse cover. Fergies voice aint too bad.
    I meant on the level of Britney covering Joan Jett

Yeah, it's actually an ok version. I posted it because it's the only cover version I know.

I'm sure there have been many "arse" versions at various karaoke bars throughout the past 30-odd years! :pac:

Advertisement