Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you actually like about driving?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I only drive a saxo but for a first car it's great. If you keep it in the right gear it will handle well. It can make small narrow roads exciting because you don't know what's going to happen next! But I love driving except traffic. So I love the local roads where I know how far I can push it as well as driving from Sligo to Waterford at two in the morning. Great fun. Different route every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Here my favourites:

Yes, definetly a blast on some twisty backroads. Donegal seems to be a great spot for this kind of stuff. Its great to get a nice sequence of slow to medium speed bends in succession. Its an oppourtunity to appreciate a good handling car without the need for ball busting bhp figures - where an MX5 could be as much fun as a 911. (I hope!)

Getting a heal and toe just right as you slow rapidly into a corner.

Beating a badged up A4 1.9tdi "RS4" off the line. Ill never get tired of that. :)

When there's space, doing a little power slide in the wet. Always slightly scary, always a grin afterwards tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I love the sense of acceleration when I'm driving on open roads. I drive a rev-happy Honda and have on occasion accidentally hit the rev limiter in it :). Its only an i-VTEC unit, I'd love one with proper DOHC VTEC... or a few extra cylinders :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dades wrote: »
    Oh, and Lynard Skynard.
    :eek: tut, tut!

Lynyrd Skynyrd ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I used to love leaving cars eating my dust after going through the toll bridge,i miss the toll bridge i do :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Driving in rural areas and everyone salutes you.
    Even if they have no clue who you are they still salute. It's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

joeperry wrote: »
    I used to love leaving cars eating my dust after going through the toll bridge,i miss the toll bridge i do :)

M4 or M1 for that now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Acceleration and the sense of freedom that driving gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I love driving because...Last Friday I got to drive an Audi A8 4.2 for the whole day..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I love the independence of going where you want, when you want, and not having to wait on a bus. I love not getting wet in the rain. Being able to wear heels to work cause I dont have to walk a mile in them to get there. Love being able to wear jeans without the bottoms of them getting frayed in the space of a day because I have to haul ass half way across the city to get where I want to go.

It shortens distance big time too. Clondalkin - Tallaght by bus - bout an hour
    Clondalkin - Tallaght by car - 10 mins!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I love waiting on buses at night. When one finally comes, I pull out in front of it in the bus lane, and drive about 5km/h under the limit. I always wave to the nice driver as he eventually passes me. Then I pull in and wait for another bus. I also enjoy braking suddenly when there's a taxi behind me. I put the hazards on after I have stopped (two feet from the kerb, obviously). When I'm walking, I wave to every taxi driver I see, and give them a big smile. They have a very stressful job, so I do my bit to cheer them up. If I'm first in line at a red light, I try to get into the inside lane, about one foot from the kerb. This is to protect any cyclists that may arrive behind me from the danger of cycling through the red light. Cyclists need all the help they can get, and I like to think I do my bit.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement