Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London

Options
  • 16-10-2008 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

G'day,

Myself and the family (wife + 2 kids) are thinking of relocating to london. We would like some suggestions on good areas' with good skools etc ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

G'day,

Myself and the family (wife + 2 kids) are thinking of relocating to london. We would like some suggestions on good areas' with good skools etc ;)

Is the budget really that bad?

Have ye no sense of patriotic duty at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

is patriotic duty going to keep the wolf from my door..gonna pay my mortgage.... get me a job.. if the answer is no please send a self addressed envelop to :

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The abroad forum used to have a sticky about London - check there..

If that sticky is not there anymore, do a search for it.

I lived in London for 5 years and all I will say is live as close to your work as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

not much advise there then!!!!

can't really advise you on an area, it depends where ye get work really, I lived over there for a few years and moved around to follow my job. my guess is that you will have to travel to work either way. The big factor of course is what you can afford, Notting Hill is beautiful but very expensive. your budget will dictate where you live I'm sure.

Are you considering moving there cause you have friends and family over there? it's a lonely place if you don't have someone there. Also, if it's just to escape the current situtation here (and I can't blame you for that) then there are other places with higher standards of living.

As regards the Children, if you want to get them into a catholic school it would be advisable to get a letter of recommendation from your local priest here before you go over. I have family living over there and they only accept kids into catholic schools if you are active in the community, i.e. go to church regularly and take part in tea mornings etc. suppose it depends on the priest but it's no harm to be prepared.

I hope it all works out for you whatever you decide. Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 EnoughSaid

G'day,

with good "skools" etc ;)

It appears that you didn't do too well is school yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

EnoughSaid wrote: »
    It appears that you didn't do too well is school yourself!

Check your PMs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

have you considered leaving the family behind and commuting every so often? Cheap flights available. I wouldn't bring kids up in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why would you move to London? The economy there is almost as terrible as Ireland and it costs WAY more to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi

have you been to Southfields? it's a really nice, safe area (at least I never felt threatened there and hardly seen any yobs at all) in Zone 3, between Wimbledon and Putney, but much cheaper than either of them. I have seen loads of families with small kids there and there are 2 beautiful and well kept parks right on your doorstep: Wimb. Park + Wimb. common. The public transportation is not that bad, either: the District Line has a stop there and quite a few buses pass through it, too.

I would be happy to go back there any time... if I could

• Advertisement
Advertisement