Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring Linksys WRT54GL on Eircom (3MB) - need help!

Options
  • 16-10-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new Linksys WRT54GL router today to replace my old Eircom Netopia 3347NWG router.

The trouble is, I can't figure out which settings to put in so I can get connected again. The eircom "support" pages aren't really much support... :rolleyes:

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Um the WRT54GL has an Ethernet WAN port, have you got a modem in bridge mode connected to it?

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dord wrote: »
    I just got a new Linksys WRT54GL router today to replace my old Eircom Netopia 3347NWG router.

The trouble is, I can't figure out which settings to put in so I can get connected again. The eircom "support" pages aren't really much support... :rolleyes:

Can anyone help?

As I keep pointing out it is unreasonable to expect any isp to provide support for the zillions of routers that are out there. Did you read the wrt54gl manual or google it?

The 3347nwg is a combined modem/router - the linksys is only a router and needs to be used in conjunction with a modem. The linksys cannot be used on its own to connect to Eircom or indeed any isp.

Well Is suppose that would involve having to train the Monkeys they employ to read their scripts...

(Runs for cover)

MC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

dub45 wrote: »
    As I keep pointing out it is unreasonable to expect any isp to provide support for the zillions of routers that are out there. Did you read the wrt54gl manual or google it?

The 3347nwg is a combined modem/router - the linksys is only a router and needs to be used in conjunction with a modem. The linksys cannot be used on its own to connect to Eircom or indeed any isp.

Yes, I've been reading the manual.

I don't expect them to have support for every single router out there.

Well Is suppose that would involve having to train the Monkeys they employ to read their scripts...

(Runs for cover)

MC ;)

Seriously though it amazes me what people expect from isps.

People spend thousands of euros on cars but they don't expect driving lessons do they?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »

Ok, so is it possible/worthwhile to use the Netopia as the modem?
    or would you suggest using something else (if so what?)

Yes you can set the Netopia to operate in bridged mode, and it should be fine. Just get the WRT to do the PPoE etc and all will be well.

MC

Ok great thanks! I'll try that.

Dord wrote: »
    Ok, so is it possible/worthwhile to use the Netopia as the modem?
    or would you suggest using something else (if so what?)

You will have to put the Netopia into bridge mode (access the netopia on http://192.168.1.254) this means that it will simply supply the internet signal to the Linksys which then does the rest.

You will then have to put the settings which Eircom supply on that 'other modems' page into the Linksys::
    Basic modem settings:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Don't forget to save your settings and exit.

Advertisement