Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help

Options
  • 16-10-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

I am going home to Galway from Cork on Friday via Limerick and was wondering if anyone knows where I could get some Hornady ammo on way home or in Cork for that matter? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Ps. Is Remmie UMC ammo any good? That's whats I was given with the rifle, I was also told to stick with whatever I started with....
    Just hear Hornady to be one of the best.

Thanks again lads Oh it's for a 223 sorry:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Scully in Athlone (beside the garda station) is on the way, but you do know if you use different ammo you most probably need to re-zero..

ps.. beware of the fairy stories if you visit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The umc stuff is surprisingy good for budget ammo but being flat base the groups widen out beond 250 mt. you do get the odd flyer but they group half inch @ 100 mt. in my rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There is a gun/fishing/archery store In Limerick near the Market place
    in the city.
    (Hate the was the 3 sports always get bundled together when it comes to shops)

They have a website that has not been updated in ages so duuno if the contact numbers
    are still valid or not:
    http://flyfish.ie/
    Also attached in the .kmz google earth link to the store.
    The guy running the place charges way to much for ammo though.

I dont have a .223 so cant say what brand of ammo is good or bad but
    from my experience with my own rimfire rifle it Hates Remington ammo and
    Loves Hornady
    ~B

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

The good thing about the ammo you are using is the price.. That said, it gives fairly good results but not good enough for precise target shooting. Hornady is far better IMO. Best advice is to keep using the cheap stuff until you get well used to the rifle (especially trigger pull) and the calibre.

Then, get yourself some match grade ammo like Hornady 53 or 75 grain and see the difference. You'll probably be amazed how different it performs at say 200m.

James McBride on Bullitt Road near Athlone also sells a good choice of .223 but he only opens after 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

try country lifestyles in Mallow - got some hornady there last year, a little pricy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Forget Limerick!!!:( That place in the market just got their upgrade to restricted ammo liscense and wont order anything untill they have an order worth 10K of pistol or big calibre ammo! So Limerick folks support your local gun store and get your liscense copies into them so we just MIGHT have some ammo available to us here.

From Cork your choices are,Country sports Mallow,Halpins in Listowel[if you fancy a senic route,],one or two lads in Clare,and then Galway or Athlone.Thats pretty much it,on the Midwest/West area.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Try Murrays on St. Patricks St in Cork. Phone them first .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Lads, I gotta say thanks a million for the amazing response! I'm sure I won't be stuck for the weekend anyway. Really appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

PM sent with numbers to try

Advertisement