Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diabetes help/looking to join garda medical requirements?

• 16-10-2008 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hows things

im new to boards.ie have joined looking for help and advice about joining the gards!

im just going on 22 almost a quailified electrician and have always wanted to join the gards and think now is the time but only one thing is holding me back - diabetes!

iv had diabetes almost 20 years is controlled very well never any problems have regular check ups etc etc!i am insulin dependant type 1!

From doing research on the net etc i have recently found out there is a blanket ban on any1 with diabetes being recruited which means any1 with diabetes can not be a candidate!
    Recently this has appered in the papers as it is discrimination and against equaility laws to single out a person because he/she has diabetes that in recent years controlling diabetes has improved greatly with diabetics having a normal life no different to any1 else which does not affect them in any way!

what im getting at is i want any advice, i have rang the diabetic federation of ireland they said the laws regarding diabetics are years old and are changing soon that i am to apply as any other candidate and get as far as medical and go from there,the garda head office has said the same!

the uk and northern ireland police forces have no problems with diabetics being recruited and have done so recently with regards to individual applicants the no 2 people are the same!

i am no different to any other person i lead a normal life have a normal job and diabetes has no affect on me at all i take the same lunch breaks as any other person and have not missed a day of work in over 4 years so why should i be discriminated against joining?

could i take this to the courts if needs be?

and is there any guards on here or no of anybody in th gardai with diabetes that could help!

thanks in advance

shane!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hey Hogster,

Before I start just a quick reminder for ye to mind the auld text speak. Your post above is not too bad but just something to keep an eye on.

Right so plowing on. Yes there is a ban on diabetics at the moment but they are trying to amend that so as not to discriminate against people such as yourself. In fact the GRA magazine ran a story on disbetes last month where according to the article there are many Gardai who suffer from diabetes themselves. The article was bending towards a change in the shift hours to improve members health and so on.

My advice to you to go ahead and apply for it. If your diabetes becomes a problem at the medical, well I will leave you to come up with a solution to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 May76

Hi,

I was trying to check out the same thing as my 15 year old son (type 1) has his heart set on joining the guards.

I came across a piece on jcfj.ie, in their Oireachtas report section. In the past few weeks, Aengus OSnodaigh raised the matter in the Dail. He asked for the blanket ban to be removed and was told there is no blanket ban, someone just has to be found suitably fit/healthy by the force's doctor. I suppose the catch is what they deem to be fit.....

I'd say your best bet is to throw in your application and keep in touch with the Diabetes Federation. The VERY best of luck with it.

Advertisement