Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull Rabbit Out of Hat to Win Election!

Options
  • 16-10-2008 1:01am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

If you were running the McCain-Palin campaign, knowing that you are now behind in the state and national polls, is there a rabbit you could pull out of your hat just before the 4 November 2008 presidential election that might turn the tide slightly in favour of McCain for a win? Care to suggest one?

Here's mine...
    • Stage One: Associate Ayers with Obama (have little old ladies express fear of Obama at campaign stops) a couple of weeks before the election.
    • Stage Two: Encourage convenient mistakes like Barack "Osama" on NY ballots as reminders of the manufactured terrorist connection.
    • Stage Three: Just before the 4 November election (2 or 3 November) release a video of Osama Bin Laden endorsing Obama, along with noting the Ayers connection. It could be mysteriously released onto the web from some unidentified source. Could be an actor that is made up to look like OBL, cause it will take more than a day or two to debunk it.

Or... as an alternative to Stage Three: McCain talks tonight during the debate that he will be instrumental in the capture Osama bin Laden, has been working behind the scenes, and just before the election (maybe 2 or 3 November) Bush and Company produces the real bin Laden, giving credit to McCain.

That's my rabbit. Do you have one to pull out of a hat that might turn the election in favour of McCain at the last moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Palin prays to thor...

oots0007.gif

Obama's plane is taken down in an unfortunate bolt of lightning.

I find it hard to find plausible alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

[*]Stage One: Associate Ayers with Obama (have little old ladies express fear of Obama at campaign stops) a couple of weeks before the election.

already been done, at all their campaign rallies, and hes supposedly going to mention it tonight(after being goaded by both republican supporters and Obama himself), unfortunately for the McCain camp, Obama has had over a week to prepare a response to it. either way lose/lose situation for McCain(dont mention it and get your supporters angry or do mention it and Obama will throw it back in his face)
    [*]Stage Two: Encourage convenient mistakes like Barack "Osama" on NY ballots as reminders of the manufactured terrorist connection.

already happened(on fake voter registration forms), ok maybe not in NY but its already been done, all it does is tarnishes the McCain with being dirty and deceitful and turns off swing voters
    [*]Stage Three: Just before the 4 November election (2 or 3 November) release a video of Osama Bin Laden endorsing Obama, along with noting the Ayers connection. It could be mysteriously released onto the web from some unidentified source. Could be an actor that is made up to look like OBL, cause it will take more than a day or two to debunk it.

coming from a campaign as badly run and organised as McCains ? doubtful......
    also the war in iraq is not the main issue in the election like it was 4 years ago, the economy is. but you never know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Just saw a one question survey item by the Huffington Post on AOL. It asked if there is an "October Surprise" for Obama (pull rabbit out of hat)? After over 40 thousand votes, 66% thought it would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Unless McCain is air dropped into Pakistan and drags OBL back to the USA while taking out hordes of AQ I don't see how OBL being captured/killed would help his campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lolz at your first number three, I like it. I think the first two were old hat way before the last month of the election, they will have no effect on the vote. The type of people who would be put off by this are the type of people who didn't vote for him in the primaries because his middle name is Hussein-ie the type who will never vote for him. So they have already been accounted for in the polls. Palin was the rabbit that was supposed to mobilise the base and I don't think its happened, or if it has there's been as much negative stuff about her as positive. Has there been any "get out the vote" campaigning by the GOP of the type which won Bush the 2004 election? That's what could have made the difference but might have been left too late at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just saw a one question survey item by the Huffington Post on AOL. It asked if there is an "October Surprise" for Obama (pull rabbit out of hat)? After over 40 thousand votes, 66% thought it would happen.

For Obama? He doesn't need one, he's already had his October Surprise with the massive Wall Street downturn, his 'strength.' McCain's came in August, with his better showing during the Ossetia scrap. Nothing else will come.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

:rolleyes:

A link would have done!
    Is this chain-mail day on the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I think Mccain has what he needs in 'Joe the Plumber.' This could be the item that will swing the middle class vote back his way all the way to victory, and personally that is what I think will happen.

The conservative/right wing media machine is already hammering this topic for all it's worth. I think this was the slip from Obama that they have been waiting for, and it's come JUST at the right time.

Now Mccain has a human story around which to weave his political narrative, and I'm genuinely scared it will be enough to destroy Obama's chances.

Well McCain has already blundered once by saying Obamas HealthCare plans would screw Joe. No they won't as Obama pointed out.

And after reading about an interview Joe gave last night, he comes across as a very right wing republican who does not think "big-earners" should contribute more than lesser paid people as it is a tax on success...that won't win McCain much support I would have thought in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Ludo wrote: »
    Well McCain has already blundered once by saying Obamas HealthCare plans would screw Joe. No they won't as Obama pointed out.

And after reading about an interview Joe gave last night, he comes across as a very right wing republican who does not think "big-earners" should contribute more than lesser paid people as it is a tax on success...that won't win McCain much support I would have thought in these times.

There are two problems.

1) I don't think most middle class americans will make the distinction. They will remember the soundbite. Joe the plumber, an average guy trying to achieve the American dream is worried that Obama will take his money and give it to others. This is a core fear for ppl in America about high taxes. They may not make that kind of money yet, but what if they succeed and make it tomorrow? The republicans are going to hammer this point non-stop for the next 3 weeks.

2) This considerably weakens Obama's middle class tax cut impetus. He's going to make things better for 95% of Americans he says. But 'Joe,' seems like the quintessential middle-class American.

As I said before. I really fear this issue could do Obama serious damage if it hasn't already.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Memnoch wrote: »
    I think Mccain has what he needs in 'Joe the Plumber.' This could be the item that will swing the middle class vote back his way all the way to victory, and personally that is what I think will happen.
    The Joe the Plumber theme by McCain came out hollow, poorly rehearsed, and sophomoric at the debate. The campaign adds will have to do a lot to candy coat McCain's poorly delivered message.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If you were running the McCain-Palin campaign, knowing that you are now behind in the state and national polls, is there a rabbit you could pull out of your hat just before the 4 November 2008 presidential election that might turn the tide slightly in favour of McCain for a win? Care to suggest one?
    That's my rabbit. Do you have one to pull out of a hat that might turn the election in favour of McCain at the last moment?

A rabbit would be a bad idea, wildlife doesn't last long when Palin is around :D

I am not allowed discuss …

Memnoch wrote: »
    Don't think that Joe the Plumber qualifies as "The Rabbit out of the Hat" October surprise that will radically alter the direction reflected in the polls. If this is all they have left, they will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is the same "Joe who's not actually a Plumber after all" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Chain mail deleted.

People. Read the rules before posting.

If McCain comes out now, drops his negative campaigning, details his plans for Iraq, details his plans for catching Bin Ladin, details his plans for the economy and ditches his placating of the republican core and shifts towards liberal republicans and independents, he has a chance.

He's stated "he knows how to deal with....." Iraq, Bin Ladin and the economy. He needs to share it with the rest of us.

He's losing non-conservatives and indies by the minute and he needs to forget about the republican core, they're behind him anyway.

Ditching Palin would help imho, but that will never happen :(

GuanYin wrote: »
    If McCain comes out now, drops his negative campaigning, details his plans for Iraq, details his plans for catching Bin Ladin, details his plans for the economy and ditches his placating of the republican core and shifts towards liberal republicans and independents, he has a chance.
    Maybe in an alternative universe, but not in this presidential campaign. McCain and Palin will continue to push Joe the Plumber, as well as Ayers the Weatherman in their Plumber-Ayers ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'm surprised one thing hasn't been used by the Republicans at all yet and that's Obama's admitted cocaine use. I presume it's because it might draw some attention to Cindy McCain's own (previous) opiate addiction but they may well decide that it's a risk worth taking late on. Barring that, I have no doubt that there will be a big military/security scare/triumph/whatever in the next 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eltentwelve

latenia wrote: »
    Barring that, I have no doubt that there will be a big military/security scare/triumph/whatever in the next 2 weeks.

Agreed. I'm surprised nothing's happened yet ... oh wait, there was the financial thing.

• Advertisement

it wont win him the election but McCain and Obama are live (CNN) at a charity dinner and McCain is giving himself a bit of a hazing and a praising to obama.

Looks like theyre burying the hatchet and the scalpel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mccainnothusseinlargeqe5.jpg

Perhaps this kind of thing, surprised they haven't been pushing his other surname a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Perhaps this kind of thing, surprised they haven't been pushing his other surname a lot more.

What's his other surname?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think it would take a national security crisis of 9/11 proportions to swing things back in McCain's favour tbh. (Touch wood, touch wood, touch wood). I have a strong feeling that McCain's campaign are well and truly out of rabbits now.

cornbb wrote: »
    I think it would take a national security crisis of 9/11 proportions to swing things back in McCain's favour tbh. (Touch wood, touch wood, touch wood). I have a strong feeling that McCain's campaign are well and truly out of rabbits now.
    Born on February 11, 1964, Palin is a Zodiac Water-Rabbit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

There will be something major in the UK soon according to newsmax and if there is it will probably be the end of liberal labour too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

yaynay wrote: »
    What's his other surname?

He means middle name. It has been noted by the commentators that there has been a definite avoidance of the use of middle names in this campaign. After all, we're all familiar with William Jefferson Clinton or George W. Bush. But Hussein and Sydney just aren't being thrown around much. Maybe it's because neither of them sound anywhere near as politically impressive as those of former presidents.

NTM

He means middle name. It has been noted by the commentators that there has been a definite avoidance of the use of middle names in this campaign. After all, we're all familiar with William Jefferson Clinton or George W. Bush. But Hussein and Sydney just aren't being thrown around much. Maybe it's because neither of them sound anywhere near as politically impressive as those of former presidents.

NTM

McCain said that Obama's middle name is off limits for attack and [joke] Sydney is the name of famous african american[/joke], so both candidates are trying to keep it quite ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement