Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my right as a consumer of dell

Options
  • 16-10-2008 6:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

hello all.
    I purchased a dell xps 600 pc in 2006 for a costly 3,600 euro. I have complete care accidental damage coverage until febuary 2009. when I first purchased this pc a couple of weeks later the main cage fan in the pc stopped working and could not use the pc. dell sent out a technician to replace it after I was waiting 2 weeks. then the motherboard failed shortly after and they sent out another technician to replace it. now the motherboard has failed again so I called dell technical support and they put me through to dell india support.(I have paid for premium support but they keep putting me through to india) I have told them my problem and they said it was the motherboard again that has failed. I have been waiting now for a week and there is no sign of the technician. I have spent a week on the phone with them trying to fix this problem. dell did say last week that a technician will be out on monday so I waited all day and no one came. the same technician then told me he would be out to me on tuesday for definate so I waited all day tuesday still no sign of him. and they still won't send a technician out. as a consumer do I have the right to demand a replacement pc or a refund as the same problem keeps occuring with this computer. thanks
    michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Michael,

Like you and thousands of others in this country, I bought a DELL and paid a hefty premium for their aftersales care which in my experience to date is complete sh1te and not worth the money I paid for it. I too was sick of being put through to India and dealing with someone who couldn't understand my problems and just gave me some standard replies. Even when I rang their Dun Laoghaire office direct and tried to explain my problem, they just put me on hold and next I knew, I was through to India again :mad:.

Moral of the story, don't buy a DELL again. Build your own pc and get what you want instead of a compromise. If you must buy a DELL, then don't give them a cent for their "warranty" and just put this money aside for if and when you need to get an independent technician in to sort your pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since it's two years old, a refund is probably off the cards. A replacement might be possible, since the same problem is recurring, and they don't seem to be able to get a tech to you.

However, I know from dealing with Dell here at work, that you'll not get a replacement easily either. We had on PC here, that in 12 months had 3 motherboards, 2 power supplies, 2 hard disks, 1 CPU change and the RAM changed twice. The only thing that didn't get changed in it was the case and the power cable. Dell refused to replace the entire machine (even though practically the whole thing was replaced at least once) and we even had the computer sent back to Dell, and they kept it for 6 weeks. Still didn't work when it was returned after that, and had the motherboard and RAM replaced again within days of getting it back.

If a company that spends millions at Dell every year can't get a replacement, you've very little hope. Moral of the story: don't don't don't don't don't don't don't don't don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy Dell. Especially don't waste money on their uber-crappy extended warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I won't be buying a dell again never. but doesn't this make a mockery of our rights as a consumer. by law they have to replace/refund a product if it is proven to be faulty which this pc is. I dont care I have had enough and spent far to much money on phonecalls to them to give up on this I will be contacting the national consumer agency tomorrow and the ombudsman in relation to my problem. if I am not given at least a replacement pc then I will be taking them to the small claims court. I've had enough of this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zenno wrote: »
    by law they have to replace/refund a product if it is proven to be faulty
    But they have been replacing the stuff... but do let us know how you get on with the small claims court. PLEASE look at their warranty, and see if it states how many replacements of the one part has to happen before you get a replacement. May add more weight to your case.

the_syco wrote: »
    But they have been replacing the stuff... but do let us know how you get on with the small claims court. PLEASE look at their warranty, and see if it states how many replacements of the one part has to happen before you get a replacement. May add more weight to your case.

it doesn't say anything about how many times a part has to fail before been given a replacement. below is the only thing related to replacement I could find.

8.14 Dell will repair, or in the event that repair does not occur, replace Product which is defective within a reasonable period & with reasonable care & skill. This may only be varied to the extent reasonably agreed with Consumer

national consumer agency: The repair of an item must be permanent if that is what a company offers. Companies can not repeatedly attempt to repair a product and claim that they are honouring their legally binding contract with a customer.

I just received this: Dear Mr. Traynor,

Thank you for contacting Dell Email Hardware Support.

Having considered the issue description you sent to me, I had contacted the concerned team and I got the information that the technician will visit your place by next week. The shipment containing the part will be coming in on Friday. Regarding the technician visit next week, I can only confirm this to you by Monday (20/Oct/2008). more lies they said the exact same thing to me last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I never had a problem with Dell suport myself. But I wouldn't waste time messing like this. I'd just go to the small claims court and try and get some adverse publicity going aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Good (or should I say "bad") old Dell. They really need a section all to themselves seeing as they are a law unto themselves!
    I've not known any other computer manufacturer to get so many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

In fairness to Dell, their business support is excellent. I get engineers out to install parts in servers at 7pm that same day.
    I have never had a reason to use their home technicall support or had a reason to use warranty on any Dell i have owned. Which is about 5 or 6 so it sounds like you just had a bad experience. It happens.
    Inform Dell you are simply going down the road of the small claims court. They might put you on to someone useful who will replace the system. Wairing weeks for engineers is probably NOT the warranty you are supposed to have right? It is usually next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Your statutory rights entitle you to a replacment or refund if the first repair is not permanent. I had the same trouble with them with a 2 months old xps lap top, ended up getting onto conor pope from pricewatch to sort it out. If i were you i would email them so you have it in writing simply saying the situation and direct them to the consumer connect website, which details your statutory rights, and tell them you expect a replacement asap. If they stall lodge a complaint with the small claims court and the national consumer agency.

I have asked dell that I want all information regarding this pc's data and issues from when i first purchased it to be sent to me as then i can forward them to the right people. if they don't send the information to me then they will be breaking the law under the freedom of information act. they don't seem to like the idea of sending this to me but i warned them. will wait for this info and carry on from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have asked dell that I want all information regarding this pc's data and issues from when i first purchased it to be sent to me as then i can forward them to the right people. if they don't send the information to me then they will be breaking the law under the freedom of information act. they don't seem to like the idea of sending this to me but i warned them. will wait for this info and carry on from there

Just so you know they have to forward the info to you but they within their rights to charge you for the information.

Just so you know they have to forward the info to you but they within their rights to charge you for the information.

yes i know the charge will only amount to 10/15 euro. any idea on the waiting time to receive this data ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes i know the charge will only amount to 10/15 euro. any idea on the waiting time to receive this data ?
    40 days i think is the maximum they can take to provide this information so while you are waiting you should write a letter to dell in ireland in bray addressed to their head of customer complaints detailing all the problems you have had with dell and all that dell has done but the pc is still not working.

give them one final chance to replace the whole unit or you will be seeking redress through the small claims court

you will have to write to them as emails get routed to india!

cheers for the info foggylad...
    i'm working on a few things now at the moment. will give them the chance to phone me which they are supposed to today. if not i'll be taking a different road.

this case has been resolved they are sending me a replacement computer. thanks to everyone here for all the help and support I really appreciate it.

michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Zenno what kind of pc they replacing it with? ihad similar issue to you and they tried to fob me off with an sub standard XPS 630 to replace a XPS 720. I know there is a gap between the 720-730 but the spec they quoted im not happy with.

Darkener wrote: »
    Zenno what kind of pc they replacing it with? ihad similar issue to you and they tried to fob me off with an sub standard XPS 630 to replace a XPS 720. I know there is a gap between the 720-730 but the spec they quoted im not happy with.

hello. yes they are replacing my xps 600 with an xps 630 which is a bit of an upgrade to what i was using. so i will just wait and see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

i suppose its a bit different as i really only got 4 months out of mine. had a really bad customer service when they did replace ect so i have agreed to accept my XPS 630 if they upgrade me to the top of the line processor, graphics card and extended warranty.

If not i want a XPS 730 or money back

Advertisement