Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edge Insulation/Internal Wall Insulation.

• 16-10-2008 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, I have 2 questions.
    Q1. What is the requirement/good workmanship for edge insulation for ground floor screed?
    Q2. How would you guys recommend insulating Ist floor partition walls?
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Q1. 25mm thick aeroboard minimum but prefer 25mm xtratherm or kingspan. Full depth of slab. Very important detail, unfortunately many Builders don't put it in! If its a screed then it should "overlap" with the wall insulation therefore there isn't a problem. However, a screed containing UFH pipes IMO should be insulated with at least 50mm plus xtratherm.

Q2. 100mm thick Rockwool between timber studs, as it isn't supposed to sag over time. I also like to double slab on side of bedroom partitions, for sound deadening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Independent

Thanks Rko, what do u mean by 'overlap' and also do u need to just apply edge insulation to the external walls or internal also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Old Regs external only however new Regs may suggest internal as well. There are many schools of thought floating around at the moment. I'll investigate same. A B.E.R. Assessor might throw more light on this detail.

When did you receive Permission?

"Overlap" = I meant that the insulation in the cavity wall would start below the finished floor slab level. A screed would start above finished floor slab level, so the insulation in the wall would be below the screed or "overlap" with the floor slab vertical insulation, below the screed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Independent

I received planning July 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

if dry lining , then the edge insulation should extend past the plasterboard face - so you get full insulation to insulation contact - screed dry ing wount affect the plasterboard

EG - suppose you use a 62 ( 50 + 12 ) board - then use a 75mm thick slab edge insulation - the skirting will hide the 13mm strip of egde insulation

• Advertisement
Advertisement