Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do ?????????

Options
  • 16-10-2008 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

ok... I live in a a standard 3 bed semi detached house in Blanchardstown. The house beside me (not attached) have 2 huskie dogs and the owners have them trapped into alley way running the lenght of the house. So basically you they have two large dogs in a space measuring 30ft x 3ft. Would this be considered cruel? They do get out for a walk most days but my issue is the smell of dog S%*t and pee as I walk up my alley.

Its disgusting !! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ismishacats

I suppose there's two issues:

first the dogs' welfare and secondly there's the smell/nuisance for you.

An alley 30' x 3' isn't a particularly nice place to keep any dog. Do they have fresh water and shelter? Is it cleaned regularly? Regardless of whether they are walked every day dog's need stimulation...is this being fulfilled? Cruelty is a subjective thing. To me it sounds cruel but to others maybe no??? I personally believe dogs should have the comfort of being inside the house. But if they don't have shelter and water and are kept in unsanitary conditions then it's "legally" cruel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

I really think these dogs do need stimulation. Originally they had them in the back garden which is about 25ft x 25ft. The dogs were eating grass and scrapping holes so they decided to barricade them into the alley. They do have shelter which I think would be considered adequate. They just have 2 metal bowls which do not always contain water. They have a few toys which they chew constantly. The owners do clean out the alley every couple of days but Personally...I think its wrong !

Well every couple of days isn't enough, in such cramped conditions (and I don't think they should be kept in such a small space for any extended period at all) faeces should be cleaned up as soon as the dog goes to the loo. So I agree with you , they are wrong.

This confinement is particularly cruel with spitz (husky) breeds as they are bred to work and need to be kept occupied. I don't know what particular breed they are but I see a lot of Siberian Huskies and Malamutes being kept as pets now and im my opinion they shouldn't be considered unless the owner is willing to devote a lot of time to rigorous excercise, and ideally mushing...that's what they are designed to do.

If the dogs do not have access to fresh water all the time and are kept in unsanitary conditions their owners are breaking the law. Sadly this kind of practice is way too common and dealing with it in a neighbourly fashion is the best was to approach it to start. If you get along okay with them it might be an idea to say something to them in quite a diplomatic way... Start with "your dogs are gorgeous!" always a good start ;) and maybe say that you want to give them the heads up that you've seen the dog warden about checking up on the dogs in the area. If you make out your making suggestions for their benefit rather than complaining it may not need to go any further

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

and maybe say that you want to give them the heads up that you've seen the dog warden about checking up on the dogs in the area.

Do not say that to your neighbour. If your neighbour takes notice of what you said and does not hear from the dog warden he will think the conditions the dogs are in are just fine and will not change his set up. When the dog warden calls and nobody is home he will put a notice in the letterbox to say he called and nobody was home.

If the smell is that bad then it is an environmental issue and you are within your rights to call your local environmental health department and report the conditions.

As for the cruelty to the dogs which you believe is happening you should report it to your local SPCA officer. The local contact details are on the ISPCA website.

Both the environmental health and SPCA officer will not disclose to your neighbour the source of the complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

The "neighbours" are foreign nationals. (Chinese) They do not interact with any other neighbours. But its a good idea all the same
    Thanks

• Advertisement

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Do not say that to your neighbour. If your neighbour takes notice of what you said and does not hear from the dog warden he will think the conditions the dogs are in are just fine and will not change his set up.

You've just contradicted yourself??? "If the neighbour takes notice" he OR SHE will have changed "his" set up!!!

And why would they ever hear from the Dog warden. The whole idea of this strategy would be to improve the dogs' living conditions without resorting to legal procedures. If these people walk their dogs, and unlike so many who let them roam freely, and appear to otherwise look after them surely it's better to gently inform them of their errors.

Whether a report is anonymous or not surely it's better to be "neighbourly" and try a nice approach to the situation first?????

The fact that they are "non-Nationals" means they may even more likely to accept your advice. In fact they may even welcome it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Regardless of the race of the neighbours, telling them a big fib will get you nowhere.

The fact you've openly described where you live and the outlay of your neighbours house makes it a bit more ridiculous.

Just because they are foreign nationals does not mean they will take the advise from the neighbour, they may be more inclined to ignore them.

To ensure I do not contradict myself, do not lie to your neighbour. If you have a problem be honest about it. If you feel the neighbour is being cruel to the dog and you personally believe it is wrong confront it or report it.
    If you are affected by the environmental issues confront it or report it.

Do not be pretentious and pretend the dog warden called. If a dog warden was to call the neighbour would be notified of this either in person or by written notification through the letterbox.

LOL:D

Exactly my point ladyTbolt " If you feel the neighbour is being cruel (technically it is seen as neglect) to the dog and you personally believe it is wrong confront it." Yourself, not hiding behind another person anonmously, like the dog warden. You have no garauntee that the warden will find them guilty of neglect if they happen to have clean water, shelter, and the place isn't full of excretment they won't. And in this case they will definitely DO NOTHING to improve the dogs loving conditions. Under Irish Welfare law, the standards are VERY minimal. I would see people using the "acceptable" standard as being morally neglectful. And in fact the people being discussed here seem to fall within the law.

Anyway, it seems we must agree to disagree. I for one believe in informing people rather than informing on people, with the latter as a last resort when diplomacy has failed.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As long as they have food shelter and water the warden can't really do anything.

Perhaps it's best to call around and say although you like dogs and have no problem with them that the smell is really bothering you as you walk up your alley that you find it a bit too strong and if they could please just clean the area more often. These things can be delicate because you don't know how people are going to react.

Trying to think of the layout the owners probably don't notice the smell because their living space is possibly on the other side unless they have windows opening on to the alley. Whereas you have to pass that area more frequently perhaps.

Best of luck

Advertisement