Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding a Wii

Options
  • 16-10-2008 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi guys,

I got a wii last christmas and was wondering if anyone could tell me which modchip is the best and easy to install? I cant solder for sh*t and would be afraid to try incase I totally screw it up. An even better option for me would be if someone down my direction ( Limerick ) has done it before and would consider doing it for me ;) Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sub5

hey tara,
    The chip i would suggest and so would most others in here would be the D2Pro.
    I've fitted a lot of these and have not had 1 problem. A very reliable chip.
    If you dont find anybody down your way feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see what i can do.

sub5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tara1999

Cheers sub5. I would love to get yourself or someone to do it for me though. Preferebly someone in Limerick. Still no takers??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

sub5 is the man

There must be someone in or near the Limerick region that'll be kind enough to give up their time to do this for a little fee of course!!

Ok lads you give me no choice......... I'm gonna have to do it myself ! Been looking at a couple of videos on youtube on how to do it with the dc2pro and clip and it doesn't look that complicated :) . I think I'll go for that chip. Can people just confirm for me what website would be the best for buying it off. Thanks a million guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Let us know how you get on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I got a wii key a year or so back. It was tiny, and I couldn't solder it on the board. Then again last time I soldered I was in school about 15 years ago. so I gave up on it. Not thats it bothers me, I don't play it much. Either does my 7 year old, she prefers playing on the 360.

So as long as you have a steady hand and able to solder you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think she is taking the wii-clip option (no soldering required), you buy the chip presoldered to the clip and just clip it on inside the Wii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think she is taking the wii-clip option (no soldering required), you buy the chip presoldered to the clip and just clip it on inside the Wii

really never knew about them. cool.

Yea eamonnq, the ones with the clip are hassle free ( I hope ! ) but I'm still wondering if anyone has bought one online and off which site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

tara1999 wrote: »
    Yea eamonnq, the ones with the clip are hassle free ( I hope ! ) but I'm still wondering if anyone has bought one online and off which site?

I would also be interested in seeing where clip and chip can be bought as a package as it seems to be the simplest way of modding the wii for somebody with no soldering experience.

I have read online about some dodgy clones that will damage the drive if they are installed so wanna make sure the one I order is not one of those.

If one can't be found then off I will go with wii in hand to sub5 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

Hi guys

I am also interested in modding my Wii and I have contacted Wii Mods Ireland regarding the Mod Chip. Luckily for me my da is pretty nifty when it comes to soldering so I just need the Mod Chip itself. What I would like to know is if all I need is the Mod Chip. When it arrives and I have it soldered in is there anything else I need to invest in???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

0141607 wrote: »
    Luckily for me my da is pretty nifty when it comes to soldering so I just need the Mod Chip itself.
    I'm not too bad at soldering but I remember hearing the PS2 was microsoldering, dunno if this chip needs microsoldering, which is quite difficult

hey all,
    a word of advice using the clips, after putting the the clip on make sure its good and tight, close up the casing but only put a few screws in it to hold it together, test it for an hour or two before putting the rest of the screws in. Dont be surprised either if it stops working after a few months, even moving the wii around the place can knock it of the chip inside thats why a direct solder is a lot better. They may be hassle free to put em in but ya might spend more time opening and closing it to clip the chip back on.

Hey tara checkout chipspain.com and make sure you order the right clip for the right drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

How do you know which is the right clip for the right drive? thanks

tw0nk wrote: »
    How do you know which is the right clip for the right drive? thanks

go this page and enter your serial number from the back of your wii

http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php?serial

this will give you the information to what drive you have sittin inside your little white fella whether its a D2C or a D2B etc. AFAIK DMS, D2A, D2B take all the same clip and then D2C, D2C-2 and D2E take a different clip. it should on the site your buying it off which clip is compatable with each drive

hope it helps

sub5

Advertisement