Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router with longest range

Options
  • 16-10-2008 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

What router is is the best range wise,

My cousin wants to share his sisters broadband,

They live in houses next to each other,

Only about 20 feet between the two walls.

I am sure that a good wireless router should pass this distance, walls included,

So can anyone recommend one that is known for having good range, to be sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Best one I have found and tested with is D-link DIR 635 - Thats an N type router it will work with G clients but if you want the best range get some N Cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Thanks a million,

Ordered http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322482 and http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=336044

Hope they will do the job

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Keep in mind that it is virtually impossible to predict the performance of wireless equipment in any given situation in advance. Each location is unique.

dub45 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that it is virtually impossible to predict the performance of wireless equipment in any given situation in advance. Each location is unique.

Indeed!

But half the battle I say is buying decent equipment the rest is in the hands of the gods

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Indeed!

But half the battle I say is buying decent equipment the rest is in the hands of the gods

Indeed again, but it is even difficult to get agreement on what is decent equipment. Reading some of the user reviews on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk gives very very different views on some 'decent' equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea voodoo told me to get that dlink one, the distance is good alright, drove down about 30 metres down the road and could still surf youtube on the laptop.
    Althoguth i see you got the usb key.. not too sure how it would be with that, an usb wireless i've used have tended to be **** and dropped connections

Lenny wrote: »
    Yea voodoo told me to get that dlink one, the distance is good alright, drove down about 30 metres down the road and could still surf youtube on the laptop.
    Althoguth i see you got the usb key.. not too sure how it would be with that, an usb wireless i've used have tended to be **** and dropped connections

The problem with USB Wifi dongles are pure and simply the antenna's they are PCB printed, or sometime use a chip antenna and have conservative power outputs as not to overload the receivers, so clean RF environments are essential but each situation is different - placement of those USB one is difficult so getting a USB lead extender to put on top of your desktop or clip it on to the screen of your laptop works wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Yeh it was a bit risky going for the USB one, but the laptop in question doesnt have any card slots free so i'm not sure of any other option than USB

WellyJ wrote: »
    Yeh it was a bit risky going for the USB one, but the laptop in question doesnt have any card slots free so i'm not sure of any other option than USB

I would echo using an extension lead with the usb. I have found this very useful for getting wireless to a pc in an awkward position.

Advertisement