Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmare!!! 12 month accommodation Melbourne :/

Options
  • 16-10-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hello,

Im having an absolute nightmare time trying to get 2 bed accommodation here in Melbourne (looking for 12 month lease). The problem seems to be that i don't have a job at the moment. Myself and my mate just arrived 1 week ago, and our intentions were to get settled in a decent apartment BEFORE applying for work - I was hoping to start looking around mid November, as i want to chillax and explore the place a bit.

We are both Architecture graduates and we are very confident we will find work, however today i got a real kick in the balls after viewing quite a nice 17th floor apartment. The estate agent (Century 21) mentioned that because we are not working, we would have to pay the bond + 3 months rent upfront, AND we should also prove that we have enough funds in our bank account, she mentioned AUS 20k!!! WTF is the story here !??!?

One of the estate agents at Buxton also mentioned that we may be better off finding work before applying, and another estate agent said that we may be able to lease if we show copies of our degrees etc...

Can someone please advise on athe best way to proceed given our situation. Are there better agents to deal with here, or do they all require ridiculous efforts like the one above? We're willing to pay up to $400/week and have spent insane hrs on the net looking for places - we have only inspected 3 properties (loads more this weekend), and will inspect alot more this weekend but im worried it will all be in vain if we have to prove we have $20k, and all the other ridic info they ask for.

My head is melted, I need out of this terrible temp accomm asap!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can hardly blame them, you don't have a job, I know it is a catch 22 situation, but I wouldn't rent out a room in my house (never mind an apartment) if someone didn't have a job (maybe short term, but 12 months no way)

the exact same would apply in Ireland. Squatters have a good deal of rights, (I am not suggesting you wouldn't), i don't think they are being unreasonable at all.
    Just have a look here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394376

so you can hardly blame the company for trying to protect themselves.

My suggestion would be either shorten your time on the lease to 3 months or slum it until you get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Ok, well if it is not very likely - what are the best sites / agents to use in trying to secure a 3month lease of good quality accommodation? At the moment we are paying $440 / week for a complete hole :/ I am really eager to get settled into a nice comfortable environment! Neither of us are cut out for this backpacking malarky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Ok, well if it is not very likely - what are the best sites / agents to use in trying to secure a 3month lease of good quality accommodation? At the moment we are paying $440 / week for a complete hole :/ I am really eager to get settled into a nice comfortable environment! Neither of us are cut out for this backpacking malarky

You can try domain.com.au or gumtree.com.au some places offer leases a lot don't ... or else do a search for furnished apartments, they offer short term leases too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Where in the world would you get a nice apartment, without an income!?! The simple answer is to get a job, you're pretty confident you'll get one and as an architect I imagine that is true in Melbourne. You should have one in 2 weeks there so postpone the house hunt until you get a job, you'd be better off anyway cause you can then find acommodation suitable for your commute to work.

No decent letting agency will let out an apartment to non-working, non citizens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Bear in mind it's very hard to get rental accomodation at the minute in Melbourne. Think of it from the landlord's point of view. He gets 2 applications for a place. 1 of them has a job and the other doesn't. Who is he going to give it to? And most places get at least 4/5 applications.

Just get a job first. Letting agencies love architects. You'll have no bother getting a decent place once you have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

We had the same problem, neither of us were working when we arrived in Melbourne and it took about a month to find a 2 bed 12 month lease house. I started working and the first place we applied for with my newest payslip showing that I was earning money, we got! I would say definitely get a job first. My partner wasn't working but had a few grand in his bank account but I really think it was my payslip that did it for us.

I've also heard that if you offer a bit more than they're asking, it's easier to get one. And AFAIK I don't think they can ask for more than 1 month's rent as a bond, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

I agree with all thats already been mentioned. Melbourne's rental market is very tight at the moment, so best of luck.

Here's something that hasn't been mentioned, and I'm just trying to think outside the square so it might not be what you are after... but have you considered house sitting? Might be an option till you find work and can then look for your own place. Not sure if your lack of employment might be an issue though.

http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/
    (I just googled house sitter, so have no idea if they are any good... and there are many more companies listed.)

:)

Advertisement