Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco store?

Options
  • 16-10-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi just read the advertiser and came across a job advertisement for Tesco's new haedford rd store?? is this just a typo or have they opened a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The Tesco already in town is on Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I might be wrong but there seems to be a Tesco something opening in Sceilig Ard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

aye tis true, a new tesco express near sceilig ard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Jammyd wrote: »
    Hi just read the advertiser and came across a job advertisement for Tesco's new haedford rd store?? is this just a typo or have they opened a new one?

I heard that they are expanding into the ex Atlantic Homeware store behind it, which has been closed for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    I might be wrong but there seems to be a Tesco something opening in Sceilig Ard.

Where's Sceilig Ard?

(And while we're at it, how do I pronounce the Sceilig bit? I'm in favour of looking after the Irish language and all, but really it would be nice to actually be able to say the odd estate name!)

• Advertisement

its out past the roundabout at the marriot.. i think thats the hotel name. nd i think its pronounced ska-lig?

hopefully they put a petrol pump at it.. be so handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h_baby

Yes, it's in that huge building that's been going up for a while, just before the Coral Haven Nursing Home on the hill on the left. The tesco store is on the left of it.

Regarding the Atlantic Homecare building on the headford road that's been closed for a while...... Galway Shopping Centre have just been granted planning to renovate that whole building. It's gonna be 4 stories high........2 levels of shopping and 2 levels of parking. Then when that's completed, they'll be building new apartments in the area which is now parking (yes, at the front). The reason Atlantic Homecare is still closed is because the build will have to be done in sections. They'll do the tesco/atlantic half first, move tenants across and then do the other half.:eek:

The roundabout is going, and they are putting traffic light junction in its place and the entrance to the shopping centre will be further up the Sean Mulvoy Road. I think it's one of them UP/in Down/Out jobbies. As in, a type of flyover to cross the current road.......something like that. Can't remember the terminology.:D

The whole plan is for 5 years though so it'll be a while happening. It took them over 4 years to get the planning through to this stage!:cool:

where's the atlantic homecare building? sound like a crazy plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h_baby

The atlantic homecare building is next to the bowling alley in the Galway shopping Centre. I think the sign is gone now but it was between the bowling area and the Fireplace shop...... It's closed for a few years now though so you'd be forgiven for not knowing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

biko wrote: »
    Tesco Express. It's smaller version of Tesco with most popular products.. something like a'la SPAR, but with Tesco prices. Lots of them in UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

JustMary wrote: »
    And while we're at it, how do I pronounce the Sceilig bit?

Its pronounced Skel-lig.

Sceillig Ard is just above Tirellan Heights, on the Headford Road north of the Ring Road.

I also have it on good authority that Tesco are opening a bigger store in Oranmore, along with Aldi. The site is on the right hand side as you go in from the Orantown Centre side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Bonzodog wrote: »
    Its pronounced Skel-lig.

Sceillig Ard is just above Tirellan Heights, on the Headford Road north of the Ring Road.

I also have it on good authority that Tesco are opening a bigger store in Oranmore, along with Aldi. The site is on the right hand side as you go in from the Orantown Centre side.

It is to be Lidl in oranmore in the new Arrabawn centre out near the Limerick road on site of old dairies and I had also heard that Tesco was to be the anchor in the new town centre being built on that right hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

h_baby wrote: »

The roundabout is going, and they are putting traffic light junction in its place and the entrance to the shopping centre will be further up the Sean Mulvoy Road. I think it's one of them UP/in Down/Out jobbies. As in, a type of flyover to cross the current road.......something like that. Can't remember the terminology.:D

Please tell me you're not making this up. Getting rid of the roundabout of doom would be one of the best decisions the council has ever made...and considering their track record of dimwit decisions, this means a lot!

galah wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not making this up. Getting rid of the roundabout of doom would be one of the best decisions the council has ever made...and considering their track record of dimwit decisions, this means a lot!

There was an article in one of the papers (Advertiser or Galway Indo) last week saying much the same thing. Didn't quite mention the flyover, but did say that the magic round-about was going to be replaced by a series of lights-controlled intersections. I suspect some sort of flyover would need to be part of the mix too.

I've also seen an article that said the council was applying for govt funding for an integrated traffic light system. I'd suspect that it's all part of the same happy plan. It's crazy that the lights aren't integrated already, that alone would make a huge difference to the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Opened today, must pop down for a look. Right around the corner from me so it'll be dead handy. Long hours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Where's Sceilig Ard?

(And while we're at it, how do I pronounce the Sceilig bit? I'm in favour of looking after the Irish language and all, but really it would be nice to actually be able to say the odd estate name!)

It's not really the languages fault that you can't pronounce it.
    If you're in favour of it why don't you learn some of it.

It's pronounced Shkelig Orth in this part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

It's tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

come on now, Sceilig isn't that hard to pronounce. besides, surely you've heard of Sceilig Mhichíl before?

cL0h wrote: »
    It's not really the languages fault that you can't pronounce it.
    If you're in favour of it why don't you learn some of it.

It's pronounced Shkelig Orth in this part of the country.

I've tried, but thanks to the rubbish standard of teaching, I came out of 8 weeks of beginners classes able to pronounce not a lot more than Dia Duit, agus and arus. Got better things to do with my next E100.

I never said it was the language's fault.

I have no problems with the policy of giving all new estates Irish names. I do have a problem with the lack of pronunciation guides to accompany those names. I'm fully aware that not all Irish people pronounce them the same way. And I suspect that the reason you mutter so much when you're speaking the language is because you're not sure how to pronounce things but too scared to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

nd i think its pronounced ska-lig?

"Skeh-lig" would be more accurate... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

"Skeh-lig" would be more accurate... ;)
    aint this a bit off topic????
    whats the store like is it like a miny tescos??
    ill pop in to see it later if i get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm fully aware that not all Irish people pronounce them the same way.

you do realise that not all English is pronounced the same way?

Advertisement