Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

False advertising or honest mistake?

Options
  • 16-10-2008 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

The car in this link is advertised as 24855 miles or 40,000 km.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.6-SUPER/1175562

I went to view it, liked what i saw and put a deposit on it. I happened to take some pics to show the wife what the new-to-be car would be. This morning out of plain boredom went back to my pics and noticed the odometer figure was in miles not km which means 15,000 miles extra on the car that I didn't think of. I feel like I've been done somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thats a bit high considering you can get the following for €7,995 and its a 1.8l

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.8-SUPER/1188478/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

UsedtobePC wrote: »

I went to view it, liked what i saw and put a deposit on it. I happened to take some pics to show the wife what the new-to-be car would be. This morning out of plain boredom went back to my pics and noticed the odometer figure was in miles not km which means 15,000 miles extra on the car that I didn't think of. I feel like I've been done somehow.
    Hmmm. The car was misdescribed in the ad, but it'll be tough to argue that you didn't see the actual mileage when you examined the car prior to handing over a deposit. What mileage is on your copy of the order form?

On a different note, that's an awful lot to be paying for a 2005 Laguna.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Mmmm I not sure if you have any come back as you physically inspected the car and therefore saw the clock for yourself.

If you have changed your mind about the car, you could back to the salesperson asap and tell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The mileage is the least of your worries... I mean, you've just bought a Laguna! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Since the mileage in the ad was wrong i'd ask for my deposit back. Take a screenshot/printout of the ad first tho in case its taken down. At 55k miles it probably puts it close to needing a timing belt change in the near future (Guessing:p).

Also 1.6 is a small engine for that car, GF's da has a 1.8 and its just about manageable. Also your car looks to be very expensive.

Also if you do go through with the sale make sure you get 2 keycards that both work. The keycards on these is a known weak point and cost 225quid form the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

Anan1 wrote: »
    Hmmm. The car was misdescribed in the ad, but it'll be tough to argue that you didn't see the actual mileage when you examined the car prior to handing over a deposit. What mileage is on your copy of the order form?

On a different note, that's an awful lot to be paying for a 2005 Laguna.

I'm not sure about the mileage on the order form. I'll have to wait until i get home to check.

Needless to say, i didn't agree of the full asking price

steve06 wrote: »
    The mileage is the least of your worries... I mean, you've just bought a Laguna! :D

I know, but I already drive one and what can I say... I love them with all their faults and imperfections. They have certain err, how do you say in French: dunno what the fcuk about them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissTF

Hi i know this is not directly related but im looking to sell a 97 fiesta its a nice little car with a long nct but its leaking brake fluid. I want to be completely honest about this when im advertising it as i dont want to mislead anyone but i dont know how to go about it. Anyone know how much this repair might cost so i can take it off the price of the car?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very common for sellers to put the mileage in the KM field on carzone even if the omdometer reads miles.

I also think this is crazy money for a 05 Laguna compared to this 07 one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.6-16v/1063307/

I also know someone who bought a similar spec low mileage 2006 facelifted Laguna for €10k from a non Renault dealer. Facelifted models are also better built and give less trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know, but I already drive one and what can I say... I love them with all their faults and imperfections. They have certain err, how do you say in French: dunno what the fcuk about them. :D

You could probably get a facelifted 05 one for less money. By all accounts they have more or less ironed out all the faults from the pre-facelift, and the front end looks a lot better imo.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.6-16V/1163890/ In fact that one is slightly more and is the facelift. ( i worked up the list rather than down as I figured I'd find a face lifted one quicker, I'm sure there are cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ferris wrote: »
    At 55k miles it probably puts it close to needing a timing belt change in the near future....
    Ah Jebus, read the OP - it's 40,000 miles!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MissTF wrote: »
    Hi i know this is not directly related but im looking to sell a 97 fiesta its a nice little car with a long nct but its leaking brake fluid. I want to be completely honest about this when im advertising it as i dont want to mislead anyone but i dont know how to go about it. Anyone know how much this repair might cost so i can take it off the price of the car?

Thanks

First of all - will you live to sell it ?? :eek: Not trying to be smart or anything, but there's no such thing as a 'small' brake fluid leak. If fluid gets out, air gets in. Air gets in and, well, you can just kiss your brakes goodbye. If unlucky, ifunluckier (?) your car, and worse still your life, right after the car fails to stop at the next junction.

Fix the brakes, End Of Story.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

esel wrote: »
    Ah Jebus, read the OP - it's 40,000 miles!

Advertised at 40k km, was really in miles so add 15k

40000 + 15000 = 55000

Maybe you should read the OP.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

40000 + 15000 = 55000

Maybe you should read the OP.:cool:
    I think the selling garage entered the mileage (in miles) into the mileage (in kms) field. This would mean that the car has 40,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

40000 + 15000 = 55000

ya 55k kms, but you said 55k miles earlier hence the confusion. the point still stands though that it is overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ 40,000 miles = 64,000 km! :D

Not your ornery onager

Mr.David wrote: »
    ya 55k kms, but you said 55k miles earlier hence the confusion. the point still stands though that it is overpriced.

Fair enough lads, picked that up a bit wrong. Time to lay off the coffee:o

Advertisement