Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers allowance payments after leaving country?

Options
  • 16-10-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

If a person is on jobseekers allowance but is moving abroad, does he or she have to sign off at the office or is it acceptable to just not turn up to sign on as usual at the normal sign-on date in the month? I assume the payments would be stopped anyway if they don't sign on but what happens if the payments are still put into their account even though they leave immediately after signing on? Should the person notify the welfare office of this? What sort of trouble could occur if they keep this money that's been put into their account for the weeks after they've signed-on and left the country before the second signing day comes around and the labour find out?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mikey One

i wouldn't be too sure but i'd say if you plan on coming back and would want to go on it again i stop it before i go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Well, you should stop it before you go away. If they find out that you didnt bother stopping it, and just went out of the country, they could mistake you for trying to get away with keeping up your dole payments, and planning on flying home every month to sign on (sounds like too much effort, but its happening!!) To be honest, its unlikely that you would be caught even if you were doing this (there are so many people at it!)If you just dont sign on, you are correct in thinking that your payments will be stopped from your sign on date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

But in the case of an overpayment is it an easy enough procedure to pay back the small amount of money without legal issues? If say we're talking about 300 euros or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I would say so, but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

all wefare forms clearly stated that you must inform your local office before leaving the country. you may leave for a short holiday but you must first call to your local office to sign a form stating the dates you will not be in the country.

also if you do not inform them you be required to pay back payment you revieved while out of the country

you would save you self a lot of hassel by simpl signing off .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

The situation has been sorted out. I'll pay them back the very small sum (a weeks overpaid money) and accept the blame for f@#king up before I left Ireland!

To be honest, if you genuinely mess up with them, and aren't taking the mickey, and want to rectify the issue they're decent enough about it all! Which is surprising since they're generally really rude to claimants. I was only on jobseekers for a short while, even if I had remained in Ireland I would have been only on it for three months or less. Yet I found the staff there to be very patronising.

The sad thing is that once anyone in there learned I had a degree they suddenly became much more friendly (whether they thought I was looking for work or not didn't seem to affect it). They treat you like one of their own when you mention your BA but when they think you're just another working class unemployed man they think they can behave whatever way they like with you. I wonder is this a normal civil servant mindset, a product of dealing with many dodgy claimants or just a normal feature of modern Celtic Tiger Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 keylock000

If a person is on jobseekers allowance but is moving abroad, does he or she have to sign off at the office or is it acceptable to just not turn up to sign on as usual at the normal sign-on date in the month? I assume the payments would be stopped anyway if they don't sign on but what happens if the payments are still put into their account even though they leave immediately after signing on? Should the person notify the welfare office of this? What sort of trouble could occur if they keep this money that's been put into their account for the weeks after they've signed-on and left the country before the second signing day comes around and the labour find out?

Thanks all.
    you should sign off but you may if you're in the EEC still claim for up to three months providing you have already been signing on in the uk and you continue to sign on at the new destination

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

keylock000 wrote: »
    you should sign off but you may if you're in the EEC still claim for up to three months providing you have already been signing on in the uk and you continue to sign on at the new destination

Didnt know that. I suppose then if you actually get a job in the UK for only 3 months you wont be entitled to claim? Thats my situation; 4 months waiting for Jobseekers Allowance to be "processed" and have 3 month contract in UK starting next month.

rinnin wrote: »
    Didnt know that. I suppose then if you actually get a job in the UK for only 3 months you wont be entitled to claim? Thats my situation; 4 months waiting for Jobseekers Allowance to be "processed" and have 3 month contract in UK starting next month.

not too sure how long you need to work but income based job seekers allowance should start following a few(perhaps 12 weeks) weeks of working in the uk and relies on you informing them about where ur going and when so they give you the relvent paperwork to deal with at the other end
    most info is freely available at the jobcentreplus website and it seems we are all one happy little europe : )

keylock000 wrote: »
    not too sure how long you need to work but income based job seekers allowance should start following a few(perhaps 12 weeks) weeks of working in the uk and relies on you informing them about where ur going and when so they give you the relvent paperwork to deal with at the other end
    most info is freely available at the jobcentreplus website and it seems we are all one happy little europe : )

JSA will take approx two to three wks to start paying and can be bakedated to the time of your initial contact with the JCP office where ever you locate in the uk so best to sing on as soon as you know when ur gonna be let go
    some info not so easy to get is that you may need to be singing on for some months before you transfer to another EU country : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rinnin wrote: »
    Thats my situation; 4 months waiting for Jobseekers Allowance to be "processed" and have 3 month contract in UK starting next month.

Er...the money you'll get will be backdated. So you will get ~880x4

eth0_ wrote: »

not sure of how long individual cases take but in general if you sign on in the uk it's normaly two to three weeks from the time you sign on

and the time waiting (ie two to three weeks ) is backdated

i dont know why four months would pass anless theres problems with you not staying in the uk or not working long enough to get income based JSA
    there are two types of JSA one for people who have been on PAYE
    and the other is for self employed (contribution based JSA) and they are trained not to be helpfull but just to deal with the questions that you ask and not offer anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

eth0_ wrote: »

€880x4? Lucky for some. I declared everything in my assessment so will be getting significantly less. :rolleyes:
    But anyway they finally processed my claim and I will be getting it backdated to 17weeks ago. Thank God for that.

Advertisement