Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay - Best Operators

• 16-10-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I'm going back to prepay so just wondering if anyone could help with advice on the best option for me. I wont be using the phone much at all for calls, mostly texts, picture messaging and roaming when needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm going to say 3 as there best for content and you get the most free call credit when you buy a new phone you also get bouns credit when you top up, i.e buy €20 credit get €22....

no doubt someone will disagree with me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any network bar 3 and Tesco - that way you'll get free web texts every month that you can use very cheaply from your phone via the excellent Cabbage java app floating around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm going to say 3 as there best for content and you get the most free call credit when you buy a new phone you also get bouns credit when you top up, i.e buy €20 credit get €22....

no doubt someone will disagree with me:)

well firstly he said nothing about wanting content so let's just not mention it

and secondly, the actual number of euro worth of credit isn't nearly as important as what that credit can be used for.

OP, you can't really go wrong with meteor's offer of €20 a month for free texts to any network and 29c calls anytime. you essentially get 69 minutes and unlimited texts for €20 a month

where would you be roaming to? 3pay allows free roaming in austria, italy, UK, denmark and sweden if that's any interest to you but unless you're abroad very often i wouldn't pick a network just for the few weeks you might be abroad each year. their roaming is very bad unless you're on one of their sister networks.

with meteor, unless you're going to certain countires (mostly EU countries), you have to provide credit card details and top up by €60 before they'll activate roaming. you don't lose the €60, you just have to top up by that much

edit:that cabbage app mentioned by long_b is floating around down there
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thanks for the replies - plenty to think about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

with meteor, unless you're going to certain countires (mostly EU countries), you have to provide credit card details and top up by €60 before they'll activate roaming. you don't lose the €60, you just have to top up by that much

As I understand it though, having paid the €60 with meteor you get a wide range of roaming partners, whereas the O2 and Vodafone prepaid options only work in an limited (but increasing) range of countries. So it depends on whether you expect to roam in distant lands, or not.

would any meteor customers like to comment?

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    As I understand it though, having paid the €60 with meteor you get a wide range of roaming partners, whereas the O2 and Vodafone prepaid options only work in an limited (but increasing) range of countries. So it depends on whether you expect to roam in distant lands, or not.

would any meteor customers like to comment?

no vodafone would have the widest roaming, followed by o2, then meteor, then 3.

and vodafone's would be the cheapest in most places too. with vodafone passport you pay 79c to connect a call then rates are as at home, ie normal call rates and free to receive. passport works in fewer countries on pre pay than bill pay but it's still a lot.

and their 99c a day internet deal works anywhere they have roaming.

no vodafone would have the widest roaming, followed by o2, then meteor, then 3.

Voda bill pay may indeed have the widest roaming, but their prepay has access to some 35 countries or so. The Meteor website and a previous posting here make me think that Meteor prepay customers have access to all of the 133 countries covered by their billpay, if you pay the €60. Am I correct?

no, you're thinking of vodafone passport. Take a look at vodafone world on this page:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/roaming/

it costs more but pre pay customers can still get access to the networks

afaik, meteor don't differentiate between bill pay customers and pre pay customers having access. Most of those deals would have been done before they even had bill pay

I am basing my list on this page
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/roaming/world/select/

which gives EU plus
    Croatia, Turkey, Serbia & Montenegro.
    Australia, Morocco, South Africa, Thailand.
    USA

I see no evidence of Vodafone prepay working in (say) Singapore or Mexico.

ardmacha wrote: »
    I am basing my list on this page
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/roaming/world/select/

which gives EU plus
    Croatia, Turkey, Serbia & Montenegro.
    Australia, Morocco, South Africa, Thailand.
    USA

I see no evidence of Vodafone prepay working in (say) Singapore or Mexico.

ah you see that's the list of vodafone partner networks. if you look at any of the vodafone world zones you'll see two prices, one for the partner networks and one for the rest. not having a partner network in mexico doesn't mean it doesn't work there

look here:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/roaming/world/region5/

it mentions georgia which isn't on the list on the page you linked to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    ah you

it's nice to be back over in the saftey and warmth of Mobiles & PDA's;)

i'm still miffed about the steak....

it's nice to be back over in the saftey and warmth of Mobiles & PDA's;)

i'm still miffed about the steak....

bwaahahahahhahahah, that was my plan all along. meteor provides free steaks for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement