Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble getting up in the mornings

Options
  • 16-10-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty getting up in the mornings. I'd get about 8 hours sleep a night - sometimes more, sometimes less.

I should be getting up for a about 7.15, 7.30 at the very latest, but its more like 7.45 which is too late as I start work for 8.15. I don't leave myself enough time to get ready in the mornings. And as for breakfast i shovel it down. And then I'm rushing out the door.

This has such a knock on effect for the rest of the morning until I get a break sometime around 11. Due to rushing, last week, I drove my car into a pillar in the morning. Its crazy.

I've read in oast threads that this is a common problem. I'm desperate for help.

Has anyone tried those alarm clock lights, where the light comes on and gets brighter and wakes you naturally. Theres one advertised in the argos for 160, and i think its from philips. Do they work. It wasn't half as bad getting up in the summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

you can get alarm clocks that shoot a pin out when they go off and the only way to turn them off is to put the pin back in, also there are sonic bomb alarm clocks with 130 decible alarms, would wake the dead, seen those for sale in the gadget shop in dundrum

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

darling.x wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm having difficulty getting up in the mornings. I'd get about 8 hours sleep a night - sometimes more, sometimes less.

I should be getting up for a about 7.15, 7.30 at the very latest, but its more like 7.45 which is too late I've read in oast threads that this is a common problem.

I ventured in here from another forum and saw this.

Are you for real?

Try putting the alarm forward by 15 minutes.....................then get up!
    It's a no brainer...........put your legs out over the edge of the bed..the rest will follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Op you ll have to be stricter on yourself - get up at a giving time one morning - and again the following and the following - need to build a routine. Probably you dont like your job bed is cosier etc. Welcome to everyone elses world!

Unless you are have other irreagular sleep patterns its pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Every night I set my alarm for 7am and I sleep in until after 8am or until somebody wakes me by shouting at me (if there's someone to wake me, that is). I regularly change my alarm tone to SURPRISE myself in he mornimg with a strange sound but it never works :( I also have it right beside my head on the pillow!

The ONLY thing that works is getting to bed AND to sleep an extra hour earlier. When I go to bed at 9:30 r 10:00, I'm up early and raring to go and feeling ALIVE right on time! But I rarely get to bed that early, it's usually after 12 and so I sleep in, day in day out and NO alarm clock can wake me :(

My friend once had to pour water in my mouth until I almost choked as she'd tried several attempts at shoutig in my ears, slapping my face, pulling the covers off me, and I was dead to the world.....until I almost choked on the water and sat up straight away......it's nice to sleep deeply when you do sleep, but I wish I could waken easily :(

As far as I know, some people need more sleep than others, so maybe you need slightly more than the 8 hours you are getting, try it, just half an hour more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

well you can't keep that sort of thing up if you are crashing your car, you need to change your lifestyle to get to bed at the right time if thats what you need in order to get up in time. That or a new job with a later start.

• Advertisement

you jus have to change lifestyle and go to bed earlier... i used to goto bed round 3 or 4 during college for 3 years. started working during summer and now i goto bed round half 10. it's just something that has to be done. i'm awake since 8am today cause of the routine i'm in now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Miacc

Op, what time do you go to bed at?

I do the same thing in the mornings, not giving myself enough time. when you're in bed still tired you just dont see things clearly and start sacrificing breakfast etc for another 5 mins of distraught sleep! ...

1. Go to bed at a reasonable time if possible (if you're not tired and cant sleep early the only way to change your routine is to force yourself to get up early a few mornings no matter how tired, do this and you'll start to be tired earlier at night).
    2. Get a routine going (as unappealing as this sounds). Don't start doing things late at night or leaving all your organising until late.

...but you have to ask yourself whether you really want to change this. There may be other reasons you find it to get up in the morning that you could think about, how you feel about your job, whether you're eating properly, getting enough activity during the day to be tired and all that sort of thing.
    Some of this advice may not be relevant so obviously just ignore if it isn't, Just that your situation reminds me of my own, although I'm getting a bit better now. I sympathise about the car (did something similar myself, due to rushing to work last yr, it's a horrible feeling being that wrecked in the mronings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I feel your pain, when I was in school I used to get up at 8.20, I got around the same hours of sleep, 7-8 but I was still fairly tired all the time. People said I looked stoned. Worked for a while this year getting up at 7.10 and couldn't take it, I kinda drew the line at feeling really sick/ having a constant mild headache, seeing everything in grainy vision and hallucinating on one occasion (I saw a non existent fly in the middle of February). Personally I changed job and that was the best solution for me as I function best in the afternoon/evening/night. But any time before 10.00 and I'm cognitively slumped like today, had to get up at 8.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

stop smokin weed before u go to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tilly55

I have serious trouble getting up in the morning too. I wake up when my alarm goes off but can't face actually getting out of bed. I usually put the telly on straight away coz the noise will stop me from drifting off to sleep again. Why don't you listen to the 2FM breakfast show or Ireland AM to get u up and moving??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 carlrac

On the subject of alarm clocks, you can get one in Arnotts that makes you solve a puzzle before it stops beeping. Only catch is it's made by Mensa so it could take you until your break to turn off :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Get one of those old school alarm clocks with the bells on it!

Put it into a tin box and place in the corner of the room! Guaranteed to wake the dead!

Even a normal alarm clock place in the corner of the room away from arm reach will force you too get out of bed! Once your out of bed it is have the battle over with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tilly55

Turn on the light as soon as possible , sert a couple of alarms on your phone. Noise i feel is the key!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 McSeamus ORiley

Try practicing getting up during the day, it worked for me. :pac:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I heard of an alarm on wheels that you leave on your bedroom floor. It has an off button and a snooze button. If you press the off button, all is well but if you press snooze it takes off racing around your room and basically trashes the place. Extreme, but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

When you wake up, don't lie in bed wishing you could stay asleep for longer, just quickly hop out before you have time to think about it. and maybe put your alarm clock on he other side of the room

Advertisement