Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanton Destruction of Methodist Church on Jones Road!!!

Options
  • 16-10-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

I just heard that an old Methodist church was partially demolished illegally yesterday on Jones Road. there is a photograph on this link.

Words can't describe how I how feel,sad, sick, disgusted with this wanton destruction of our own Irish heritage.

Is this what we have become!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=7193

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The ****in state of it too.Whoever drove that jcb knew exactly nothing about demolition or he wouldnt have risked bringing the whole thing down on his head.
    As for the "developer"..**** him in jail..a million euro worth of criminal damage should be the charge.
    These people are getting away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I know what I would like to do to the person behind it but modesty prevents me from putting it into words.
    I'm ashamed to say that I am Irish. Imagine this happening in Rome!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

****in disgraceful!!! Bunch of mindless idiots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think DCC must explain why it wasn't 'listed'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Saw this on the news and agree with Degsy, it was highly dangerous the way it was demolished. I dont know the building but its a disgrace that there was even the potential for this to happen, should have been a listed building a long time ago.

Any news of what type of punishment can be handed out (if any)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sorry to being up an old thread but whatever happened with this? Did the developer face charges, was the church rebuilt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Another example of why the word "developer" is an oxymoron.

Sorry to being up an old thread but whatever happened with this? Did the developer face charges, was the church rebuilt?

I actually was down that way about 3 weeks ago and took a ramble past to have a quick look. The gaping hole has been boarded up and I'm sure supports have been put in place to protect the structure.

There was Dublin City Council notices up on the outside warning the "owners" not to go near the building :rolleyes:
    I don't know if the person responsible faced charges though. I'm pretty sure they will get off scott free.

I've added a few photos of the church which I took after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well done to the developer who smashed into the church, he got no gain from it at all. Now all that's left is a dangerous eyesore of what was once a beautiful building. Fair play, I hope you are bankrupt you greedy prick.

• Advertisement

I think this particular incident in Dublin shows the true face of "The Celtic Tiger".
    If anybody had gone over to see the church in the days after, your stomach would have churned. It was a really sickening sight to see this lovely piece of Irish built heritage attacked in such a crude fashion :(

I saw many more similar incidents down the country over the last few years and I'm sure someday a book will be written!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Pity that developer wouldn't go to town on some of the ugly churches built around this country over the last century..... or the churches that harboured such heinous crimes perpetrated against the youth of this country. At least get some good use out of that JCB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Effects wrote: »

Effects : Did you take these photos or somebodyelse?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I took them. Went in a few weeks back to have a look around and came back with my camera and tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The architects over at archiseek may know more...tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

for a second there i thought ths thread was about me

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CitizenD

'John Healy told the Western People paperwork for the demolition of the 120-year-old Methodist Church on Dublin’s Jones Road was in order before it was knocked earlier this month.... Mr Healy, who runs a supermarket in Barnatra, bought the building as an investment with others almost two years ago. The investors planned to turn the old church into apartments and a commercial unit.'
    - The Western People, Wednesday, November 05, 2008, "Erris man in row over Dublin demolition" by Marian Harrison (http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=eycwkfmhsn)

Article does not say who was actually driving the JCB when the physical attack occurred though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clonliffe Resident

Has anyone heard anything about this recently? It's absolutely heart breaking, and infuriating, to see such a beautiful building go to ruin like this.

Why wasn't it listed in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Please dont drag up old threads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement