Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Account

Options
  • 16-10-2008 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, we've just moved into a new place, we got the line set up with eircom and ordered broadband from them also (we got the router and got online 2 days ago) I was wondering what the policy is on canceling broadband with them? is there some sort of cooling off period or something? we haven't signed anything yet....

I'm asking this cos our connection is bloody useless so far, far worse than our last 2 connections (we were with Smart Telecom both times) we're in a strong signal area so that can't be used a an excuse.

We're supposedly on 7.6mb but you'd never guess from looking at speedtests

Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi, we've just moved into a new place, we got the line set up with eircom and ordered broadband from them also (we got the router and got online 2 days ago) I was wondering what the policy is on canceling broadband with them? is there some sort of cooling off period or something? we haven't signed anything yet....

I'm asking this cos our connection is bloody useless so far, far worse than our last 2 connections (we were with Smart Telecom both times) we're in a strong signal area so that can't be used a an excuse.

We're supposedly on 7.6mb but you'd never guess from looking at speedtests

Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers! :)

Could you provide your line stats please? You line may not be capable of the speed you are on. There is no such thing as a strong signal area for dsl. Your line is unique irrespective of the area you are in.

Are you using wireless for your speed tests or are you directly connected to your modem/router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Everything is hooked up via wires. I'll check out the stats now and post back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is a cooling off period, however, since you have the broadband now, the cooling off period has probably expired. The way it normally works is that after you order, you're given 7 days to cancel the order, before they put the broadband in place. After this, they go ahead and enable the line, and you're done. Cooling off does not normally apply after you are availing of a service.

They should have mentioned this period when you were ordering, and possibly ask you to waive it (in order to speed up the process), otherwise they probably wouldn't start processing the application until after the cooling off period had expired.

The 7.6M is causing problems for some people, because the line isn't able to handle it. You'll need to check your line stats, and your line may only be able to support 1M, 2M or 3M. If this is the case, you should downgrade, and eircom should not charge you for this.

You'll need to get on to Tech Support to do the downgrade, but if you can check your SNR and Attenuation stats and post them here, somebody will be able to give you an indication of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hi, piggybacking on this thread as don't want to clog up the board - got 7.6mb eircom installed last week, phone line was actually installed only day before! Full line work had to be done as no connection at address before.

Anyway, I got the basic settings and had my own router so left it hooked up and next day I got a connection.
    Haven't had formal notice of it being enabled buit i have it.
    First few days, router showed connection as 7588 or something like but download was always between 300kbps-3mb depending on time of day.

Now router says download speed 5120kbps but I'm still struggling between 300-3mb, it's currently at about 1.5mb

Here's my line stats, is there no way I can achieve 7.6 or 6 or 5? Can i downgrade free of charge to get a stable contsatnt speed or should I wait for the eircom supplied router? I intend to phone tomorrow.
    Current connection is wired to a Netgear dg834g which was a great servant when I had my 7mb Smart connection.

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 5120 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 42 db 13 db
    Noise Margin 11 db 17 db

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hi Guys, I have the following:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 27.40 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

I have applied to be upgraded to 7mb. What is the best this line get from that?

• Advertisement

Here's some line info anyway (not sure if this is what was required)

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 512
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.00 23.00
    CRC Errors 243 3

VPI / VCI 8/35
    Protocol PPP over Ethernet LLC/SNAP

In Octets 25793296
    In Errors 0
    In Unicast Packets 33349
    In Non Unicast Packets 0
    In Discard Packets 0

Out Octets 5312865
    Out Errors 0
    Out Unicast Packets 29207
    Out Non Unicast Packets 0
    Out Discard Packets 0

In Good Frames 1421281
    In Packets 1421281
    In Unicast Frames 1342979
    In Multicast Frames 1288
    In Discard Frames 0

Out Good Frames 1340748
    Out Packets 1340751
    Out Unicast Frames 1339350
    Out Multicast Frames 868
    Out Discard Frames 3

Anything out of the ordinary?

Here's some line info anyway (not sure if this is what was required)

CRC Errors 243 3

Anything out of the ordinary?

Unfortunately your SN margin is pretty dire.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

CRC Errors 243 3
    Try plugging everything out (phones, line extensions, sky boxes) and plugging router into main socket, if its doesn't improve much you are basically boned. At that attenuation and noise margin you are at your current max at 5.1mbit and will have a lot of disconnects. If plugging everything out doesn't improve it you might want to think about downgrading to have more stability.

Thanks for the replies guys. I still don't know what their policy is on cancellation of broadband service, can anyone help me out on this with a definite answer? We haven't signed the form for telephone services yet (phone was activated 10 days ago now) broadband was only activated 5 days ago. We want to sign up with Smart Telecom as they are just way better in our experience.

Thanks for the replies guys. I still don't know what their policy is on cancellation of broadband service, can anyone help me out on this with a definite answer? We haven't signed the form for telephone services yet (phone was activated 10 days ago now) broadband was only activated 5 days ago. We want to sign up with Smart Telecom as they are just way better in our experience.

This link may be useful to you: (Google can be wonderful)

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/FAQs/Online_shopping/6_The_cooling-off_period.html

Comreg may be helpful (I know its a big may) in explaining how this may apply to the provision of broadband.

In terms of switching to Smart I would not be over optimistic that your service will improve dramatically given that your problem would seem to be your line quality. Even adsl2 can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    I am with Smart and I have a bad line so I know what I am talking about.

If you end up being stuck with Eircom for the minimum six months then your best bet would be to drop down the speed and this should improve your sn margin significantly

• Advertisement
Advertisement