Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera got stolen

• 16-10-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

:( So worst case possible scenario ! Robbed from the house, broke in through the window, only a 40D, still i payed over 1k for it, further more here i was ordering strobes etc , i didnt even use it AT ALL.
    If anyone see's one being sold hola !!!

anyway so not looking for a sympathy vote, but i guess time to get a replacement. How much re 40D's now? they took my 50mm too.

imagine if it was a 5D MK2 lol?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

That's terrible! I hope things get sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Aww that's ****, something similar happened to our house a few years ago, nothing worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Awh crap.

Keep an eye on Bye & Sell... Do you have the serial numbers taken down?

Will house insurance cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I hope you have serial number of the camera and lens(es) written down to hunt down the b@stards!

Sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im not sure if i do, but fat chance of getting it back at all !!!!
    no insurance, i just moved to grand canal dock ! its suppose to be safe there !

Should i go for 40d again? i could stretch to the new 5D but sheessh will get robbed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just make sure you can't find any of the serials around. Ring up the Camera Exchange, Conns and Birminghams with them if you can find them... no harm in not doing it...

Stretch for the new 5D I say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Crap :( Really sorry to hear that. It was terrifying me every time I left the house with the 5D inside...

I finally got insurance sorted there a while back - got contents only and asked them to put 6 grand unspecified all-risks on it. It cost me an extra 60 quid I think, and now if I go out and drop the whole kit in a puddle I know (in theory anyway) it'll be ok. Not to make you feel worse, but just a suggestion for next time.

Again, really sorry. Feckin nightmare...

...runs off to take down lens serials...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Where did you buy the 40D?

If it was a retailer then they should have recorded the serial numbers for the warranty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

On the bright side I suspect you have more expensive lenses than the 50mm that got nicked with it. :o

Blues, though.

Anything dodgy on the card? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

sineadw wrote: »
    Crap :( Really sorry to hear that. It was terrifying me every time I left the house with the 5D inside...

I finally got insurance sorted there a while back - got contents only and asked them to put 6 grand unspecified all-risks on it. It cost me an extra 60 quid I think, and now if I go out and drop the whole kit in a puddle I know (in theory anyway) it'll be ok. Not to make you feel worse, but just a suggestion for next time.

Again, really sorry. Feckin nightmare...

...runs off to take down lens serials...

Sorry for the off topic, but when mentioning extra contents like this with the house insurance company, does that include when you loose your camera when you're away from the house? It might sound stupid, but they may list all your extras and cover them for cases like above only, when the house is broken into.

• Advertisement

i thought they just took the 50mm but they reached up and took the 17-85mm lens too excellent.

actually took loads of other things aswell. :rolleyes:

someone post me some ebay links so i can order a cam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭labbad

Total disaster sorry to hear your news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sorry to hear it. Same thing went on in Waterford on Friday a while back. Calling to doors 'to cut your grass' if you were in. Robbed the house blind if you weren't. Targetted houses ONLY with uPVC doors. Apparently if they're not double-locked they're easy pickings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

You should be able to get your serial number from the exif data in your
    photos.

I have always thought about this happening and was wondering
    about sites like flickr (which have the exif data on the site), if you could
    search their database via camera serial number.

In that way you might be able to find someone using your camera
    posting the photos online as it is very likely that the eventual
    owner will put them up somewhere.

A stretch maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Placebo wrote: »
    i thought they just took the 50mm but they reached up and took the 17-85mm lens too excellent.

actually took loads of other things aswell. :rolleyes:

someone post me some ebay links so i can order a cam :(

Placebo,
    Very sorry to hear that your 40D was nicked.Give Ian a shout at KERSO1123@msn.com He sent me his pricelist yesterday and i was blown away by it.He's even cheaper than USA...;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sorry to hear man, may I suggest keaphoto, drop albert a e-mail and he'll likely get the camera your looking for...prices are pretty good and he'll mark the item as gift etc :)

http://myworld.ebay.com/kea-photo/

Biro wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic, but when mentioning extra contents like this with the house insurance company, does that include when you loose your camera when you're away from the house? It might sound stupid, but they may list all your extras and cover them for cases like above only, when the house is broken into.

Nope - its all risks, so outside the house too. And I didn't have to specify objects as nothing was worth over 2.5k (I think?) individually..

Ah that's crap about the extra stuff Placebo. I hope you can get the serials - you never know. You might get offered a chance to buy them back dirt cheap. ****ty I know, but I know someone who got a 3 grand guitar back that way that he hadn't a hope of retrieving otherwise.

Feel awful for you.

some reason keaphoto has nothing up.

5D is retailing for 1.2k GBP on jessops, just for the body. Is this a reasonable price? didnt really drop after mk2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

1.2K seems to be about the average on pricebuster.

Hard luck on the camera. But don't buy it back if offered and what ever you do don't offer to not press charges/report them as well. Tell the Gardai and let them sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sbkenn

It's probably a bit late, but some creditcard providers include insurance for a limited time after purchase.

• Advertisement

this has happened again, i had a party and some one took it from my room.
    what an absolute disgrace.

anyway any suggestions for next one? dont think kea stocks 40d's anymore?
    how much a 40d be these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You should really keep an eye on your gear better :pac:

If it's all insured why don't you put a bit of cash in and upgrade to something better?

oh no insurance what so ever. i dont learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

photoshield all the way my friend, learn from your bad luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

That is really mean.

I got my Canon Digital Rebel from Viking Direct. I can't find the link for the Irish branch, but this might be of use.

http://reviews.pricegrabber.co.uk/digital/m/33258470/expert/

Now I know why Cartier Bresson used keep his camera locked in a safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

photoshield all the way my friend, learn from your bad luck!

There's no point paying a stupid price for that when you can get it covered by your home insurance,Some how!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pretty nasty for somebody to nick it at a party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Just dropped you a PM - sorry to hear thievin' scumb@gs are the worst.

anyone know where i can buy 40d ? preferably online so its cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Ricky91t wrote: »
    You should really keep an eye on your gear better :pac:

If it's all insured why don't you put a bit of cash in and upgrade to something better?

Even if it was it would have to be like for like as far as I know.

You should definitely give the insurance company a call. Mine was included for free, all I had to to was name the gear out to the insurance company.

just an update
    a friend of a friend came over 2 weeks ago and realized he had been there before and recalled that he was there when my camera was stolen and he knew who it was.

Anyway long story short he got the camera back off the eejit, and gave it back to me. The camera stayed unused as i had taken the battery out and the guy was looking to sell it for 150

so i got my camera back, un-used after 4 months !
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

just an update
    a friend of a friend came over 2 weeks ago and realized he had been there before and recalled that he was there when my camera was stolen and he knew who it was.

Anyway long story short he got the camera back off the eejit, and gave it back to me. The camera stayed unused as i had taken the battery out and the guy was looking to sell it for 150

What a prick.

Congrats on getting your gear back though, I'd imagine it's quite a relief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

just an update

Thats just made for the best reading. you should check out the laptop safes in argos or homebase there around €70 and they hold a fair bit for the size of them. Mine is able to keep a d300 with grip, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 50mm, 10-20mm, 16mm fisheye, sb800, laptop and quantum battery pack no problems. better then leaving them on a shelf.

Congrats about getting the camera back must be delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Congrats!

thanks guys actually i think i replied to the wrong thread.

actually my 40d was stolen once in 2008, never got that back but i got another one and that was stolen 4 months ago from a party i had,

thats the one i got back,
    anyway slight relief, but im way off digital at this stage :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

thanks guys actually i think i replied to the wrong thread.

actually my 40d was stolen once in 2008, never got that back but i got another one and that was stolen 4 months ago from a party i had,

thats the one i got back,
    anyway slight relief, but im way off digital at this stage :o
    You need to buy a safe, as suggested above, especially if you're not getting home/contents insurance.

Ah nice one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Shiny wrote: »
    You should be able to get your serial number from the exif data in your
    photos.

I have always thought about this happening and was wondering
    about sites like flickr (which have the exif data on the site), if you could
    search their database via camera serial number.

In that way you might be able to find someone using your camera
    posting the photos online as it is very likely that the eventual
    owner will put them up somewhere.

A stretch maybe ?

I'd feel sorry for the guy who bought the stolen camera. what happens in that case, do you give the camera back to the original owner and take the hit yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'd feel sorry for the guy who bought the stolen camera. what happens in that case, do you give the camera back to the original owner and take the hit yourself?

You wouldn't have much choice unless you wanted to get done for handling stolen property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Shoot the F*ckers that nicked it! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement