Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke and bloody hungry

Options
  • 16-10-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Waiting for the grant cheque to arrive, I find myslef with about a five euro budget for food per week. So I had to make fcuk pot (for those unfamiliar with the concept, you see what's in the press and **** it into a pot and see what happens), the results of this can range from disastrous to delicious, but last night I ended up with a delicious thing!

Red lentils, soak and cook as normal
    Near the end of cooking the lentils, add in a fair amount of sesame seeds, toast them if you want
    Creamed coconut, I used about 25g, crumbled in at the same time as the lentils. Stir around til it melts in

When funds permit I plan to experiment with a bit of chilli or lemon rind, and maybe mixing them with breadcrumbs or oatflakes and making burgers. Anyways, just as it is it's at the very least a good dose of protein and goodfats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

€5 a week, that's rough... but a good idea for thinking about cheapo veggie stuff.

I like frying chickpeas sometimes and having them with rice (cooked in the one pot). If you use this as a base you can add in some other stuff, I know peppers are a bit expensive these days, but you could add onions I suppose, at the very least. Plus the unused chickpeas and rice will keep for a long time.

Advertisement