Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buger Recipe

• 16-10-2008 3:35pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new burger recipe.

Usually I just buy some mince, chop some shallots and add some herbs, garlic, and a beaten egg and voila !
    I can usually get away without breadcrumbs but sometimes they're needed as the mixture gets too runny.

I wouldn't mind trying something new though. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mozzarella Burgers - these are very yummy :)

500g lean minced beef
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    1 red onion, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    50g fresh white breadcrumbs
    1 medium egg, beaten
    15ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
    6 slices of mozzarella cheese

Mix the beef, basil, onion and garlic together - with a fork or in a food processor. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, vinegar and plenty of salt and black pepper. Mix well and if you're not using a food processor just get in there with your hands.
    Divide the mixture into 6 pieces and roll each into a ball.
    Press a slice of mozzarella into each one, then reshape the the mince to cover the cheese. Flatten each ball into a burger shape. Cover and chiill for at least an hour before cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lots of fresh parsley, grated garlic, finely chopped onions, parmesan (sometimes) salt & pepper.

Egg & breadcrumbs depend on the mince really.

Nothing revolutionary - I think, why mess with a classic?

Same recipe for meatballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I like to add a good shake of ground cumin and another of cumin seeds to the mince, garlic and onions. Serve these in round pitta breads rather than buns, with a generous drizzle of natural yoghurt. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

add 2 teaspoons of pesto to the mince, shallot, egg

Or 2 tsps of Wholegrain mustard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

just made this last night, nicest burger ever.

mince
    chopped onion
    tomato ketchup
    worcestershire sauce
    ground cumin and corriander
    fresh corriander

just mix all together with salt and pepper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Finely chop some streaky bacon and add that to the mix.

Similar to dizzyblonde's suggestion, you can build the burger around a chunk of cheeddar or, well, pretty-much anything (Blue cheese could be awesome here, if its to your taste).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Buger recipe... hehehe.

Sorry, I'm tired.

I usually just use lean mince, finely chopped onion, garlic, salt, pepper, egg and breadcrumbs. I mix some kind of cheese in if I feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The one Jamie Oliver recipe that I regularly use:

Mince, red onion, cumin, coriander, breadcrumb, egg, salt and pepper.

Sometimes I substitute the bread crumbs with rusk, which I have for sausage making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Grated ginger gives burgers a real unexpected 'zing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i usually sautee shallots till they're golden brown, let them cool then mix them in with the meat with a bit of ketchup, dijon mustard, worcester sauce, herbes de provence, a tiny bit of tabasco, egg yolk, spoon of olive oil and some coriander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

dijon mustard

That rings a bell; I suspect I left it out of my recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

noby wrote: »
    That rings a bell; I suspect I left it out of my recipe.

Yeah - jamie's recipe (or at least one of them) uses a good dollop of mustard. I have a sneaking suspicion he may also use a splash of worcestershire sauce.

For his Botham Burgers he also suggests variations of chopping some bacon or some gerkhin into the mix, if memory serves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This stuff here, Northwoods Fire Seasoning, goes fantastic with burgers:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysnorthwoodsfire.html

I usually mix a load of it in with the mince mix with onions and a bit of garlic and then srinkle some on the top when it's close to ready. I'd never use eggs in my burgers, I find it ruins them. If you pack the mince well enough there is no need for it. I've tried the northwoods fire burgers on a george foreman and it kind of ruins the flavour. On a grill and BBQ they are lovely and spicy. Not sure if you can get it here, one of my friends usually brings me some back from the states every so often.

It also tastes gorgreous on sausages, just sprinkle some on for the last 5 mins of grilling, really helps me cut down on salt uptake as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

170 g bacon strips, diced
    100 g sliced fresh mushrooms
    3 thin slices onion
    1 egg, beaten
    15 ml Worcestershire sauce
    3 g salt
    3 g pepper
    3 ml prepared horseradish
    455 g ground beef
    3 slices of cheese
    3 hamburger buns, split

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon; add bacon. In another bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and horseradish; add beef and mix well. Shape into six 1/4-in.-thick patties. Divide bacon mixture among three patties. top with a cheese slice; fold in corners of cheese. Top with remaining patties; seal edges. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 10-12 minutes or until meat juices run clear, turning once. Serve on buns.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Claire1980

My friend once made a burger recipe that she got from a jamie oliver book - it was amazing - google it !

Advertisement