Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a cheap family car ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have the Mondeo TBH, the Primera is a bit too French for my liking, and I've seen enough of them needing gearboxes not to want one too badly, the Mondeo Zetec also has a more powerful engine than the LX models, has all the toys, and Mondeos drive rather nicely too.

That said you're talking 1.8 minimum, and for that engine size, I'd rather an Accord

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think too many on here would choose the Primera over the Mondeo to be honest.

Make sure the Mondeo is the Zetec model though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

loads on cbg.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

and carzone.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/results?nParam=4294910410&sortby=Make|0

Lovely family car (not really cheap), but dependable, has plenty of boot space.

2005 is the oldest you'll get, they only came out then, and if you decide to add to the family, you have 6 seats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RAFC wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/results?nParam=4294910410&sortby=Make|0

Lovely family car (not really cheap), but dependable, has plenty of boot space.

2005 is the oldest you'll get, they only came out then, and if you decide to add to the family, you have 6 seats :)

Now to find one for 3-4 K...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did anyone see the bit where the OP was looking for a reliable car, I'm seeing suggestions of Scenics and 406s. neither are a paragon of build quality or reliability.

oh puhleez, Mk1 and facelift Scenic's go huge mileages, are simple to maintain and at this stage of their life - are cheap as chips. The are superemely comfortable to drive, from a control and position point of view, have an enormous boot, esp with those foldable/removable seats.

Interior is particularly hard-wearing, with easy to clean seats (handy when you've got little 'uns........)

The 16v 1.4, with 95bhp, is a gem. Only issue of note is ign coils, now available on eBay for.......peanuts. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to tax/insure.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote: »
    oh puhleez, Mk1 and facelift Scenic's go huge mileages, are simple to maintain and at this stage of their life - are cheap as chips. The are superemely comfortable to drive, from a control and position point of view, have an enormous boot, esp with those foldable/removable seats.

Interior is particularly hard-wearing, with easy to clean seats (handy when you've got little 'uns........)

The 16v 1.4, with 95bhp, is a gem. Only issue of note is ign coils, now available on eBay for.......peanuts. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to tax/insure.

The missus last car was a 1.4 Mk1 facelift Scenic. Was 100% the whoel time we had it. She really loved it and have to say as a family car it was great. Only got moved on because whe wanted the Mk2 Scenic so it was replaced with a 1.6 grand Scenic which she loves even more.

Another cheapie, but a goodie, Citroen Xsara. I know someone who picked up a mint 00 one for.........1500? Not high tech, but that's not a bad thing, either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

In that case, a Fiat Multipla would do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    In that case, a Fiat Multipla would do nicely.

Too many people stupidly write them off because of looks though.

they're actually a hoot to drive, and the JTD is a peach for a car that age.

Like an olden day FR-V!

Still wouldn't buy one though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

How about Citroen Xsara Picasso? If you want headroom, its great. Very versatile car.

Indeed ColmMc, Dilbert - both cars greatest handicaps are....their looks !

Which is good, as we're all as vain as hell, so they have no value !!

Now, consider all the good-looking cars.........that don't work half as well !! That's a much longer list !!

Looking outside the box - or for a 'box' :D - could pay dividends.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Stekelly wrote: »
    Too many people stupidly write them off because of looks though.

LOL - just looked this up.

Couldn''t go there - even if I were out foreign where nobody new me.

I've an offer of a bargain basement Mondeo - 100K on it for 1,500.
    Is that savage mileage for a Mondeo ?

Your continued help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

long_b wrote: »

I've an offer of a bargain basement Mondeo - 100K on it for 1,500.
    Is that savage mileage for a Mondeo ?

Your continued help is much appreciated.

Depends - what year is it? Is there a service history? How comprehensive is it? What engine is it?

And the winner is -this Mondeo

A bit over the stated budget I know but there was a decent reduction for cash :)

Thanks again to all for their advice.

That's me for a few years now hopefully !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best of luck with it. How much did it cost you in the end if you don't mind me asking?

The reason I ask is that I think the sticker price of €5,500 for a 01 Mondeo is comical irrespective of very low mileage or condition.

PM sent.

I'll post the proper price when it's mine :D

I quick look on cbg.ie is showing that the average sticker price is about 4950 for this an 01 Mondeo - what with the warranty and all I think it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Great cars. Easily the best in their class in my experience and I've had two. ( I've also had a primera, an A4 and a passat)
    100,000 on a mondeo is nothing providing its been serviced properly.
    Best of luck with yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mondeos are great cars, and well priced, engines don't all of a sudden stop working because they've hit 100k(which a lot of people in this country think happens), if anything there should be another 100k if the Mondeo is looked after.

E92 wrote: »
    Mondeos are great cars, and well priced, engines don't all of a sudden stop working because they've hit 100k(which a lot of people in this country think happens), if anything there should be another 100k if the Mondeo is looked after.

The one the OP bought only has something like 26k on it, so no worries in that dept!

Picked it up yesterday - a big step up from my '96 Polo :)

The 100K Mondeo is still available for €1500 in Kildare.
    [url]Http://www.tmaloneycarsales.ie[/url]

Thanks again for the advice peeps.

Advertisement