Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating my front door?

Options
  • 16-10-2008 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a chalet, and the front door has a gap of about 2mm between the door and the frame. As it's getting cold now, I was wondering if there's any use in sticking 1 or 2mm of some fabric or material around the edge of the door to keep the place warmer?

If so, what material should I use?

Thanks,
    Merlin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

merlin_bar wrote: »
    I'm renting a chalet, and the front door has a gap of about 2mm between the door and the frame. As it's getting cold now, I was wondering if there's any use in sticking 1 or 2mm of some fabric or material around the edge of the door to keep the place warmer?

If so, what material should I use?

Thanks,
    Merlin

yes there is two types of common draft excluder product you can choose from.

There is a foam strip that as self adhesive and sticks to your door frame.

or there is a brass screw on bar with a rubber gasket that is fitted to the inside of your door. This one is a little more expensive and a little harder to fit, but it is a beter job.

You can also get a draft excluder for the bottom of the door and your letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Good advice above but if you are just renting, then a cheap traditional solution is - a heavy lined Curtain!
    You can also take it with you when you move.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

RKQ wrote: »
    Good advice above but if you are just renting, then a cheap traditional solution is - a heavy lined Curtain!
    You can also take it with you when you move.:)
    Great advice to any house.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks folks. Other suggestions I've been given are a thing called "E-Strip", which is available in Atlantic Homecare as well as just the regular rubber seal around the door frame.

The E-Strip apparently gets attached to the sides of the door and door frame and is very effective. My previous landlord told me about this one.

The regular rubber insluation is fitted just inside the door frame, so the front of the door is flush with the rubber. This is on the door already but had been varnished over so probably wasn't very effective.

I might just go for the curtain though, if he allows me. The door itself isn't very protective from the elements I think. The only problem is that the walls seem to be very chalk like so I'm not sure if they'll support a curtain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

merlin_bar wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Other suggestions I've been given are a thing called "E-Strip", which is available in Atlantic Homecare as well as just the regular rubber seal around the door frame.

The E-Strip apparently gets attached to the sides of the door and door frame and is very effective. My previous landlord told me about this one.

The regular rubber insluation is fitted just inside the door frame, so the front of the door is flush with the rubber. This is on the door already but had been varnished over so probably wasn't very effective.

I might just go for the curtain though, if he allows me. The door itself isn't very protective from the elements I think. The only problem is that the walls seem to be very chalk like so I'm not sure if they'll support a curtain!

the self adhesive foam strip costs under a tenner. In fact I seen it for sale for less last week in Lidl.

If you have a big curtain then go for it . Hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks gsxr1, I'll do both!

Advertisement