Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Clancy's Endwar Demo (SP&MP)

• 16-10-2008 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭

I see a new demo is up on Live for Endwar, one level/map for both single and
    multiplayer. It's weighing in at 1.6 GB.

Has anyone downloaded it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I see a new demo is up on Live for Endwar, one level/map for both single and
    multiplayer. It's weighing in at 1.6 GB.

Has anyone downloaded it yet?

Ya, I did. Played both the skirmish and the single player mission -same map- and promptly deleted it.

What it boils down to is you directing your forces primarily via your headset. This involves training the game to recognize your voice and takes about 5 minutes. You spend the whole time pushing the camera around with your left stick and barking orders such as UNIT 1 ENGAGE HOSTEL 4. And that's pretty much it. There was no one at home and I still felt like a right tit.

The problem with the control method is it that it 'removes' you from the game. There is very little sense of the player having any impact on the game. It left me cold.

Both missions can be completed in 5 minutes. Wasn't that impressed with the graphics either. To be fair, the voice recognition performed almost flawlessly, responding immediately to my natural speech patterns. Certainly wasn't worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ya, I did. Played both the skirmish and the single player mission -same map- and promptly deleted it.

What it boils down to is you directing your forces primarily via your headset. This involves training the game to recognize your voice and takes about 5 minutes. You spend the whole time pushing the camera around with your left stick and barking orders such as UNIT 1 ENGAGE HOSTEL 4. And that's pretty much it. There was no one at home and I still felt like a right tit.

The problem with the control method is it that it 'removes' you from the game. There is very little sense of the player having any impact on the game. It left me cold.

Both missions can be completed in 5 minutes. Wasn't that impressed with the graphics either. To be fair, the voice recognition performed almost flawlessly, responding immediately to my natural speech patterns. Certainly wasn't worth the wait.

+1 I felt stupid aswell so I just didnt use the headset! I agree with all the other stuff aswell!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I thought the voice recognition was pretty cool. Gave you a much faster response time in certain situations. Ordering WMDs was pretty satisfying too.

BUT! The game was cack! The way it locks your camera to a particular unit is a terrible design decision. You can't survey the terrain properly and plan your moves. Plus there's no way to setup a system of waypoints for your troops. No way I'm getting this, just go back to C&C. The game should be a tech demo for this kind of voice recognition implementation.

Also they should be a bit more creative with their voice orders. It'd be pretty sweet to be able to setup a series of attack moves with a waypoint planner and then order STRIKE TEAM ALPHA ENGAGE! Or even custom ones like "THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN BABY!" for all units converging on their HQ.

Maybe it'll be worth playing by the time they make Endwar 3:Ender's War :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Glad this is looking like a rent at best – far too much good stuff coming out in the next two months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Played a little bit of it, fairly ****e and will be deleting it.

Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Many thanks for the heads up, must say I'm disappointed as I was hoping it'd be a worthwhile download and eventual purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Plus there's no way to setup a system of waypoints for your troops. No way I'm getting this, just go back to C&C.

You can place waypoints...or well I did when I was messing around with it last night. think it was Y or B or something.But I hadnt my mic working at the time (you can play without the mic, but its alot harder) so I couldnt see how to use the waypoints with the mic.

I dont think its crap, I think there is alot of potential there, my main complaint with it is the unit design is very shallow, esp compared to every other RTS coming out in the last 2 years. Only a few units have secondary abilities when really with such a small selection of units at your disposal it would be better if every unit had 2 or 3 abilities which could be quickly used. World in Conflict (which it is based off essentially) had every unit having 2-3 abilities.

Also the support powers are pretty lame (again World in Conflict kicks its ass)

I didnt find the camera too bad. I tended to keep it locked on my choppers so I had a good view and barked orders from there.

Playing online its fun, there is alot more shoving and pushing in it then in say C&C or other more classic rts games, I found myself running my units all over the map, esp my choppers and transports.

my only other complaint is it doesnt explain the kill/survived feature very well. You can have units outrighted killed or you can have that some of them survive and evaced off the map but its completely random who survives and who dies.

if the full game has more depth to its units I would consider picking it up. at the moment, its easier to stick with its bigger cousin World in Conflict. Which is coming to the 360 and if the voice comm system was implemented in that it would be awesome and a must buy (even though I have it on pc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

I loved it, the camera didn't bother me too much and the voice commands appealed to my inner child immensely :D:D:D:D I found it removed the layers of s**** that alot of rts games hide themselves in and leaves just pure fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

There was no one at home and I still felt like a right tit.

ha ha ha funny

Advertisement