Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice: Changing from 530d - what to get???

Options
  • 16-10-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

So, we've an 03 E39 530d, & are thinking of changing for something with a smaller body (its a bit tricky getting into the [very tight] car space in the mrs's new job). Ideally looking for something as good to drive as what we have, leather, 4-door, RWD/4WD, budget up to 10k plus our own. Any suggestions on what to get???

Was looking at various 3-series, but went to test drive one today, and was really unimpressed. It was a 318 mSport, and we'd have to put a good few grand to our own to get:
    - not as nice a cabin
    - a smaller boot & less interior space
    - less power, feels way slower to drive
    - no low end power at all, need to keep the revs at 3k-6k
    - less mpg
    - all in a car that feels lighter & less solid than the 530d
    On the plus side, it cornered really well, although with the lack of power, I never felt I was getting near the limits of what the car could do.

So, what to look at next - 320d / 325i / 330d?
    Given the way the market is at the moment, I'm thinking of going for another 530d with parking sensors ...
    link to the one were selling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Simple - Audi A4!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Boots2006 wrote: »
    So, we've an 03 E39 530d, & are thinking of changing for something with a smaller body (its a bit tricky getting into the [very tight] car space in the mrs's new job). Ideally looking for something as good to drive as what we have, leather, 4-door, RWD/4WD, budget up to 10k plus our own. Any suggestions on what to get???

Was looking at various 3-series, but went to test drive one today, and was really unimpressed. It was a 318 mSport, and we'd have to put a good few grand to our own to get:
    - not as nice a cabin
    - a smaller boot & less interior space
    - less power, feels way slower to drive
    - no low end power at all, need to keep the revs at 3k-6k
    - less mpg
    - all in a car that feels lighter & less solid than the 530d
    On the plus side, it cornered really well, although with the lack of power, I never felt I was getting near the limits of what the car could do.

So, what to look at next - 320d / 325i / 330d?
    Given the way the market is at the moment, I'm thinking of going for another 530d with parking sensors ...
    link to the one were selling

don't think you can complain about a smaller boot and interior as you are looking for a smaller car. can hardly expect a similar sized boot and interior in a smaller car.

Since you want rwd or 4wd you really have to go for another bmw, lexus or merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Having changed from an e46 to an e39 myself, I really notice the difference - the e39 is a far nicer place to be.

If the parking is the only problem then I would spend my time looking at getting OEM or nice aftermarket PDC sensors fitted. I am sure there is some way they can be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

http://cgi.ebay.ie/bmw-330ci-m-sport_W0QQitemZ190258857550QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081013?IMSfp=TL081013123001r122#ebayphotohosting

Bargain, goes like a train and has an incredible spec. (no its not me selling it, but if I was in the market I'd snap his hand off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Hammertime wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/bmw-330ci-m-sport_W0QQitemZ190258857550QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081013?IMSfp=TL081013123001r122#ebayphotohosting

Bargain, goes like a train and has an incredible spec. (no its not me selling it, but if I was in the market I'd snap his hand off)

That 3er has dodgy written all over it,its been for sale a good while too.

To the OP just get some parking sensors,i have an e39 too and I still havent been in a better car thats made me want to change and mines 10 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness you went from a 530d down to a 318i which lets face it is an average car. You are bound to be disappointed. As others have pointed out when you downsize you are actually going to notice a difference in size otherwise it wouldn't be known as downsizing. :)

Minimun you should be looking at a 320d but if you were happy with the running costs of the 530d but not the size of the car then consider a 330d:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/3-Series/330-D/1219364/

Thinking outside the box:
    Alfa Romeo 159:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/159/Sportivo-150bhp/1050880/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

True, I should've expected a smaller car, pretty obvious really :o

I was surprised by the trim and general interior though. Might try a high spec 330d, see if thats any better - presumably the resale on them is hammered too due to the engine size ...

Might look into the Alfa thing, I recall a great trip up the Swiss alps in a hired 156 2.4 JTD ti a few years back :D ... not many of them about though (I looked when I got home...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

What about a Volvo s60 D5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Get an E60 530d

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

is it just me, or does anyone comprehend why you'd publish pics of your car covered in ****e ? Like, is that supposed to attract people ?:confused:

And the 996 and RR in the background, ditto...........I don't get it.

FWIW the car looks good in the 'clean' photo, probably the day after it was VRT'd !! - but manual, and no leather.....crumbs - knock 4k off for that, I would..... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It is an alcantara interior which may not be leather, but I can assure you is very comfortable. I know of people who have swapped their leather out in favour of it in fact.

I also don't think that a manual would be a deal breaker in the coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

galwaytt wrote: »
    is it just me, or does anyone comprehend why you'd publish pics of your car covered in ****e ? Like, is that supposed to attract people ?:confused:

+1.

Better off with just the header pic. The remainder do the advert zero favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - The E90 really needs a decent engine, automatic, and a good sprinkling of options - try a well-specified 320d/330d SE auto.

Advertisement