Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Bitch/Moan/Rant Thread.

Options

Comments

the whole sham that is Computer-****ing science, farce

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Sarchasm wrote: »
    did you skip transition year?

Yup.And I still don't regret that..

Much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Why do I have to be 17???I wasn't even allowed into my own class party for fecks sake!
    Get yourself a fake ID. Or better yet, a passport from a mate. The bouncers barely look at them up here. Hell, my friend showed them his passport that says he's 17 till December and he got into Tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

The anti-Mac stance of Quinn. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

And so begins my week in which I must hand in TWO essay assignments. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Buses:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Buses:mad:

Ha ha, welcome to UCD dude!:p The day I reach a Bus in time is the day hell has frozen over! (they usually annoyingly depart UCD straight after my lectures, why not wait until the hour hits?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Ha ha, welcome to UCD dude!:p The day I reach a Bus in time is the day hell has frozen over! (they usually annoyingly depart UCD straight after my lectures, why not wait until the hour hits?)
    I am talking about them not going to UCD after 9 anymore
    I am pretty lucky in the sense they wait for me:D(or I bang on the door):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

That economics in general sucks a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

55 minutes to get from UCD to St Stephen's Green this afternoon.

Grr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Crazy_marble

The printers...what idiot decided it'd be a good idea to default the printers to double-sided printing but not allow you to choose one-sided? Now I can't print out my thesis and it's going to cost me a fortune in copiprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The printers...what idiot decided it'd be a good idea to default the printers to double-sided printing but not allow you to choose one-sided? Now I can't print out my thesis and it's going to cost me a fortune in copiprint.
    You can choose one-sided, if you go in to Properties from the "Print" dialog.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I've nothing against foreigners or foreign people in Ireland, but it seriously annoys me when I come into a lecture and can't understand anything because of the lecturer's thick accent. I just find it so irritating that I'm spending an hour in class straining to hear this guy when I could have spent half that time reading through the stuff in a textbook.

It also pisses me off when I hear about people lying about their parents' income so as they'll get grants, but I guess that's not UCD's fault. I've heard of about three cases this year about people who get grants when they clearly do not deserve them, and end up just spending the money on clothes or going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

bnt wrote: »

Thanks for that. I hope that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

The 7 o'clock starts with six o'clock finishes are killing me. How to study, tired all the time!

Two essays to do. Not done much beyond the planning of them.

HELP!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

ccosgrave wrote: »
    I've nothing against foreigners or foreign people in Ireland, but it seriously annoys me when I come into a lecture and can't understand anything because of the lecturer's thick accent. I just find it so irritating that I'm spending an hour in class straining to hear this guy when I could have spent half that time reading through the stuff in a textbook.

Any chance this was a philosophy lecture? I know the guy personally, and he is aware of it now. Funny thing is he knows the stuff better than anybody else really bar the lecturers; at least in UCD. Most postgrads come from abroad. It's helpful being Irish as a tutor anyway thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

scop wrote: »
    Any chance this was a philosophy lecture? I know the guy personally, and he is aware of it now. Funny thing is he knows the stuff better than anybody else really bar the lecturers; at least in UCD. Most postgrads come from abroad. It's helpful being Irish as a tutor anyway thats for sure.

No, it was a biochemistry lecture. I don't doubt that they know their stuff and are quite well-versed, but transferring your understanding of the subject to your students is half the battle in lecturing, which is where this becomes a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Crazy_marble

Tried it, didn't work unfortunately. The IT girl in the Daedelus said she had gotten loads of people to try that but with no success and she had no idea what was wrong. I gave up and bought a few print cartridges. Thanks for the advice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I hate the way if you get certain result in the Lc and if it is enough above the course requirements you can get a grant.
    I know a handful of people who got a grant and they do not need it living at home no more than a 15 minute cycle from college (all of them) and obviously having enough money to not even expect the children to use that money towards college education expenses. The money just funded social lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

BrightEyes wrote: »
    I hate the way if you get certain result in the Lc and if it is enough above the course requirements you can get a grant.
    I know a handful of people who got a grant and they do not need it living at home no more than a 15 minute cycle from college (all of them) and obviously having enough money to not even expect the children to use that money towards college education expenses. The money just funded social lives.

Just an FYI, it's not actually a grant, it's a scholarship, and as opposed to a grant which aims to help people who cannot afford it to attend university, it's intended as an incentive for the best students to come to UCD.

And boo-urns to the howling wind on the walk across to Roebuck, consquently, I arrived in my tutorial looking like....

6a00c2251c69bcf21900c2251dd6c6604a-500pi

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The 7 o'clock starts with six o'clock finishes are killing me. How to study, tired all the time!

What course are you doing that you have to start at 7??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

I've just been copying a pasting each page from my notes/assignments onto a blank page in a new document. Then Ctrl and P. Then delete it from the new document. Then copy and paste the next bit. Etc etc.

All that repetition and button clicking is really relaxing.

And I think it was our SU president who got the double-sided printing in. At least I remember reading that somewhere.

Edit: My bitch rant moan......postgrad students with their own little rooms which are empty half the time. And people who leave their stuff at the computers in Library during peak time and feck off for 30/40/50/etc mins. And the acclaimed cold water from the 4th floor of the library....it tastes disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Alyosha wrote: »
    Edit: My bitch rant moan......postgrad students with their own little rooms which are empty half the time. And people who leave their stuff at the computers in Library during peak time and feck off for 30/40/50/etc mins. And the acclaimed cold water from the 4th floor of the library....it tastes disgusting.

This is because postgrads tend to have different hours than most students. They're the only rooms you'll see with people in them on Sundays at 10am.

Tried it, didn't work unfortunately. The IT girl in the Daedelus said she had gotten loads of people to try that but with no success and she had no idea what was wrong. I gave up and bought a few print cartridges. Thanks for the advice though.
    Which is weird, because I tried it again today at UCD, and it worked. (I didn't have the exact details last night.) What I did was: hit Properties, go to the Finishing tab, and set "Print On Both Sides" to "Off". Hit OK, hit Print, and the 2 pages I sent to the printer came out on 2 single-sided sheets. Here's a screenshot: simplexprint.GIF

edit: if this helps any of you... you owe me 10c. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

My turn for a bit of a moan, in two related parts:
    1. Lecturers who try and do the "audience participation" thing, when it's not called for. It sucks at rock concerts, it sucks at comedy shows, and it sucks at university. It's not simply about "knowing the answer" or not; sometimes there is very specific jargon that students need to know, and might not be able to recall at that moment.
      If I'm listening and taking notes, I'm in "the zone", and it hurts to be pulled out. I've had lecturers who get annoyed that students do not have photographic memories of stuff they did months ago. A reminder can take less time than it does to moan about it, so I don't see the point. :confused:
    2. However, when questions are asked, someone is persuaded to speak up, but doesn't answer the question perfectly... there's the giggling from the peanut gallery at the back. These are the "too cool for school" kiddies who don't seem to realise that university is not simply an extension of school.
      No wonder people sit in silence, refusing to speak up, if they are going to get grief from others for getting involved. Apparently, it's not good D4 behaviour to show any interest in a subject... but if you are interested, who cares what others think? You are not at university for them, are you? The giggling schoolkids at the back can bite me. :pac:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the library entrance card sensor can be more useful if it doesnt hold me like an idiot keep swapping my student card....my secret of holding the card 5cm above the sensor is not working this year(which is how i get over the annoying machine all these years)*sigh*

lecture class issue is just never gonna be solved,since you can never expect perfect lecturer even in very top class university,needless to say UCD :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BLARGLE way too much work to do this weekend. :(

Also - realising 3 weeks into a 4-week assignment that you really shouldn't have written it in Java.

These are the "too cool for school" kiddies who don't seem to realise that university is not simply an extension of school.
    No wonder people sit in silence, refusing to speak up, if they are going to get grief from others for getting involved. Apparently, it's not good D4 behaviour to show any interest in a subject... but if you are interested, who cares what others think? You are not at university for them, are you? The giggling schoolkids at the back can bite me. :pac:

That's the way you should look at it. You're there for the marks.

In UCD, 'tis better to avoid being silent and be thought a fool then to not open one's mouth and miss out on a mark. ;)

My rant - got to go to the opticians tomorrow and present him with my study-weary eyes. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I had an exam yesterday. It was 4 hours long and in the middle they asked if anyone wanted to go out for a smoke break. Can you imagine trying that in the RDS?

This isn't a bitch, moan or rant; really more of an observation.

Advertisement