Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power calls it

Options
  • 16-10-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Ireland's biggest bookmaker said Thursday it would pay out more than 1 million euros ($1.35 million) on bets that Barack Obama will be the next U.S. president, three weeks before the election.

Dublin-based bookmaker Paddy Power said it made the "unprecedented decision" to pay on bets taken so far, following Wednesday's final campaign debate between Obama and his Republican rival John McCain, which polls judged the Democrat to have won.

"We declare this race well and truly over and congratulate all those who backed Obama," Power said in a statement.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE49F4TZ20081016?rpc=401&

That's it folks, i think we are looking at a landslide victory.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Interesting - while I think it's now Obama's to lose it would be a killer for PP if it did go to McCain; double payout.

Anyone here get him at good odds so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

flogen wrote: »
    Interesting - while I think it's now Obama's to lose it would be a killer for PP if it did go to McCain; double payout.

Anyone here get him at good odds so?

PP Recently got screwed on Lisbon ;)

Also join BAPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The publicity will be worth more to them if McCain wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Don't forget PP paid out in advance of the Lisbon treaty result and got that very badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It isn't over until all the voting is done and counted. It was hubris and complacency that helped kill Kerry last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

They always do stuff like this. It's done for publicity sake, the free advertising they got more then offsets any costs. In anyway they will hedge by backing McCain on exchanges so don't look at this at anything other then PP marketing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Yeah it's gotta be a Publicity stunt, McCain will win ... guarantee it .. it's like in LA (i think) a few years ago a black guy and white guy were going for mayor .. the black guy was way ahead on opinion polls ... but lost ...

they call it white fright .. a lot of people will say the will vote for Obama .. but on the day will vote for McCain .. it's a sad state of affairs ,, but it will be due to the colour of his skin ...

shame ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Very good marketing Paddy. It's nowhere near decided.
    jackdaw wrote: »
    they call it white fright .. a lot of people will say the will vote for Obama .. but on the day will vote for McCain .. it's a sad state of affairs ,, but it will be due to the colour of his skin ...

This is true. It's happened many times where people tell pollsters what they think the pollsters want to hear, but do something different in practice/private.

However, Obama supporters maintain that this will easily be outweighed by the fact that substantial numbers of young people and black people, who have never voted before, will turn out to vote.

It's a bit like Karl Rove targetting 3 million Christian fundamentalists in the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

jackdaw wrote: »
    Yeah it's gotta be a Publicity stunt, McCain will win ... guarantee it .. it's like in LA (i think) a few years ago a black guy and white guy were going for mayor .. the black guy was way ahead on opinion polls ... but lost ...

shame ...

While I'm not saying it couldn't happen again, the election you're referring to was in 1982 and there are, for instance, far more african americans and hispanics registered to vote now than then. And they're not voting for McCain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

How much longer is this pr trick going to keep getting press.

Paddy power know that McCain is a 6/1 shot or 7/1 whatever. They know their risks very well and the price of being wrong times the prob of being wrong is less than the value of advertising they recieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hippo wrote: »
    While I'm not saying it couldn't happen again, the election you're referring to was in 1982 and there are, for instance, far more african americans and hispanics registered to vote now than then. And they're not voting for McCain.

But are they in states where democrats always win anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

serfboard wrote: »
    However, Obama supporters maintain that this will easily be outweighed by the fact that substantial numbers of young people and black people, who have never voted before, will turn out to vote.

the young and blacks are also the more likely to not bother voting even though they said they would.

Paddy Power is trying to out do Michael O' Leary with the stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

But are they in states where democrats always win anyway?

Apparently not. In any case the original point was that people were likely to disguise their racism when answering pollsters questions. My point was that as that was in 26 years ago it's not unreasonable to assume that circumstances and attitudes may have changed in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's simple really. In order to stop allowing people to bet on Obama they must first pay out for those who have already bet on him. It's just them saving themselves from more losses in the long run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Inquitus wrote: »
    Also join BAPS!

Is this subliminal messaging ?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

It is just a way of generating publicity, and even if McCain does win and they end up with a double payout, it's unlikely that they'll lose out that much. How many people bet on the US Election compared to horses/football/lotto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I really hope so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Its called 'the Bradley Effect'. Here's a good article about it-
    http://www.sacbee.com/812/story/1141286.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

It's simple really. In order to stop allowing people to bet on Obama they must first pay out for those who have already bet on him. It's just them saving themselves from more losses in the long run.
    Have you ever heard of odds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Guy in the London times says that there's also the opposite of the Bradley effect - people in Virginia saying they're voting McCain but voting Obama in the anonymity of the secret ballot.

just stuck my balance of €8 from my betfair on mccain. Last time I used it was during african nations so it was 8euro id probably never realise.

If the secret racist vote is as powerful as i suspect I gets €50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

That's €8 you'll never see again.

Why hasn't 'the secret racist vote' effected the polls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

just stuck my balance of €8 from my betfair on mccain. Last time I used it was during african nations so it was 8euro id probably never realise.

If the secret racist vote is as powerful as i suspect I gets €50!

Are you expecting a "get out the (klan) vote" movement from the gop or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Paddy Power has started paying out on Obama.

Interestingly, they're still accepting bets, though. That's a bit odd.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So people can bet and get paid at the same time, win win.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    That's €8 you'll never see again.

Why hasn't 'the secret racist vote' effected the polls?

This thread has kind of explained that. I don't expect I'll win but I explained my reasons why it was 8 euro I'm unlikely to see anyway/

Advertisement