Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a Dell Optiplex into a regular desktop

Options
  • 16-10-2008 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'll get the obligatory 'I know nothing' out of the way first. But it's true, I know very little about computers short of switching them on and then looking up sites like this online.

Anyway, my scenario is this: I have a 5/6 (more) year old small form factor Dell Optiplex GX(?) 270 with P4 chip and I want to rework this as the mother board has developed a fault. I'm not looking for any extra performance as my requirements are meagre just to get back to where I was computerwise sotospeak. The repair shop I've taken it to said you could get another Optiplex motherboard for a P4 but these are reknowned apparently for developing problems.

Alternatively they've said that if I pick up an empty full size tower case on ebay and a motherboard for a P4 chip they could transfer the rest of the optiplex components into this.

My questions are these - will any make of motherboard for a P4 work with the Dell Optiplex stuff? And would I need a case with a PSU or would the Dell one transfer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Is the PSU used in the small form factor Dell Optiplexs compatible with a normal chasis(?) - you know, the regular, tower shaped cases? Would I be able to transfer this across to the bigger case along with all the other components or would you need to start off with an empty case that already has a PSU?

Again, not being familiar with motherboards, is one that was made for a P4 chip (the micro-processor in my Dell) essential or could another, more modern motherboard be adapted to work with a P4?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would be a socket 478 motherboard, very outdated by easy to find 2nd hand on the likes of adverts.ie or ebay. Different sockets have completely different configurations (ie Socket 478 processors have pins, Socket 775 - the current- is pinless) so they're not interchangable.

Your P4 will work in any compatiable motherboard, as will all your components - Hard Drive, Optical Drive, network/video/audio if they're not onboard, etc. The only thing that probably won't be standard is the PSU, Dell used to use propriarty parts. That's not to say it won't work, it just won't be of a normal standard and might require a little bit of handiwork. But a new PSU capable of powering such an old setup wouldn't cost more then 25-30 for a semi-decent one. Again, Adverts or ebay can be your friend on this, 250-300w decent PSUs can be gotten for 10-15 euro. Of course, you can get 400w psu's for 10 euro brand new on Dabs.ie, but does anyone trust these?

Basically a new case, psu and motherboard and you're sorted - shouldn't cost more then 50-60 euro if gotten 2nd hand, and that would be decent components. You could do a budget job and get a cheap case froms dabs.ie, for example they have cases with 400w psus for 20 euro - but the board will have to be bought 2nd hand.

It would be a socket 478 motherboard, very outdated by easy to find 2nd hand on the likes of adverts.ie or ebay. Different sockets have completely different configurations (ie Socket 478 processors have pins, Socket 775 - the current- is pinless) so they're not interchangable.
    This is the beauty of boards, there's always someone on hand with the advice you're after. Having done a bit more research - running into a very steep learning curve in the process - I was just coming back here to ask about this very socket scenario.

So I need a motherboard with the 478: well, that narrows things down considerably. Are there any other features required for my P4 chip that would limit the range of compatible motherboards even further? Or will any with the 478 socket suffice? Say if I was to pick up an old machine sold for parts that ran a PIII chip, for example, would the motherboard in this have the 478 socket?

On the PSU front I've read - as you've mentioned - about the proprietary PSUs in the old Dell Optiplexes. It seems (but I stand to be corrected) these aren't compatible with an ATX motherboard, so I will need to get a case with one included.

Just read that the PIII plugged into a socket 370 so I guess a motherboard made for such a chip can't be connected to the P4? However, I have also read that some of the Prescott (everytime I read that I keep having this bizarre vision of a minaturised, fat John Prescott running about inside my computer trying to operate it while slabbering over pints of bitter and kebabs! Ooh, I feel sullied.) models of the P4 HT chip were made to attach to the LGA 775.

I don't suppose there's a chance that my Optiplex actually had a Prezza P4 HT instead of just a P4? Not likely, I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MT wrote:
    On the PSU front I've read - as you've mentioned - about the proprietary PSUs in the old Dell Optiplexes. It seems (but I stand to be corrected) these aren't compatible with an ATX motherboard, so I will need to get a case with one included.
    I think this only applied to the PIII's where DELL started making the psu's before the ATX standard. - then again the PSU is the wrong shape for other cases and not sure if the motherboard would fit.

• Advertisement

Although the wrong shape for a standard case do you think that there would would be some unorthodox way of fixing a Dell PSU in place? I mean it surely couldn't be too big as the Dell SFF cases are much smaller than the standard to begin with. Would it just be that the screw holes wouldn't match up but that the thing could still be connected to the motherboard... meaning that it would just be a matter a physically holding it in place?

I've been looking at computing section for socket 478 motherboards on ebay and there's something puzzling me about the listings. Now I know that I'm after a regular ATX form factor one but there seem (or maybe not) to be two other variables that have cropped up.

You can click on a clock speed range to refine your selection further; there's also a variety of chipsets you can choose from. But don't these refer to extras on top of a basic motherboard: the first describing the CPU and the latter something else, neither of which presumably I need if I've already got the P4 chip and just want the motherboard on its own.

However, when I clicked on the 2.5ghz - 2.9ghz range, I was taken to a list of motherboards which still didn't have any chips! So now I'm wondering whether you not only need a socket 478 motherboard for a P4 chip but even more specifically it needs to be a match for a particular range of giga-hertz that your CPU falls into? As for a chipset: I don't even know what they are!

Or is it the case that this is all misleading and that in fact any ATX form factor, socket 478 motherboard will work with my P4 chip?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

This page might give you an idea of what exactly you have, and where to go from there.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/index.htm

As far as I know the motherboards between form factors are all the same, it's just the space inside and PSU's that are different (all other parts interchangable) (the desktop has an extra board added to the bottom, to extend the number of PCI slots available - yours probably has just a brown connector at the bottom edge, though there may be variations).

Do you know what speed your processor is? If it's not above 2.6MHz, and your hard drive isn't SATA, you could even go down to a GX260 motherboard (it should fit - if you need dimensions, ask me), plenty available on eBay, not bad price, and no major problems like the GX270's faulty capacitors. A nice stable machine, I'm using one myself. It only has 2 RAM slots though, so if you're using all 4 on the GX270, you'll only get use out of two of them in the GX260 (max is 2GB: 2x1GB).

Thanks for that link, biologikal: it could come in very useful as I'm now thinking of doing the upgrade myself (computer shop have turned out to be pricey!).

That's a good idea about going for the motherboard in a GX260. I'd thought about purchasing a motherboard from a GX280 but wasn't sure whether these would be compatible with the P4 chip and the rest of my components. However, I then read that these too had been affected by over-filled capacitors swelling up just like their GX270 counterparts; the thought of another failure down the line just put me off completely.

So you're saying the GX260 motherboards have never developed the capacitor problems of the other two? In that case that route might just be the best option as I'm looking to get the machine back on its feet for as little as possible.

My P4 is 2.6ghz so would this work with the GX260 motherboard? How can I tell if my hard drive is SATA - is that printed on it and what do the letters stand for? As I only use my computer for surfing the net, emails and watching the odd video on youtube... oh, and watching dvds do you think I could get away with only 2GB of RAM?

Finally, when this whole changeover is complete will I need to reinstall windows or will that still be on the hard drive/chip or wherever it lives? Sorry for bombarding you with questions.:o

Well, I can't say categoretically that if you buy a GX260, that you're not going to have problems with it. If you google "GX260 capacitor problems", you will come across some threads where people will state that they *thought* the GX260s and GX270s had issues, then technical people coming in saying that they had zero problems with the GX260's, and only problems with the GX270's and GX280's (*I* think the problem was with A LOT of GX270s and a few GX280's).

Anyway, check this link to see if your hard drive is IDE (left) or SATA (right):

http://www.maadiran.com/persian/IMAGES/sata-pata.jpg

And this link will show you hard drives, SATA on the top, IDE on the bottom.

http://archive.64bits.se/guider/pcbyggarskola/sata.jpg

Can you identify your hard drive? If the cable on the left of the picture is used, then it's IDE; if it's the right, then it's SATA. If it is SATA, then you won't be able to use it with the GX260 (without purchasing a PCI>SATA board).

The 2.6MHz processor will be fine. RAM used should also be interchangable. 2GB is more than enough for what you need (I'm using 384MB myself, and it's grand, though I just ordered a 1GB stick a couple of days ago).

I'm not absolutely sure about dropping in a hard drive from a GX270 to a GX260, and it working straight off the bat. Obviously there will be some differences in the architecture and required drivers, but it *might* work - someone else might be able to give you an idea if it would work (I've tried dropping a hard drive from a P3 into a totally unrelated P4, and it didn't work, but maybe there are sufficent similarities between the GX260 and GX270 that it might at least be able to get going, and tie up any loose ends with required drivers).

Like the link I gave for the GX270, here's similar for the GX260:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/index.htm

• Advertisement

Just one other point - are you absolutely sure that the motherboard is at fault? Did they test it? Were the caps obviously bulging? Did they check the power supply (PSU) to see if it was functioning correctly? What symptoms was the PC exhibiting when you knew there was something wrong with it?

I just ask because at work there are a lot of Dells, and the most common problem is with the PSU. (Incidently, there is a GX270, and it's been fine).

EDIT: Also, after looking at the data pages, it might be important to determine whether you have a small-form or desktop computer if you're going to go for a GX260 motherboard - there might be some differences in dimensions/mounting holes/rear outputs/internal connections, that might cause problems if you choose the wrong one. I'd be fairly confident that a small-form GX260 motherboard would fit in a small-form GX270 case, but not so sure that a desktop GX260 motherboard would fit in a small-form GX270 case.

Also, I read that Dell were replacing these motherboards up until Jan 2008, that's not too long ago - you wouldn't chance your arm and see if they would replace it?

I haven't got access to the computer at the moment as it's in the repair shop but - from the cursary check I gave the inards myself - I've a sneaking suspicion that the hard drive might be SATA. I say this only because there were a number of wide 'strap' like connectors amongst the components just like the one you've shown to indicate the presence of a SATA hard drive in that first pic. But then could there be other components using that form of wiring regardless of whether a SATA hard drive is present? Maybe it's quite a universal type of connector cable; as you can see I don't know much about computers!

The wider "strap" (blue in the first pic, usually called a ribbon cable) is the (older technology) IDE; if your hard drive is connected using this type of connector, it will be fine in the GX260. The thing is, if you have a DVD/CD player/burner, it will probably use the same type of connector, and if you have a floppy drive, it will use a similar looking, though narrower width "ribbon".

If you look at the picture here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/sffabou6.jpg

If the connection at number 6 is in use, then it's likely that your hard drive is a SATA.

Oh, right! I got mixed up there: SATA uses the thin 'single wire' cable in that first pic, IDE the ribbon cable. Well, I'll just have to get the computer back so that I can do a concrete check.

From looking at the links you've provided to those Dell support pages my GX270 looks to be the small desktop model and not the small form-factor version I'd previously thought it was. However, I'd always wondered why my Dell case was a slightly different shape - and a bit bigger - than the small form-factor ones that used to be in the local library.

Do you reckon a GX260 motherboard will fit into a GX270 small desktop chasis (correct word?)?
    I'm not absolutely sure about dropping in a hard drive from a GX270 to a GX260, and it working straight off the bat. Obviously there will be some differences in the architecture and required drivers, but it *might* work - someone else might be able to give you an idea if it would work...
    Does this imply that some software wizardry with Windows/ms dos, etc. will be required on my part? If that's the case this is where this whole exercise could go pear shaped!

On the issue of it actually being the fault of the motherboard: I can't be certain. That was just the opinion of the guy at the computer shop after he took a look but he only assumed this as the PSU was thought to be fine. Interestingly, he did say that there was no swelling of the capacitors at this stage but advised me that this would happen in due course. So maybe there's a possibility he's mistaken and the motherboard's fine.

I wonder has he missed a fault in the PSU. Symptom wise, the problem started when I turned the computer on and the screen went black and the thing seemed to power down but not go off completely. I then found that if I waited for a bit - leaving it in that state and not turning it off completely - and then turned it off and on it would power up properly and come on. However, this period of leaving it with a blank screen before I could do the off/on thing grew longer and longer.

Typically, I 'lived' with this and put off getting the thing checked as I use my computer daily and didn't want it sitting in the shop for ages. Myopic or what! Anyway the crunch finally came when I switched the thing on recently and it didn't power up at all, instead it just went straight to dos, with a message appearing on the screan saying something along the lines of 'cannot locate primary drive, press F1 to reboot or F2 to enter setup'. I could go into setup but didn't know what to do there!

But thinking about it surely you couldn't access dos or setup if the motherboard was wrecked, or am I way off here?

I have to admit that I can't say for certain if a GX260 motherboard will fit in your GX270 chassis. The GX260 motherboard looks like this:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/sysbrda.jpg

Whilst your small desktop looks like this:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/sdabou12.jpg

From what I understand, the GX260 small-form and small-desktop use the same motherboards as in the first picture above, but without the piece towards the right, marked "7"; this is only in the mini-tower.

Having said that, I *think* the cases/chassis are more or less the same between the GX260 and GX270 (I KNOW the GX260 and GX270 mini-towers are the same; I'm just not certain if the small-desktops are similarly interchangable). The design of the GX260 and much older GX150 in mini-tower flavour are also the same. But I'd find it hard to believe that Dell changed the design of the chassis at other scales, so the chances are that GX260 and GX270 small-desltop chassis are the same (from a manufacturing/cost point of view, it wouldn't make much sense to change).

I'll have a talk to someone at work who would have a more intimate knowledge on the subtle differences tomorrow, and see if I can see one of each and compare them.

I can also take a photo of my GX260 and/or give you measurements/locations of mount holes, so you can compare with your own. I think that if your hard drive isn't SATA, then going with a GX260 will be the cheapest and least complicated way of going about getting it up and running again. That should be the first thing to determine.

As for your other question, if you put the GX260 motherboard in, if the operating system can boot up on the hardware, then it should be able to find all the drivers it needs to adjust to the new motherboard, automatically. If it doesn't boot, then you're looking at a fresh install.

About the PSU, if it's booting even to the set-up, the PSU might be fine. Can you hear/feel the fan blowing air out the back (check near where the power cord goes into the back). Check to see if the power-on light is green (or orange). The fact that the computer can't find drives might mean that the capacitors are beginning to fail (I'll see if I can dig up the place where I read that the problem was degenerative with the GX270, that they wouldn't just fail suddenly, and it sound's like what you've experienced). I would check all connections when I got the PC back though, just to rule that out, unless the PC guy already checked that.

Oh, thanks very much for taking the time to look into this for me, biologikal. :)

If you could take a photograph/provide details of the mounting locations that would be fantastic. But I suppose if that guy you work with could confirm that the chassis in the small desktop GX260s and GX270s are the same then all the better. I'll get the thing back and take a look to see if the hard drive is IDE. Fingers crossed it is!

As for the PSU, yeah, the fan was always running when the computer was switched on; if I remember correctly the power-on light would also come on. Can't remember if it stayed green or went to orange when the thing wouldn't fully come on, would that matter?

When you say 'check all the connections' do you just mean to make sure the fan and power light come on or inspect the wiring and plugs?

No problem, I'm in a position to possibly be a help, so I'll try.

What I'll do is talk to someone at work tomorrow, see what he thinks, and see if I can compare directly a GX260 and GX270 small-desktop motherboard, shouldn't be too much bother, if they're easily to hand.

By connections, I mean all the wiring/plugs/connectors inside. Hard, DVD and floppy drives all have 2 connections, one for data (connected to motherboard), and one for power (connected directly to the PSU). Simply unplugging and replugging both should be sufficient. If it's dusty inside (and I know the smaller volumed cases can get dusty), give them a blow, or a blast with compressed air if you have access, or even a quick vacuum (if using a vacuum, just be careful that the nozzle doesn't slam against the motherboard, or any other parts). The RAM should also be taken out and replaced (reseated). You should also be advised to ground yourself frequently (touch a radiator or similar grounded object) to prevent damage to electronic circuits from any static on your body. Also, do this all with the PC disconnected from the mains.

If the power button is flashing orange, and the PC is not starting, then it's usually a PSU problem. But yours is starting, so it may not be a PSU problem.

Ok, depending on whether you have the small-form or small-desktop, there may be an issue with the orientation of the IDE connectors, because I'm not sure how much room there is off that edge. When you get your PC back, open it up, and have a look at the edge opposite where the mouse/keyboard/etc are plugged in, and see if the ribbon cables (connected to floppy/etc) are plugged straight down into the motherboard, or if they are as if plugged in at the edge. Taking a picture if you can would help.

This is especially important to know if you have a small-form case. If yours is a small-desktop, then you should be fine with a GX260. There are a couple of other things to point out, but I won't go into those before I know if your hard drive is IDE or SATA.

Mine is definitly a small desktop and not the small-form, so I should be fine then with the GX260 motherboard?

Right, so I need to unplug and then plug back in all the components - both the motherboard and PSU connections on each - and then detach and reseat the RAM. Is removing the RAM a fiddly operation where I'm liable to break something with a heavily placed pinky or is it fairly straight forward? But all of this is just to make doubly sure that there's nothing wrong with the PSU?

I've already given the inards a clean - just before I left the thing in to be checked - by very gently dusting the components with a soft paint brush. I took the fan apart and cleaned it out as well.

Still haven't had a chance to pick the computer up yet but I'll try to get it over the weekend.

MT wrote: »
    Mine is definitly a small desktop and not the small-form, so I should be fine then with the GX260 motherboard?

You still need to determine whether the hard drive is IDE or SATA; if it is IDE, then there is a good chance, but it would be a good idea to check the IDE connection orientation (as I explained in my previous post), and it would also be a good idea to photograph the back or your motherboard mounting tray, so I can compare it against mine, to be absolutely sure. So when you get it back, check the hard drive type, then reseat the connections as you've outlined above, then check if it's powering/starting up. With the RAM, just make sure the clips either side are open fully when you are removing, and then replacing the RAM modules - the GX270 links I provided before explain how to do all this.
    MT wrote: »
    Right, so I need to unplug and then plug back in all the components - both the motherboard and PSU connections on each - and then detach and reseat the RAM. Is removing the RAM a fiddly operation where I'm liable to break something with a heavily placed pinky or is it fairly straight forward? But all of this is just to make doubly sure that there's nothing wrong with the PSU?

I've already given the inards a clean - just before I left the thing in to be checked - by very gently dusting the components with a soft paint brush. I took the fan apart and cleaned it out as well.
    Still haven't had a chance to pick the computer up yet but I'll try to get it over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, that was a bit of a delay. I got the computer back at the weekend but haven't had time to check the connections; however, the hard drive does appear to be IDE - it's connected by the ribbon cable that you've described.

So now it's a matter of doing the connections and taking a few pics before we go any further.

Here are the pics of the motherboard, etc...

Model sticker:
    3028874027_fd85ea672c.jpg

Going on what the case looks like, it clearly seems to be a small-desktop:
    3029707680_02b17ea01b.jpg

The innards:
    3028867795_057b5835f4.jpg

The ribbon cable from the hard drive:
    3029701904_44ae8a5f75.jpg

That side of the motherboard beside the PSU that differs on some GXs:
    3029702820_8371cdc74d_b.jpg

The orientation of the socket for the hard drive:
    3028868799_4c74fc7cc0.jpg

...with the plug from the ribbon cable removed:
    3028871013_079a5ac28a.jpg

You wanted a pic of the back of the motherboard mounting tray, is this it?
    3028868083_13bd3082c6.jpg

...the GX 270 has two extra USB sockets on the left, I think:
    3028871847_1d2127785d.jpg

Not sure if you can make it out from these shots but the capacitors have begun to swell:
    3028870249_8b93954f0d.jpg

3029704124_07df6f8fd3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

I'd say they are a close match, but the important bit is the underside of the mounting tray, as there are holes on the case that match up with lugs on the tray, to mount it in place. Location of the securing tab may also be important, in the first picture below of a GX260, it's off to the left edge, and is green.

The second image shows the top side of a GX260. Most connectors are probably in similar positions, but it would be a good idea to check by taking your motherboard and mounting tray out, photographing like I have, then comparing them.

Mounting tray is approx 25cm x 25.75cm. The securing tab (it's centre) is 9.25cm in from it's nearest corner. Distance between red dots is 16.8cm. Distance between blue dots is 15.5cm.

EDIT: Do you use anything in the card-cage? I imagine on yours, it plugs into one of the white ports (PCI) underneath it. Could be a problem if they're not in the same position, and you need to use extra PCI cards. (AGP port looks like it's in the same position, and I see you're using that)

Oh dear, I don't think this is going to work. Where the screw hole is positioned along the edge that has three ribbon cable sockets (hard drive, etc.) is different on each board: on the GX260 board the hole is to the left with only the slightly different ribbon socket to the left of it again; the GX270 has the hole more to the right between the two similiar looking ribbon sockets.

GX270 motherboard removed from case and mounting tray:
    3031549909_ab6d81f0f6_b.jpg

I wouldn't worry about where the screw-hole is located; the important thing is the location of the securing tab on the tray, and the lugs underneath the securing tray (these attach it to your case). If these are matching up on your GX270 tray and my GX260 tray (and other dimensions are the same), then it should be ok, as long as (if) you get a GX260, that you also get a GX260 mounting tray with it (any I've seen on eBay often do).

You really need to compare the trays, as it's the tray that attaches to your case (the screw holds the motherboard to the tray).

...If these are matching up on your GX270 tray and my GX260 tray (and other dimensions are the same), then it should be ok, as long as (if) you get a GX260, that you also get a GX260 mounting tray with it (any I've seen on eBay often do).
    Yeah, getting a tray to go with the GX260 motherboard kinda dawned on me after I'd made that last post.

This is the underside of my GX270's motherboard:
    3037246549_71c5905bbf_b.jpg
    As on yours, the distance between the red dots is 16.8cm and for the the blue dots 15.5cm as well; however, while the same width it is a longer tray from front to back - about 28cm or 29cm. So the lugs on the tray and the corresponding holes in the case floor must be the same in most models. It stands to reason that they probably used the same cases across the GX range. So I'd say I could get away with the GX260 tray, etc.

However, the heatsink differs from one to the other but, as they don't often seem to be supplied with the boards on ebay, etc., I wonder could I transfer the one from the GX270 board. With that in mind you wouldn't able to give me the distances between the elongated holes in your tray for the heatsink bracket?

Having said all this, I've now spotted a number of GX270 motherboards on ebay that are described as having been refurbished: the capacitors have apparently been replaced at a factory. What do you make of these and is there any way of telling if it isn't just a new set of capacitors from the company that botched the manufacture of the original ones?

Ok, well it doesn't look like the GX260 tray will fit your case fully. The important part is the securing tab along the edge - it looks like its the right distance from the corner, but as you say, the tray overall is too long in that direction (extra RAM slots adding to this dimension). Whilst you will get the lugs to line up, it's the securing tab that stops the tray sliding off the lugs when you start plugging things into the connectors on the back. Now, unless there are two notches in your case that will take either size tray... (If you were handy with a drill and Dremel, it would be very easy to make the smaller GX260 tray secure inside the GX270 case).

Also, the heatsink wouldn't be a problem. The mechanism is slightly different, but the heatsink recepticles/mounts (or whatever it's called) will take the same sized/shaped heatsink. Unfortunately I'm away from that PC for the next week, so can't measure until then.

Anyway, don't know what to say about the refurbished GX270s, though if I was to go for any, it would be the one sealed in the anti-static bag with the refurbished sticker on it. Maybe have a look at the sellers feedback, and see if he/she has sold any already, and any comments on them. I think as long as they guarantee that it's working, and if it lasts a couple of years, maybe it will be a suitable solution for you. Ultimately it's your choice. I've read good reports on refurbished GX270's on the net. Google for them to help make up your mind.

...The important part is the securing tab along the edge - it looks like its the right distance from the corner, but as you say, the tray overall is too long in that direction (extra RAM slots adding to this dimension). Whilst you will get the lugs to line up, it's the securing tab that stops the tray sliding off the lugs when you start plugging things into the connectors on the back....
    Is the securing tab you're referring to the shiny plate (stainless steel?) at the front end of the tray with the small green handle: the thing beside the pressed boss that the board screws into?
    3031547411_0a2549bc5d_b.jpg
    I haven't got a Dremel but I see the possibilties here.

Do you think a refurbished GX270 motherboard would have a shorter working life, lasting maybe only a year or two?

Yes, the securing tab has a bit of green on it, part of the shiny metal plate you refer to. The important bit is the small sharp piece (under the green tab IIRC), and this mates with a groove in the case plate to stop it sliding back off the lugs. You probably had to lift this tab to be able to slide the tray off the lugs.

If you went for a GX260 and tray, it would be very easy (with the right tools) to made the needed groove where it's needed. Even if that didn't work out ok, with a simple drill and a couple of bolts, you could fix the tray in the case semi-permanently; it's not like you would need quick access to remove the board and tray anyway (how many time had you taken them out before a week or two ago?).

I'd say a refurbished GX270 should last a long time, many years perhaps, if it's been done well. Chances are that the capacitors used are good, and if it comes sealed in a bag with an official sticker on it (like one of your links in your PM) it's likely to have been tested and passed. I can't guarantee anything though of course, any electronic component on any board could fail at any time. I'd be inclined to think that a refurbished board would outlive any OS or software upgrades you may need in the future that will require a higher spec computer.

• Advertisement

I contacted the guy who'd listed the refurbished board - the one in the sealed package - on ebay and he got back to me with the following:
    '...The other option is to have your existing motherboard recaped. I do provide this service if you are interested. I have recaped 25+ GX270 + 1 GX280 boards this year. The GX270 motherboards common fault is the 2 sets of capacitors that become domed and/or leak. These are the 9x 1800uf 6.3v caps and 5x 1500uf 6.3v caps and they are usually Nichicon or Rubycon branded caps. I use replacement Panasonic, Sanyo and better quality Rubycon capacitors when I refurbish a board and run Dell diagnostic software to check it works. ...'

Prior to that he explained that he'd purchased four of the refurbished boards and had tested one that hadn't been pre-sealed with a P4 2.4ghz chip. It worked fine and he reckoned the boards should be able to take the 2.8ghz in my machine.

Advertisement