Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL(waterfod) traffic shaping/messing with rapidshare.com

Options
  • 16-10-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

The last two nights i've been messed about on rapidshare.com and looks to me very suspicous on NTL's part can download about 700mb at full tilt then it drops down to zero and the last couple of pieces won't finish.

Even trying to surf to rapidshare.com after this brings brings up a blank screen (internet explorer cannot display) this has happened 4 times over the past two days.

I can resume the download maybe like an hour later which suggests to me that there allowing 650mb per hour from rapidshare.com and no more

Anyone else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

If you're downloading all the time they have right to cap your speed, it's in the fair usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

BB has been ****e for me in general down here recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Flyer1 wrote: »
    If you're downloading all the time they have right to cap your speed, it's in the fair usage policy.

No, they don't.

If he exceeds his cap, they have a right to enforce the fair usage policy. However, if he is on the 10mbps or 20mbps services - then they cannot legally enforce the fair usage policy as the requirements categorically state "if the user exceeds the stated cap" - to which the 10mbps & 20mbps services do not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm more inclined to blame rapidshare as they seem to redistribute the loads and files over servers on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dlofnep wrote: »
    If he exceeds his cap, they have a right to enforce the fair usage policy. However, if he is on the 10mbps or 20mbps services - then they cannot legally enforce the fair usage policy as the requirements categorically state "if the user exceeds the stated cap" - to which the 10mbps & 20mbps services do not have.

First sentence of of Section 4 covers them.

• Advertisement

UPC haven't yet started to implement traffic shaping as virgin media do in the UK. But its probably only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

Well i can't go over my cap it was only installed 2 days ago and i've tried to download 4 items with a size of about 800mb

It downloads at lightning fast pace till about 650mb then flashget speeds drop down to 0kbs. I check other interent pages they load fine i check speedtest it shows 20mb and then i just try and load rapidshare.com and i get nothing it won't allow me to connect.

I then leave it for half an hour go back and i can thne resume my download until its finished or until i hit about 650mb again.

If that doesn't look like some kind site restriction based around the amount of information that is downloaded i don't know what does to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

partypiper wrote: »
    If that doesn't look like some kind site restriction based around the amount of information that is downloaded i don't know what does to be honest

Yes but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is the isp that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I wouldn't touch flashget if I were you. It was used to distribute virus's not long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 armtrak

Hi guys! I have same problem as described by Partypiper. Suddenly rapidshare speed drops to zero and their website is unaccessible for about 20 mins. I have Broadband Express with NTL, there's no limits of downloading. What a hell is going on there?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I am using flash get with Speed Download (downloads files with 10 concurrent connections) and I get 2.4MB per sec constantly with this from rapidshare on Chorus. If I download normally I get crap speeds from rapidshare.

Advertisement